Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Client cancels service with contract in place

Options
  • 08-07-2008 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭

Hi there. So I've got a business (service, web stuff) and we landed a new client recently for €20k - I sent over a contract, it was signed and faxed back. We got working away on it.

Six weeks into the service, the client tells me that she doesn't want to continue the service, citing money problems, and asks me to bill her company for the monies outstanding.

I send a bill over - it's about one-third of the total invoice, with details on time spent on different activities, etc. She comes back, with quite an attitude, querying every little thing that's been itemised. She then emails back and says she'll pay €3k into my account immediately and we'll call it done.

I feel like we had a great client last night, but today...

My question is: with a signed contract in place, what is my recourse? I'm happy (well, not happy) to take one-third, but €3k is a bit of an insult. We've put in a lot of work. What are my options here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

markesmith wrote: »
    My question is: with a signed contract in place, what is my recourse?
    The point of a contract is to cover suitations like this, you should of had a section covering what the procedure is when the client cancels.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I see your options as being either

(a) accept what they are offering or try and negotiate a higher figure yourself; or
    (b) go talk to your solicitor and find out what your legal options are.

I'm biased but (b) would be the better option here. I would doubt the figure they are offering is the highest they are willing to go. Even if you are loathe to involve yourself in litigation, a solicitor's letter might "encourage" them to be more reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

get the 3k in first then chase it up, before they do a runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

heggie wrote: »
    get the 3k in first then chase it up, before they do a runner.

Dont under any circumstances accept any payment for part of what you want, accepting a part payment weakens your case (at least thats the advise my solicitor gave me when a client wanted to pay only half the invoice value, they are now being taken to court for the full amount)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Marksmith, go see a solicitor. I think you need professional advice on this & you won't solve your problem here. Possibly the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement