Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bakery / catering business from home - allowed?

Options
  • 08-07-2008 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to supplement my income by baking and decorating special cakes (wedding, birthday etc) from my house. Its a good sized kitchen but is also the heart of our family home. Will I be allowed to use it for baking for commcercial purposes? Who would be the governing body to yay or nay it?

I may also try catering dinner parties etc. - anyone got experience they can share of how to get this off the ground?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭coolcon

muckety wrote: »
    I'm looking to supplement my income by baking and decorating special cakes (wedding, birthday etc) from my house. Its a good sized kitchen but is also the heart of our family home. Will I be allowed to use it for baking for commcercial purposes? Who would be the governing body to yay or nay it?

I may also try catering dinner parties etc. - anyone got experience they can share of how to get this off the ground?

I think there are regulations alright (things like the food has to be prepared on stainless steel worktops). Quick google search threw up a similar thread on another forum and the gist seems to be get in contact with local authorities ...
    http://www.irishbusinesswomen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6897&sid=ecddb233b28279a0a2eed183a2da89e4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

muckety wrote: »

I'd imagine it is highly unlikely you will get past the inspections without spending a large amount of money. Any standard food preparation area requires stainless steel worktops, commerical fridges (standards ones are not suitable for various reasons - one being they have not digital external temp display), a commerial ventilation system, insect catcher, seperate hand wash / food preparation / washup sinks. The list goes on and on.

Your also going to have to adhere to HACCP regulations and records.

I'd suggest the first port of call is ringing your local EHO and speaking to them over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

There's always the possibility of getting a grant to fund kitting-out costs. Was just reading in the business section in the Irish Times today about a young lady who's started a cookie business...she got a €25000 grant from the Wicklow enterprise board to cover the cost of meeting the standards required for food safety etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

Hi Muckety,
    I'm actualy in the process of doing the same thing and after speaking to my local environmental health officer its really quite easy so long as you keep to baking etc. Once you veer into the rew meat or fish sector, thats when you need to have special designated areas etc. As far as stainless steel worktops etc, thats boloney. There is new legislation since 2002 which allows people to work from their own kitchen using domestic scale appliances once you adhere to the rules and regulations. You probably will not have to do anything to your kitchen to be honest. Good luck with it and let me know if you have any more questions

Advertisement