Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Desktop (need help)

Options
  • 08-07-2008 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I want to build my own desktop. im not very good with pc components so i need some help.
    i have 1500 to spend on this but i need to get a 19-20 inch monitor too.

all help is welcomed and appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The guys a n00b, but he'll need water cooling, or at least air cooling. He'll be wanting a quite'ish machine, or his OH will kill him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭bluenessy

i want to have xp on it and i wat to be able to play the new games that are coming out soon enough

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If I were you I'd go with vista 64bit. You'll be losing a lot by sticking with xp (direct x 10 and >3GBs ram). For your budget you should be able to get a 22" (possibly 24" if you like), q6600, 4GBs ram, 4870, 1TB hard drive, 5.1 sound system and a decent keyboard and mouse.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I just specced this together over on hardwareversand.

Very powerful system. All you need to do is get your self a half decent keyboard and it'll still come out under budget. You could save a bit by getting a cheaper motherboard but I'd thought I'd give you the option of going crossfire in the future and last I heard the boards with only one x16 and one x4 lost out in performance when you crossfire a 4850 or a 4870. Although I don't know how well that psu would be for crossfire, might need to get the 620w corsair.

where the monitor goes it needs to be 20ish inch but ill have it on a wall mount hopefully. what you picked looks good. to be honest i dont know what i need but i do know a very little about building and moding. i do know i want the desktop to have a wireless card as a cable is just inpossible (through the house and all the way to the end of the garden(check my location))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Almightycushion's spec looks to be pretty good for what you need, you could replace the q6600 with a q9350 since it would still come under budget.

You could even bump up the ram to 8gb and be over budget by a tenner or so but thats overkill(For the moment atleast)

absolutely no problem with a little over kill ;)

i have one made her im trying to paste it up

ArticleAvailabilityPrice per unitQuantityPrice Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 boxed, 8192Kb, LGA775, 64bit, Kentsfield
    The price includes VAT and excludes shipping costs
    ready for dispatch144,99 € 144,99 € wkloeschen.gifSapphire HD4870 512M GDDR5 PCI-E
    No information. A delivery time of more than 1 week is possible.207,88 € 207,88 € wkloeschen.gifArctic Freezer 7 Pro Sockel 775
    ready for dispatch13,27 € 13,27 € wkloeschen.gifThermaltake Soprano DX BWS VE7000BWS ohne Netzteil
    ready for dispatch87,01 € 87,01 € wkloeschen.gifSamsung SH-S203P bulk schwarz
    ready for dispatch22,49 € 44,98 € wkloeschen.gifRaidsonic IB-861-B 33-in-1 Cardreader + Multiport schwarz
    ready for dispatch22,95 € 22,95 € wkloeschen.gifSamsung HD103UJ 1TB 32MB SATA II
    ready for dispatch114,29 € 228,58 € wkloeschen.gif4096MB-Kit OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Titanium Dual Channel, CL4
    available for order, delivery date on request 78,37 € 78,37 € wkloeschen.gifATX-Netzteil Corsair VX550W 550 Watt
    ready for dispatch62,10 € 62,10 € wkloeschen.gifHama LCD-Wandhalterung, "Easy3" VESA
    ready for dispatch24,24 € 24,24 € wkloeschen.gifSamsung SyncMaster T200HD
    ready for dispatch284,94 € 284,94 € wkloeschen.gifMS Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit SB-Version
    ready for dispatch124,50 € 124,50 € wkloeschen.gifLevelOne PCI Card 300 Mbps WNC-0600
    ready for dispatch36,05 € 36,05 € wkloeschen.gifLogitech X-540
    ready for dispatch (only 1 article)66,79 € 66,79 € wkloeschen.gif

i do admit most of it is the same but i have put in some of my own ideas.
    the spare harddrive is for another machine that is in the house. i need wireless too. i would like it all to be shipped and sent all together at once cause i have heard sometimes there is alot of issues with the support on this site. im pretty mch willing to give anything a try at least once.

Can someone gives me pointers on the build?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

the wireless card is a bit over the top, it all looks ok, but you should be getting the tray version of the q6600(cheaper version) since your already getting a fan, dont forget to get some thermal paste aswell,
    other than that it looks to be a solid gaming pc but the layout of your post is so confusing :p

whats the grand total including the 30 euro shipping?

• Advertisement

If you have to get a 20" and nothing bigger than go with the 4850. The 4870 will be pointlessly powerful at that resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Hey don't pay that for your OS. I'd recommend Premium but whatever you're buying, go to here because Vista is really cheap on Dabs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

C14N wrote: »
    Hey don't pay that for your OS. I'd recommend Premium but whatever you're buying, go to here because Vista is really cheap on Dabs

The same OS is a tenner dearer on dabs :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

The same OS is a tenner dearer on dabs :p:pac:

What? Last time I checked it was €140 on dabs. I'll have another look

Edit is this the one? I'm not great with operating systems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Looks like Hardwareversand.de updated their price on the OS.

The Vista Ultimate retail version which is what the price was orignally for allows you to choose between 32bit and 64bit. When buying the OEM version you have to choose between a 32bit and 64bit DVD.

Advertisement