Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late night loud cars

Options
  • 08-07-2008 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

I have never really paid too much attention to cars speeding around the place ......always put it down to people messing on the roads when they are empty.

Then i moved to rush.

Everyone does it here.Last night was the last straw. 1.30 am a car on my road kept wheel spinning and skidding then speeding off and coming back and repeating the process then the loud music came on.

it looked like the car was scoping out the other cars on the road. so because of this unusual behaviour i rang the guards.

guards actually to my suprise drove by . right by..... the car i gave a detailed description of including the reg.!!! ( possible the guard was on another call out.) i got fed up of this .

this happens quite a lot on my road and i am sick of it. its a matter of time before someone gets hurt.

is it because their is no full time guards in rush.

i would be nearly tempted to go down to the house they always seem to come and go from tell them what for!! but i know this is pointless .

(for the record i am not a fuddy duddy.... i really dont mind a small bit of tom foolery but its getting out of hand... but when its at 130 in the morning!!!)

any suggestions on what to do.? is there anyone else reaching the end of their temper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Buy a shotgun. No, buy two. Kill them all. And their girlfriends. Burn their cars.

Once you're done, come over to my neighborhood and wipe them out here too.

I feel your frustration. Goddamn time someone puts a end to it. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Keith186

When they wheel spin off and you know they are going to come back take some action. I accept no responsibility for any consequence of your actions or my advice.

A) Pour oil on the road so they might go into a ditch hopefully

B) Put something down that will burst or damage the tyres (glass then clean up after they go?)

C) There's always a C but I don't know what it is yet, maybe record them on video or else do wheelspins outside their house at 7.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

funny you should say that the ol video camera is fully charged.

tire damage would be my favourite path of revenge but i dont want to sh1t on my own doorstep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Less of the damaging property/violence advice thanks.

it would never come to that. is there any good politician in the area.... as in one who might try and do something. i think we need more traffic calming measures. nobody can argue that the roads in rush are wide enough for a speeding car to avoid an on-coming car. the skerries road is fine straight "safe " road and to a certain extent the road from lusk. i am talking about the lanes and housing estates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Martron wrote: »
    it would never come to that. is there any good politician in the area.... as in one who might try and do something. i think we need more traffic calming measures. nobody can argue that the roads in rush are wide enough for a speeding car to avoid an on-coming car. the skerries road is fine straight "safe " road and to a certain extent the road from lusk. i am talking about the lanes and housing estates.

TD will invariably just tell you its a matter for the gardai :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Fight fire With a more powerful fire. Go outside the knackers gaff and tirespin while playing 80's metal music till 12.30 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Hey, nothing wrong with 80's metal!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Hey, nothing wrong with 80's metal!:D

I know, it's just a more powerful fire as I said since knackers would hate it.;)

must have been more cars last night..... lts of screeching tires and what not...... then the garda chopper was out searching the fields!!!

something really has to be done. good to see the chopper thoiugh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

must have been more cars last night..... lts of screeching tires and what not...... then the garda chopper was out searching the fields!!!

Whatever you do, stay anonymous......get a "stinger" and burst a few tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭rferguson

+100

i live just off the main street and its getting worse. i dont know how many times ive been woken up by it.

scumbags!!!!!!!

well because the streets are so narrow anyway i would not mind seeing more speed bumps.

the gardai really have to pull their finger out. its getting to a stage that i wont want to ring the gardai as i know it will have no effect

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Martron:

Talk to one of your local councillors (Joe Corr?) about how to approach Fingal Co Co for having speed bumps installed in your area. He may also be able to advise you if you can register a complaint for noise pollution against the car owner (seeing as you have the reg).

The Gardaí are stretched to the limit in the north county & you'll probably not get satisfaction from them, but not necessarily their area either - unless they do them for breach of the peace or something similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Dizzydiesel is banned for a week. I wasn't joking about that kind of "advice".

Hill Billy wrote: »
    Martron:

Talk to one of your local councillors (Joe Corr?) about how to approach Fingal Co Co for having speed bumps installed in your area. He may also be able to advise you if you can register a complaint for noise pollution against the car owner (seeing as you have the reg).

The Gardaí are stretched to the limit in the north county & you'll probably not get satisfaction from them, but not necessarily their area either - unless they do them for breach of the peace or something similar.

ah my problem is not with the guards. i am sure they do what they can. i will get onto one of these councillors and will see what happens. i know there is traffic calming in place but its useless you can drive around the bloody things.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

Was on the south beach on Sunday and these 4 idiots were tearing up and down the beach in a beat-up micra doing sharp turns. Then on Monday I see the same car (i reckon) burnt out on the beach.

I think the boy racer thing in Rush is getting way out of hand. The worse thing is that I've seen a lot of these dopes driving up and down the main street and most of them look like overweight fellas age 25+. WTF

I'm going to have a "Falling Down" moment and take out the fcukers in their stupid starlets, glanzas or whatever piece of crap they're driving... rant over.:mad:

i would like to admit though i love cars and all but there is a time and a place.

what i dont like is the midnight racing and general bad driving. will it take someone getting killed before someone does something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

living in rush myself and ive done the whole car modifying thing in my youth but never drove like a tit up and down the main st or any street for that matter. i can hear them on the main road to lusk as they go from centra towards the graveyard and i know by the sound of the engines there doin some speed. i dont see any problem with lads modifying their cars but sticking a huge exhaust onto a corsa or a micra is just plain daft as all it is on a car like that is a noise maker. theres a couple of lads in the town with integras and civics that need to be taken down a peg or two and i fear only a bad smash will bring it about. i currently drive an unmodified car but its the type of car that attracts the attention of these twats and theres nothing worse then driving out of rush with the baby in the car with the likes of them behind you

i totally agree. i love anything fuelled by petrol. i have nothing against modified cars infact i really like them. i just think its a matter of time before there is a big accident........

then whats going to happen. rush to lusk = 60kph!!!!

i bet money that that is what is going to happen!!!

and i tell you one thing i get stuck behind a man in a black hyundai accent each morning doing 60 and all he does is wag his finger at me....... 60 is too slow for that road. slighlty off topic but what happens when someone is knocked down or something?

there is a time and a place for everything and rush is not it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Always does my head in when they roar off from Joes chipper heading to the channel road and then stand on the brakes to go over the speed ramp at 1mph, then roar off again to the next speed ramp.

Joes - Roar - Brake ^ Roar - Brake ^ etc.

Tits!

Anyway I think there was a bit more than boy racers going on Sunday night to have the helicopter out. There was a lot of Guards hanging around Weldons. Didn't hear anything more though?

chopper was searching fields outside brookford and seabrook.

infra red and all. made 10 passes at least.

but rush is lawless. i have spotted a few cars with cb aerials. its not hard to drive round for a bit to find out there is no guards about then radion all your buddies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

wasnt a black civic by any chance:)
    i seen the chopper from bettystown there were two out, done a few passes of the coast too, how did you know they were using the infrared?? did you put your camcorder on night mode??

oooppppss just seen the date :)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

It is a matter for the Gardai, however I am the chairperson of the Fingal Joint Policing Committee and I will be certain to put a call into the relevant station to mount some sort of check point in the evenings.

It should be pointed out that exhaust expanders (non factory spec) are illegal and the car can be impounded by the Gardai after a warning period. Also, as with most modified cars, their registration plates are often non standard, which is also illegal (most particularly Glanza's and civics that I have seen).

My advice would be to call the guards every time you hear a loud car or wheel spin etc, the more you call the better idea the Gardai get about the extent of the problem.

We'll be holding public meetings before Christmas and I'll be sure to put up a notice about it on www.boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

60 is too slow for that road. slighlty off topic but what happens when someone is knocked down
    :confused: You say that 60kph is too slow but you are concerned about an accident happening. Wouldn't an accident be more likely if the speed limit was higher?

It is a matter for the Gardai, however I am the chairperson of the Fingal Joint Policing Committee and I will be certain to put a call into the relevant station to mount some sort of check point in the evenings.

It should be pointed out that exhaust expanders (non factory spec) are illegal and the car can be impounded by the Gardai after a warning period. Also, as with most modified cars, their registration plates are often non standard, which is also illegal (most particularly Glanza's and civics that I have seen).

My advice would be to call the guards every time you hear a loud car or wheel spin etc, the more you call the better idea the Gardai get about the extent of the problem.

We'll be holding public meetings before Christmas and I'll be sure to put up a notice about it on www.boards.ie

Alan are you for real! "call the guards every time you hear a loud car" that is a complete and utter waste of police resources, do you not think if everybody done what you have suggested that police lines will be blocked and REAL emergencies will go unanswered. :eek: :eek:

I have as much dislike for people like yourself as i do for people piss acting on our roads, cop on will you.

And there are "currently" no regulations on exhuast dB levels and aftermarket exhausts are not illegal. Infact alot of cars you can not buy OEM exhausts any more with the only option to the consumer being aftermarket.

My civic (yes i did say civic :D) is fitted with an aftermarket exhaust it is also fitted with correct number plates, i have friends who are guards and ive been through many checkpoints and they have no problems with my car, and why should they, my car is legit its taxed insured and nct`d its also driven safetly, and when i do get the urge to to put the foot down and take a corner fast or spin off i take it to the track where i can hurt no body but myself.

Times have changed, car enthusiasts put alot of time and effort into their cars, most are more well kept than half the bangers i see falling apart arround me on our roads, you will also find we would mostly have our disks in order amoungst other things as we are stereotyped by certain parts of the public, especially when it comes to checkpoints (but thats changing alot)

Dont get me wrong a few bad apples allways spoil it for everyone, just like i get alot of middle-aged men in there BMW`s mercs or audis tailgating me on the motorways trying to get me to race/go faster doesnt mean all middle aged men that drive X car are the same

I think thats enough of an internet rant for today, look what you started martin :D

Im looking forward to seeing a link to when your meetings are held,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

projectgtr wrote: »
    i have friends who are guards and ive been through many checkpoints and they have no problems with my car
    In my experience, the knowledge of the Gardai in relation to the Road Traffic Construction, Equipment and Use of vehicles Regulations are extremely limited. Just because a Garda doesn't find any problems doesn't make it legal.

I'm not disputing what you say - just pointing out that the Garda's view is not particularly relevant.

In my experience, the knowledge of the Gardai in relation to the Road Traffic Construction, Equipment and Use of vehicles Regulations are extremely limited. Just because a Garda doesn't find any problems doesn't make it legal.

I'm not disputing what you say - just pointing out that the Garda's view is not particularly relevant.

i understand what you are saying and on the whole i agree, ive read up as best i can on the subject and as far as im concerned i am well within the law under current legislation. the only reason i brought the gardai point up is that they along with the NCT centers are the one that inforce these laws and niether has had issues with aftermarket exhuasts systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

i have an after market exhaust on my car, thankfully its not loud but it was a cheaper option compared to the oem exhaust from subaru. the ppl in question have literally a straight pipe from the manifold to the back box, this is why they are so noisey. imo there is a massive differance between this noise maker and an aftermarket exhaust. i have a full stainlees steel exhaust system including the cat on another car i have and its no louder than the factory one.

• Advertisement

:confused: You say that 60kph is too slow but you are concerned about an accident happening. Wouldn't an accident be more likely if the speed limit was higher?

yeah i kinda went off topic there but what i meant was that the solution to the speeding in the village would be to reduce the speed limti of the non populated roads as in the the one from rush to lusk. pain in the ass for everyone.

Advertisement