Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 mobile broadband

Options
  • 08-07-2008 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I'm about to get the internet in, found out there's no upc in my area yet, don't want to get a landline and am not allowed to put anything on the roof.
    So I'm thinking I'll try the o2 broadband, as from what I learned it's deffinitely a better option than Ripwave, and I can always return it within the 30 days.
    What is your experience with it, is it an ok connection? I don't need it for downloading stuff, but I need a decent connection for Skype calls and my guy wants to use youtube.
    Also as far as I understand the only difference between the E220 and E270 modems at the moment is the upload speed, am I right? Plus E270 is future proofed but I don't care much about that as I'm hoping I'll be able to get UPC after the year's contract.
    Any comments much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

skype possibly wont work good if at all
    If u want a reliable connection get a landline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

If u want skype u need DSL or pass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Speeds are variable, though I've always gotten a decent bit out of it. Pings are very long, so Skype is pretty much out of the question. Contention can also be a problem, more users = slower speeds and longer pings.

Without fixed wireless or cable, your only option is to get the land line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Judee

ok so if I give up skype calls and use it only for chat is the O2 broadband ok for simple everyday use, just browsing and maybe watching the odd video here and there? I really don't want to get a land line, would have to get connected because I have never had a phone line in the apartment before, and also am really really hoping for upc to get there soon as it is apparently already in the apartment complex, only not in my building yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i have it since yesterday morning and am getting speeds averaging 2.5mbps down and 3-400kbps upload with at most two signal bars(about 20%) i am on outskirts of Carlow town and have the E270 modem which i have read is far better and more reliable than the E220 which is not described as vista compatible on the huaweii website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Judee

thanks Foggy lad, finally some positive feedback :)
    I will definitely give it a try, it's worth it since there is the 30 days happiness guarantee...

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

You have to realise its
    inconsistent
    .......one day
    it'll
    be great another it'll drop every now and then and some days the speed goes through the roof. If you want solid BB you really do need a
    phone line
    ....for your sanity if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Just my two cents

I've used it for Skype and been on calls to the states for over an hour without any problems.
    It does work really ..especially considering I live in the sticks, but online gaming is a no go.

Its good for what it is ie mobile broadband. My speeds are generally around 1mb - 2mb down

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Unconcerned

I doubt O2 is good enough for Skype. Even with user defined network choice, it still manages to spend 75% of the time switching networks. Irritating during the day, might be worth your time trying it at night. O2 seems to only really be good between 1AM --- 7 :30 AM. Before and after that, well, I'd rather suck sulphuric acid out of a mangey badgers arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

It depends on where you are and what kind of a signal you have

DSL would be better ..god knows I'd use it myself if I could get it..but for some people its not an option

I use my mine mostly between 6pm and 12am and 90% of the time its fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭admol

I've talked to a friend of mine on skype loads of times and he has the vodafone 3G modem. Its not perfect but it works.

Might be getting the O2 bb myself. Is there much of a difference in the new modem? Is it worth the extra for it?

Advertisement