Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this work to get ADSL2?

Options
  • 08-07-2008 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭

I'm on the Eircom 3MB package (Home Professional) and was wondering if you think this would work to get ADSL2?
    What if I upgrade to the 4MB or 6MB Business packages now and immediately after the speed upgrades change my package back to 3MB which will then be 7.6MB.
    Do you think this would mean that in order to get the new speeds they would connect me to the ADSL2 equipment and after changing back my package they wouldn't bother plugging me back into ADSL1 Equipment?
    Can you change packages that quickly or are you bound to a 6 month contract?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

jspuds wrote: »
    I'm on the Eircom 3MB package (Home Professional) and was wondering if you think this would work to get ADSL2?
    What if I upgrade to the 4MB or 6MB Business packages now and immediately after the speed upgrades change my package back to 3MB which will then be 7.6MB.
    Do you think this would mean that in order to get the new speeds they would connect me to the ADSL2 equipment and after changing back my package they wouldn't bother plugging me back into ADSL1 Equipment?

Im confused, you trying to fool eircom?
    The upgrades arent gonna happy anytime soon from where im hereing on my side!
    So what your trying to say is you want 12 meg but for half the price by fooling eircom? Doesnt make alot of sence to me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

jspuds wrote: »

4 meg of ADSL1 is the same as 4 megs of ADSL2. What is it you're trying to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm guessing that he's in the same position as me, in as much as though I can manage a reasonably stable 3Mb connection with my attenuation/SNR Margin figures, there's not a cat in hell's chance that I'll get a reliable connection at 7.6Mb on ADSL1, probably no more than about 4Mb if most of the online checkers are to be believed, but I'd manage a whole lot better results on ADSL2+.

So, he's looking to temporarily upgrade to a business package to get switched over to the ADSL2+ equipment, then downgrade to a consumer package again and hope they can't be bothered to physically switch him back to the ADSL1 equipment again.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Alun wrote: »
    I'm guessing that he's in the same position as me, in as much as though I can manage a reasonably stable 3Mb connection with my attenuation/SNR Margin figures, there's not a cat in hell's chance that I'll get a reliable connection at 7.6Mb on ADSL1, probably no more than about 4Mb if most of the online checkers are to be believed, but I'd manage a whole lot better results on ADSL2+.

So, he's looking to temporarily upgrade to a business package to get switched over to the ADSL2+ equipment, then downgrade to a consumer package again and hope they can't be bothered to physically switch him back to the ADSL1 equipment again.
    Alun is right, I'm trying to get the most speed and stability out of my connection and I think I will achieve this on ADSL2 rather than ADSL1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

If you upgrade your connection, I think you get contracted for about 6-12 months right? So you will have to pay for business BB for a long while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i think those business contracts are 6 months but its a good idea if u can get away with it,id say go for the 4meg package since it will be the cheapest way of getting onto adsl2+
    when the speed upgrades kick in ul be on 10 meg and if u downgrade ul go to 7.6 meg but on adsl2+
    i doubt they would bother to downgrade to adsl 1 when ur coming back as they could just limit ur speeds remotely without doing it physically

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

delllat wrote: »
    i think those business contracts are 6 months but its a good idea if u can get away with it,id say go for the 4meg package since it will be the cheapest way of getting onto adsl2+
    when the speed upgrades kick in ul be on 10 meg and if u downgrade ul go to 7.6 meg but on adsl2+
    i doubt they would bother to downgrade to adsl 1 when ur coming back as they could just limit ur speeds remotely without doing it physically
    I wouldn't take anything like that for granted in the situation Eircom are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It sounds like a long shot. I'd advise you wait and see what happens with the upgrades first. The only lines that have been upgraded are business lines so far, and only if you request it.

Advertisement