Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

smurfit-UCD

Options
  • 08-07-2008 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

hi,

Im due to start a masters (part time) in september. The only thing is the time the course commences is 5:00pm is such a pain as i have to travel from the red cow area to smurfit and i can only get off at about 4:15. Is the smurfit school based in blackrock? or in near the clonskeagh UCD entrance? I don't want to make a name for myself if i keep being late. has anyone done a masters part time and had problems commuting on time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

It's in Blackrock, a completely different campus from Belfield/Clonskeagh. How you signed up for the course without finding out where it's on has me perplexed.

You omit to mention how you plan on commuting - car, bike, public transport. Given the traffic 45 minutes cross-town door to door may be tricky in anything other than a moped or bicycle. Although if you are driving the M50 works should be near finished by the time you start the course so that might be the best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

well the mere fact that i mentioned Blackrock gave some inclination that i knew there was a location there, i just wanted some clarification as I wasn't sure if the admin was just handled in a Blackrock office and the lectures take place on UCD campus. :pac:

I'll be commuting by car and the only option really is the M50. I just received the timetable today, i was hoping the start time would have been more 5:30 but there you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

Consider posting this question in the Commuting Forum. Apart from roadworks, etc, the problem with the M50, it seems to me, is that there is a lot of congestion around Sandyford Industrial Estate at 4:45pm, so the last part of the journey might be very slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

well the mere fact that i mentioned Blackrock gave some inclination that i knew there was a location there, i just wanted some clarification as I wasn't sure if the admin was just handled in a Blackrock office and the lectures take place on UCD campus. :pac:

I'll be commuting by car and the only option really is the M50. I just received the timetable today, i was hoping the start time would have been more 5:30 but there you go!

Yeah I'd push work to see if you could get off earlier. Drive aside, it'd give you a chance to relax a bit before the lectures. I never got how the people in part time courses managed a day's work, the commute out and then straight into a lecture. Made of sterner stuff than me.

Yeah I'd push work to see if you could get off earlier. Drive aside, it'd give you a chance to relax a bit before the lectures. I never got how the people in part time courses managed a day's work, the commute out and then straight into a lecture. Made of sterner stuff than me.

yeah believe me thought of the commute and rushing into college twice weekly is not something im looking forward to. i think its silly to expect everyone to make it in for 5, maybe some companies are just more relaxed about time keeping than mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

i think its silly to expect everyone to make it in for 5
    :pac:

Study is a commitment. You either commit or you don't.

Sean_K wrote: »
    :pac:

Study is a commitment. You either commit or you don't.

come on now i didnt ask for a cliche, not everyone is in a position to commit due to work/life balance. im not saying im not willing to commit, i just wish i had easier working hours. but hey im just curious to know how tough people found it

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

Well it all depends where you start from. Smurfit can be reached fairly easily from places like Ballsbridge and Sandyford where a lot of people work. If you are starting from Parkwest, CityWest or the Northside then it is not so easy.

Although i dont plan on being late too often, i just don't want to start pissing lecturer off if im 10-15 mins late. ah well ill have to do a few trial runs out and see. cheers

Advertisement