Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection problem

Options
  • 08-07-2008 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

First of all, I've gone onto the FAQ, and haven't had much luck, so bear with me before deleting this w/o looking at it:

I'm on a wireless network with Eircom, and at the moment I'm looking at two computers. One is connected, and the other has limited or no connectivity due to the lack of a network address assigned to the computer. Both computers are set up with DHCP enabled, and when I tried to configure the offending computer's IP address, I got a full connection, but the connection will only send packets, not receive them. I've duplicated the settings from the other computer through ipconfig (to a reasonable degree), but no luck.

What's more confusing is that the offending computer has connected fine to other networks, and as far as I'm aware, the WPA and SSID are all fine. It's a Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card, but the problem seems specific to this network. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

When you say you duplicated the settings, did you change the IP address? As in, did you change -- for example -- 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.x; something different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Burklert

Is there access control active on the wireless router? You might need to add the mac onto the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

ethernet wrote: »
    When you say you duplicated the settings, did you change the IP address? As in, did you change -- for example -- 192.168.0.3 to 192.168.0.x; something different?

exactly, and got the "fully connected" pop up, but the packets were still not being received. the weird thing is that the dell pc is on automatic IP acquisation, and recently there was another pc (hewlett packard) that was added to the network, no problem, just had to put in the WPA/WEP code and it was fine??

So I either have an automatic IP set up on the toshiba, resulting in "limited connectivity", or a manual IP set up, which results in connection but no packets received...bit annoying!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Has the offending laptop connected to other networks since you 'messed' around with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

dub45 wrote: »
    Has the offending laptop connected to other networks since you 'messed' around with it?

I only have it on a network at home, no opportunities to connect to other networks; however, I'm pretty sure it's just this network specifically that's a problem.
    It's not exactly a big deal, I'm just curious as to why it wouldn't be working. Like I said, automatic IP = limited connectivity; manual IP = connected..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

I Had a simular issue with a cople of laptops running xp pro connecting to a wireless network..the issue turened out to be dependant on whwather I WAS USING WPA OR WPA 2... What solved it was downloading (and installing) service pack 3 ..

Advertisement