Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a Wifi card/usb quick

Options
  • 08-07-2008 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Just broke my WMP54g in frustration at it not working well with Vista... and now im totally lost.

Im looking for something to replace it, preferably usb so it doesnt take up any of my valuable slots.
    Catch is, i don't want to wait so I really want one I can pick up in person in the dublin area.

I had a look through maplin, dixons and that before and spotted a few, but they were mostly generic stuff or overpriced so i wasn't at all sure. I would want with decent range and good reliability of course.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I used a d-link one with vista and a dlink wireless pci card with xp and both worked flawlessly (and still do with no problems) and were piss easy to set up. I'd stay away from belkin though. I've used a few of their different wireless adapters (both usb and pci cards) and only one worked decently and even that was a chore to set up and keep working. Some kept dropping the signal, some connected grand to the router but wouldn't connect to the net (even though a laptop right beside it would connect fine), another just wouldn't connect to the router (it could see the connection but just wouldn't connect. If you do decide to go belkin, let windows handle the wireless connection as the belkin software is rubbish I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

that tech shop just off o'connell street sell sweex usb wireless for 15 yoyos, they work fine, the brother bought one and has had no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Plasmoid

Yeah ive heard bad thing about belkin... to be expected i guess given how many belkin things are out there, but still.

Which tech shop of O' Connell street is this... im not too familiar with it and don't wanna get lost :p

I guess your talking of this? http://www.sweex.com/producten.php?sectie=7&subsectie=7&item=65&artikel=717

Looks like it has a Ralink chipset... which is always a safe bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

can't remember the name of it but if you cross the liffey heading north it's just to your left, it's just one or two doors down

Advertisement