Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine Management light...

Options
  • 08-07-2008 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

..its shining out at me from the dash for the past couple of days. I suspect its the lambda probe but it could also mean there's a problem with the catalytic coverter, which I hope its not otherwise it'll set me back €600...its a 2.0L petrol VW Passat 2001. Anyone have any thoughts of advice on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Big Tone wrote: »
    ..its shining out at me from the dash for the past couple of days. I suspect its the lambda probe but it could also mean there's a problem with the catalytic coverter, which I hope its not otherwise it'll set me back €600...its a 2.0L petrol VW Passat 2001. Anyone have any thoughts of advice on this?

An engine management warning light could be many things. Get the car hooked up to a diagnostics computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Buy a cheap diagnostics cable and install some s/w on your laptop and read it yourself. Mine's currently throwing a P0304.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Check your break lights are working, happened on a bora we had.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yup. think this happens if all 3 brake lights are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Brake light switches also give hassle causing the EML to come on. But as stated before, it could be one of a variety of faults - throttle body, temp sensors, pressure sensors, engine speed sensors, position sensors, knock sensors, etc, etc. The only answer is to have the fault memory read via a diagnosis machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Carina

I have a simple OBD that can download the code if your in the Dublin north area ?;)

Advertisement