Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Union Dividends

Options
  • 08-07-2008 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭

What type of dividend (interest) can you typically expect from savings in a credit union? Is the only advantage of saving with a credit union that you can get low interest loans with them?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Dividends are quite low compared to equivalent interest rates on offer in the banks.
    Loans aren't particularly low interest rates, 10.2% in my local CU.
    It is easier to get a loan from them usually, which is one of the reasons they are popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

My interest is usually 3%

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Credit Unions have been having a hard time of it in recent years. Their interest rates are inferior to the main banks and don't provide easy access (ie e-banking). Their loan rates are also not the best. The only advantage is that they are usually good to offer small loans to people on low/irregular income that the banks might turn down.

Oh, and as for rates (both savings and loans), I think they differ between individual Credit Unions, so I'm only referring to "on average" above.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

dotsman wrote: »
    Their interest rates are inferior to the main banks and don't provide easy access (ie e-banking).
    The interest rates are generally around 3% that i have seen, and 2 of the 3 credit unions i have dealt with have online services!
    Their loan rates are also not the best.
    Last loan from them was 6.5%
    Oh, and as for rates (both savings and loans), I think they differ between individual Credit Unions
    Yes they do, each sets their own

davton wrote: »
    The interest rates are generally around 3% that i have seen, and 2 of the 3 credit unions i have dealt with have online services!
    Pretty poor rate at the moment (min you should expect from your bank is 5%, with 7%+ on special savings accounts). Didn't know that about the online services. Are they any good (transferring funds, paying bills, standing orders, international transfer etc)?
    Last loan from them was 6.5%
    That's a pretty good rate! Did you have to leave money on deposit with them to get that though?
    Yes they do, each sets their own
    Always wondered about this. Do you have to live in the locality to use a credit union. ie, if word got out that a credit union in Meath was doing dirt cheap loans, could anyone go and sign up, or is it just for the locals?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Xoote

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Pretty poor rate at the moment (min you should expect from your bank is 5%, with 7%+ on special savings accounts).
    yes,never gonna be as strong, but never as much conditions or charges
    Didn't know that about the online services. Are they any good (transferring funds, paying bills, standing orders, international transfer etc)?
    You can check account balances, transfer funds and more. You can pay bills online if you sign up for Online Bill payment services where available.
    That's a pretty good rate! Did you have to leave money on deposit with them to get that though?
    No, i think it was an offer at teh time, i think normally around the 7%, 7.2% mark
    Always wondered about this. Do you have to live in the locality to use a credit union. ie, if word got out that a credit union in Meath was doing dirt cheap loans, could anyone go and sign up, or is it just for the locals?

I think they differ on each co-ops terms but not 100% on this. I seen the phrase 'common bond' as in you have to live in the locality, or work for an associated company or live with someone that is a member etc

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

The only advantage is that they are usually good to offer small loans to people on low/irregular income that the banks might turn down.

Thanks dotsman.
    So no real incentive to save with them then unless you're looking for a small loan with a poor income?

Par72 wrote: »
    Thanks dotsman.
    So no real incentive to save with them then unless you're looking for a small loan with a poor income?

That's always been my take on them. If it's savings only, then you will get a better rate from the mainstream banks (this use not be the way, and I think the Credit Unions are still doing a lot of business based on past reputations of giving high dividends).

I remember reading several times in the past year or 2 about how most of the credit unions had too much money, and little demand for their loans, thus realising small profits, hence small dividends. That might all change over the next few years if the economy goes downhill:(

Advertisement