Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any conventions

• 08-07-2008 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

just wondering if their is any such thin as a star trek convention in Ireland . heard of them when i was in england but never got to go .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

hmm its really a no go mate , personally i think there should be some , not just star trek , but i think there would be enough interested in Ireland to have a sci fi convention,

i am in college myself so i have far too much time to talk about what would go into hosting something like this, and i have some experience looking at venues for Lans ( one thing i must say is that venues in dublin far far too expensive) . But yea i would love one but , its about getting enough people to come, paying for guests like actors from the show , and getting a venue ,

and even in place like america where there 1,000s of conventions many of them fail and or lose money (just a while back fedcon america failed ) but there are others that do really really well .

so yea there is nothing really on the Irish sene , but hey if there where like minded people i know i would not mind looking into if Ireland could get a small but well done convention a shot

two good articles you can read

one on fecon failing
    http://trekmovie.com/2008/06/14/fedcon-usa-cancelled-after-one-day/

and one on some of the best conventions
    (personally i really want to go to fedcon germany some time , its the biggest star trek con in europe and one of the biggest in the world , looks great too)

http://trekmovie.com/2008/06/22/conventional-wisdom-tips-on-picking-a-convention/

p.s. sorry for getting long winded with my post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

FWIW I went to one in Wynns Hotel in Dublin, many, many years ago. They showed Q Who years before it was shown on TV in Ireland or UK.

Key point for potential Trek convention attendees: Professionally made Trek uniforms look good on buff actors, OTOH uniforms yore ma made do not, sadly, look good on real people. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

as far as i can remember the last fan con in ireland was cork con many years ago run by damon and karen wise, the guests were bjo and john trimble, its a pity that cork con failed because there was plans for a con in waterford the following year with david prowse and some other named guests

Shame

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bogwarrior

shame really would have thought this day and age their was enough star trek fans and people looking for a different day out in Ireland to warrant this type of function ah well we can live in hope :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 squonk_ie

Correct me if I am wrong but the last major con held in thsi country was Visicon at DCU in 1996. The guests were Nana Visitor and Alexander Siddig. It was a fun convention but the numbers were very low and it lost a lot of cash. There are a few in the UK but even Creation Entertainment, the largets con organisers in the US, gave up on holding cons in the UK as they were not getting the numbers. I am off the the huge LAs Vegas convention in a few weeks. Link http://www.creationent.com/cal/stlv.htm I was there in 2005 and it was a lot of fun if bl**dy expensive.

I think the chances of a Trek con here are slim to say the least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bogwarrior

wow best of look on your holiday , that cant be bad . should post some pics when you get back . sure all who cant make it would like to have a view through your camera lens .:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 squonk_ie

Cheers mate. I am really looking forward to it. I will see if I can put up some pics of my last trip. They are not great as I did not have a great seat. And I dont think you want to see a pic of my ugly mug with The Shat!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

I am there a week earlier, had no idea this was happening. The Star Trek Experience will have to do then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dpedge

The Convention in DCU was great. However the convertion before that in the Grand Hotel was just amazing. I have never had so much fun then at the opening night fancy dress party. Most of the people there ended up have naked as their home made costumes fell apart! Great night!
    Instead of saying its such a pity there is nothing for Irish Trek fans why don't we do something ourselves. I would be interested in pooling my skills to arrange a convention. Done by fans for fans!! Anyone else interested? if so email me on dpedge@hotmail.com.
    A lot of hands make light work so if your interested in doing a little or a lot I'm sure it would be great fun and very rewarding. Lets show what the Irish fans can do!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

So we went to the Hilton to go to the Star Trek: The Experience earlier today. One word: Fantastic! This is the best thing we did in sleazy Las Vegas. I am not one for rides but I really enjoyed the ones they have there. We did the Klingon one twice (technically three times because they had to restart the first one). We nearly spent five hours in there.

It's a pity that they are scheduled to close in a few weeks. Also, the food at Quarks wasn't half bad (beware: huge portions).

Get there while you can, definately worth a visit.

PS: If anybody has an interest in a lifesize model of the Borg Queen then go buy one of the two that the shop has for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 FedconMC

Additional Hotel Information added:

http://www.fedcon.de/pages_en/fed18/hotel.php

Advertisement