Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband without a phoneline

Options
  • 08-07-2008 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to set up broadband in my house - I recently set up an eircom account at a rate of €30 per month for 2MB broadband which I was pretty happy with.

However, I then found out that I must pay line rental, and I ended up with a "broadband and talktime" package or some nonsense, at a total of about €55 per month, which I immediately cancelled; I felt €55 per month was a little excessive just for broadband.

Is there any way of getting around paying for line rental, or what would be the best service provider in my scenario?

I live in Dublin (Dundrum) so availability shouldn't be an issue

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

NTL seem popular at the minute :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Metro/Wireless/Cable/Fibre

All DSL services find some way of charging for line rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

watty wrote: »

Cheers - would Digiweb Metro be any good? It's the first I found after searching

Is it slower than DSL or what is the disadvantage?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Never assume that availability won’t be an issue, the broadband market is, at the moment one step up from a lottery in terms of connectivity. The only way of finding out for certain is to call all the companies………the broadband coverage websites are simply not specific enough.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

watty wrote: »

Exception to this is a BT Business ULMP unbundle where BT convert the line to data only and you don't pay BT or Eircom line rental, takes about a month to do last I queried it and the option is ONLY available to BT Business DSL customers

For the average joe though your right otherwise, :)

As for availability, Rorser is 100% correct just because your in Dublin doesn't mean you have every option in the world....personally if you have NTL for TV then go with NTL for Broadband as its the best value :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement