Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub Prime Lenders

Options
  • 08-07-2008 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong category.

Myself and my partner are currently trying to buy our first house but unfortunately my credit history is not great. (basically borrowed money for another person through a separate account and they stopped paying it back)

Anyway, just wondering if there is anyway of getting around using a sub prime lender, or if this is my only option which one is the best to use?

Thanks
    alottodo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Some banks will look at it on a case by case basis.

IIB are particularly good especially if you can show them ability to pay and have more than normal deposit. (approx. 15%)

If the situation with the bad credit is cleared at this stage, you shouldn't have too much of a problem if your expalnation is acceptable.

They may also insist that any current loans either of you you have are cleared.

Irish Nationwide & EBS are also ones to consider.

Avoid the subprime providers at all costs unless absolutely necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 alottodo

It's been paid off since last Feb but banks (PTSB, AIB, BOI, Ulster Bank) all seem reluctant to help, I will try the banks you mentioned.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I wouldn't necessarily take this too personally.

The lending criteria have been tightened significantly in recent months, including a stress test to see if the loan is affordable if interest rates go to 8%. Head offices can override approvals given at branch level. Many banks don't actually have all that much money to lend due to the cost of interbank finance.

Avoid the sub-primes. Remember also that, in many cases, trying to buy a house at the moment is like catching a falling knife.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking, Insurance and Pensions.

dudara

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

IIB are sub prime lenders albeit not the most expensive of the breed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Does it show up as a completed debt on your ICB?

If you must go with a sub lender watch out for crazy interest rates. I've seen quotes with interest rates as high as 9%. When banks are where doing them at 5%. If its your only option I would be renting. In a few years time with a good run account you could be able to get a bank to give you a mortgage. The difference in interest rates could be years added onto the mortgage and 10000's extra money paid out.

Advertisement