Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Traffic lights, neutral or no?

Options
  • 08-07-2008 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭

Wife doing her test next week,

Question:

If stopped at red lights do you go into neutral?
    Does it depend on whether you're first at the lights or not?
    Also, if you're first off, should you use handbrake on every occasion?

I'm asking this in particular relation to 'making progress' part of the test.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You don't get marked down for sitting in first gear, clutch pressed at the lights. I generally place the car in neutral and watch for the amber light in the other direction, but it is possible to miss this and she'll pick up a progress fault if she waits till the light goes green before putting the car into gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Stark wrote: »
    You don't get marked down for sitting in first gear, clutch pressed at the lights. I generally place the car in neutral and watch for the amber light in the other direction, but it is possible to miss this and she'll pick up a progress fault if she waits till the light goes green before putting the car into gear.

Not necessarily, if you're quick you should be fine. But as said, best advise would be to put it into neutral and watch the lights(with handbrake on), however if your wife prefers being ready at the top of the cue. Clutch fully depressed in first and handbrake.
    Anywhere else in the cue i would put the car in neutral and put on the handbrake.
    Oh and i would use the handbrake almost all the time when i'm stopped, regardless of the position in the cue. Only exception would be if the lights go green just as you pull up to the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're first in the queue, then it depends on loads of things.

Depends on the sequence of the lights - if it's a long sequence and you know it, then there's no harm in applying the handbrake and popping into neutral, provided that you pop into first and are ready to release the handbrake as soon as the light goes green.

If you know it's a short sequence or the lights are about to go green, leave it in first with your foot on the brake. In this case, there's no harm in applying the handbrake when you stop, but it does prevent you from moving off as quickly. If in doubt though, handbrake on.

If you don't know the sequence, leave it in first with the handbrake applied, ready to move off when the lights go green.

Needless to say, if the lights are on an uphill, always apply the handbrake.

If you're not first or second in the queue, pop into neutral and handbrake on. Get into first gear as soon as you see the lights go green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Thanks to all for replies.

I'll probably be back on as the test gets closer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭sonicthebadger*

My instructor used to hit me in rhythm to the words:

"Hand-brake-al-ways-at-the-lights"

(she'd hit me for the words marked in bold):D

I still hear her say it whenever I come to lights. The idea being that wherever you are in the queue you may be struck from behind (particularly dangerous if you're the first car).

You must have the handbrake on before the car is put into neutral.

Taking off from the lights with the handbrake on is not slower than taking off while using the footbrake! :confused:
    For a start you don't need to move your right foot if the car is being held by the handbrake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I was told by my driving instructor to leave it in first gear, handbrake on and clutch in so you are ready to go when the lights turn green and not hold up traffic. I didn't get marked once in my test for lights, so I'd assume this is the safe practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dlofnep wrote: »
    I was told by my driving instructor to leave it in first gear, handbrake on and clutch in so you are ready to go when the lights turn green and not hold up traffic. I didn't get marked once in my test for lights, so I'd assume this is the safe practice.

Well i'd see a few benefits to taking the car out of gear. I find that i'd rather relax my left foot than have to keep the clutch depressed the whole time. Your putting added pressure on the clutch cable as well as your leg. On top of this, leaving the car in gear while stopped could also be dangerous if you were rear ended and released the clutch causing the car to jump forward, even with the handbrake on, the car could have enough force to jump considerably.
    Now, that said,;), it does come down to preference in the end, as both will be accepted, i think you know which i would use:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ah ok, I was just under the impression by my instructor that leaving it in gear is the correct protocol. No doubt, when no testing - I leave it in neutral too to relax my leg :)

Advertisement