Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

In Process of buying Car in UK

Options
  • 08-07-2008 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hi,

I contacted a guy on the auto trader about buying his car. The car is to cost me roughly 10000STG. I did a hpi check on the car and found there was 9200 STG of finance still owing on the car. I then asked the owner in an email was there any outstanding finance owed on the car- to which he replied there was. I told him I was a litle nervous about the transaction as he had not been up-front about this from the outset to which he said that he was selling the car to pay the finance so it was just easier for him to do it that way. We have come to an arrangement that I will get the car off him and give him 2 sterling drafts..one for the finance company for 9200STG and one for himself 800STG.

Does this seem ok to you or would you be nervous about doing this? Could there be a scam at work?

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Smiegel

Also can anyone tell me what documentation I need to get off this guy.......

A V5 obviously but what else? Someone told me their mate got caught out by only having one copy of some document when he went to register his car in ireland and he had to go back accross the water to get the other one -what document was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Make one draft out to the finance company, arrange with the seller for both of you to meet up at the finance company branch and then pay them to close out the finance agreement. Then pay the seller the balance.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Get verfication of the "settlement figure". It can be different to the a/c balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

As henry said, Check the Settlement figure. Could include interest incured, and as it stands it is not the sellers car its the finance companys property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Walk Away!

end of.

ps. well done on the hpi check..good move.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys...I'm going to go aheah with the purchase , he says that its ok if I show him the cheque for the finance company and we'll both go and post it together and I'll give him a draft for the rest.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Walk Away!

end of.

ps. well done on the hpi check..good move.

Why? It's quite normal to buy a car with money owed against it.

OP is doing the right thing too. One payment to owner and balance to driver. I agree on the HPI check. It's essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

OP you dont mine me asking what are you purchasing? im in the process myself.

Im purchasing a honda civic diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

good call. i'm looking at buying one of those in the next few months, one of the most underrated cars on the road, the 2.2 is a corker and is cheap to tax and VRT as well

• Advertisement

hopefully it'll go like a rocket, I'm getting the ES model - a smashing 06 EX model sold on ebay for 10500 two weeks ago

the diesel isnt on sale in ireland till late 08 or 09 ...what a joke

pity its an '06. still a great car but its not entitled to the cheaper road tax rate, just the lower VRT. Only realised this myself the other day. its on the dept. of environment website. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

walk away, and buy from a garage,

private is a no no in the uk,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Smiegel wrote: »
    the diesel isnt on sale in ireland till late 08 or 09 ...what a joke

Not true - Universal Honda are holding two in stock at the moment.

gally74 wrote: »

Why? If you do you homework and get a HPI, and a service history, and a full mechanical check.....

CharlieCroker thanks for that youre right - fc*k sake how complicated can the motor tax system get

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I'd walk away from it.. What I'm thinking is if you payed of the finance then go to take the car he may say sorry not selling it and drive off with his debt cleared... I'd avoid it just incase theres any legal crap involved. Buy from a dealer your better off.

OK what I'm doing is posting the draft to the finance company with him when I get over. Then ill give him his smaller draft and he'll give me the keys. Then I'm driving off into the sunset...

What i'd do is just do up a little document stating those facts , copy it and than get you both to sign it and keep a copy each. Just as a small bit of insurance in case it had to go to court or anything (heaven forbid).
    At least its something you could throw in front of a judge and your man couldn't argue with it.
    My other advice would be to bring someone over with you for support if you've never done it before.
    Just remember, 99.99% of private sellers are fine and will be more wary of you than you are of them!!

• Advertisement

I think I'll have so much paperwork with me going over that he'll think I'm a bloody lawyer!

I am bringing over a letter to send with the cheque to honda just in case he tries to divert the payment onto a new honda for himself and I'm getting him to sign that saying the payment is against a particular car.

I think he thinks I'm completly paranoid at this stage!

thanks for all the advice

well, its a lot of money. I'd rather be too safe than sorry!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I don't know if it's been mentioned already but, make absolutely sure you get a CO2 cert if you're bringing your car over to Ireland.

Also, why not just take cash with you and pay it that way?

cos only an idiot would put a couple of grand cash into an envelope and post it to a finance company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    plus, i dunno would i feel comfortable travelling with that much cash in my pocket. Average Civic Cdti is 10-12k stg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

cos only an idiot would put a couple of grand cash into an envelope and post it to a finance company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    plus, i dunno would i feel comfortable travelling with that much cash in my pocket. Average Civic Cdti is 10-12k stg

Ye hehe

Yeah i was going to bring over one of these

money_bags.jpg

but couldnt figure out how to get it into the post box

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I didn't mean posting, I meant traveling, but if you are not comfortable in it, fair enough.

I have not traveled with 12k stg, but I have with 8k, to the UK, payed cash, brought the car over.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

gally74 wrote: »

Stop talking BS mate, buying private in UK is safer than buying private here, at least a comprehensive history check can be ran in the UK. Also on the subject of dealers, have you considered how many in Ireland have been done for clocking cars lately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Smiegel wrote: »
    Im purchasing a honda civic diesel
    The 1.7 or the 2.2?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

seamy_orr wrote: »
    Stop talking BS mate, buying private in UK is safer than buying private here, at least a comprehensive history check can be ran in the UK. Also on the subject of dealers, have you considered how many in Ireland have been done for clocking cars lately?

I'm not going to say this is BS or not as we are all entitled to our opinion but - buying private in the Uk is AOK!

as long as you go by the golden rules - HPI the car, inspect the car, test the car, double check everything.....and then do it again.......and haggle hard.:)

Advertisement