Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late night loud cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

It is a matter for the Gardai, however I am the chairperson of the Fingal Joint Policing Committee and I will be certain to put a call into the relevant station to mount some sort of check point in the evenings.

It should be pointed out that exhaust expanders (non factory spec) are illegal and the car can be impounded by the Gardai after a warning period. Also, as with most modified cars, their registration plates are often non standard, which is also illegal (most particularly Glanza's and civics that I have seen).

My advice would be to call the guards every time you hear a loud car or wheel spin etc, the more you call the better idea the Gardai get about the extent of the problem.

We'll be holding public meetings before Christmas and I'll be sure to put up a notice about it on www.boards.ie

ok alan
    1) check point would be good as in a bigger garda presence. checkpoints may not be necessary as in a patrol car driving through rush at random times imo would be enough of a deterant.

2) registration plates are hardly the issue and i believe is more nit picking

3) i rang the guards once with an incident much to no avail and i woud be with projectgtr on this one that if i rang them up ebverytime there was a loud car in rush i would run the risk of being arrested for wasting police time!!

something does need to be done. i have noticed that loughshinny has got new speed bumps. the proper ones not like the couple of sets we have in rush that you can drive around!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

It should be pointed out that exhaust expanders (non factory spec) are illegal and the car can be impounded by the Gardai after a warning period.
    if it's street legal then the Gardai can not impound the car for an after market exhaust. they can if the drive is acting the Muppet or what not I'm sure but not for an exhaust. i don't recall anything about dB limits exhaust systems do the Gardai have portable dB measuring devices with them or do they arrest you and impound the car on suspicion of being loud? , maybe you can point us to this legislation. or did you pull that out of the same bag of tricks as Ivor Callely did a few years ago when he went on the rampage. sure any exhaust other than the one that came on it is after market
    Also, as with most modified cars, their registration plates are often non standard, which is also illegal (most particularly Glanza's and civics that I have seen).
    paint in tar much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

It has been mentioned that the Garda resources are stretched in that area, though nobody has said why (as far as I can see).

The main reason is that at night Balbriggan Garda Station is the only station looking after North County Dublin... Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush, Lusk and a few other places all fall under their jurisdiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭rferguson

Soundman wrote: »
    It has been mentioned that the Garda resources are stretched in that area, though nobody has said why (as far as I can see).

The main reason is that at night Balbriggan Garda Station is the only station looking after North County Dublin... Balbriggan, Skerries, Rush, Lusk and a few other places all fall under their jurisdiction.

We get our Garda resources from Santry now. The santry Traffic Corps look after above areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Soundman wrote: »
    The DMA was extended recently to include North County Dublin. Prior to that, NCD had been in the Louth/Meath Division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Aha. I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I've never heard of the Gardai taking noise levels of exhausts - but they really should. Amazing amount of muppets with 1.0-1.6L tiny cars putting on crap mufflers just to make more noise.
    I would report them to the guards for noise pollution :) Failing that, start working on getting speed bumps, the ones that will break off the ultra low fibreglass front bumper he has most likely got :D

kerbdog wrote: »
    I've never heard of the Gardai taking noise levels of exhausts - but they really should
    To press charges, an offence would have to be committed. AFAIK there are no maximum decibel noise levels for exhausts so it would be a waste of time and resources (presuming all else is in order).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭northdublin

balbriggan is now part of the dma north control but balbriggan cars are still make up our policing force in this area, the cars from santry are part of a task force assigned to this area but are not our full time force. i had scumbags break into my car and it was a santry task force car that responded. its good to see a police pressence in rush but pity its not more perminant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 joe flynn

Whatever you do, stay anonymous......get a "stinger" and burst a few tyres.
    you are a 24 CARROT dick head wat the f you are the BIGGEST saps on the plannet get a job and a life would you rather them doin drugs and drinkin outside your houses you type of people sicken my guts:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Very impressive first post Mr Flynn.

I hope you enjoy a long stay here on boards and continue to contribute in this valuable way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

joe flynn wrote: »
    you are a 24 CARROT dick head wat the f you are the BIGGEST saps on the plannet get a job and a life would you rather them doin drugs and drinkin outside your houses you type of people sicken my guts:mad:

Nice post.........:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Lads, instead of making pointless remarks on another users post, why not actually do something productive and use the 'report post' function??

joeflynn is banned for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Lads, instead of making pointless remarks on another users post, why not actually do something productive and use the 'report post' function??

Point taken.

Stupid question I suppose but where is the "Report Post" function.

Look beneath the username. See the red triangle with the black line?

report.gif

Click that.

The incidents of loud speeding cars in Rush seems to have got worse in the past few weeks. I'm hearing it over and over again now especially on the Skerries Road after they round the corner at Xtravision. The road is quite narrow there and there is plenty of pedestrian activity. I think a speed ramp at or near Fynes's yard might be appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Have noticed that too, you can't drive the road from Loughshinny to Rush at night, without some imbecile in a loud, "modded" car, up yer ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have noticed that too, you can't drive the road from Loughshinny to Rush at night, without some imbecile in a loud, "modded" car, up yer ass.
    NS - Remember "Monster" 20-odd years ago ripping around Rush in his crappy little red Dihatsu Charade-or-whatever-it-was? Some things never change, except they've crappy little Micras with downlighters now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Indeed I do, but in fairness to him, he was only about 9 years old :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 joe flynn

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Very impressive first post Mr Flynn.

I hope you enjoy a long stay here on boards and continue to contribute in this valuable way.
    thanks maxx was just gettin a point through and got carried away and banned oops like wats all dis of killing people in der cars i no they make noises but wat the hell like :pac:

• Advertisement

joeflynn banned and abusive post deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭rferguson

Has anyone noticed that the cars are getting louder around rush. there seems to be two main culprits on the lower main street area. usually. they would go home to there mammys around 11 but they seem to be still driving around until 1 or 2 in the morning. waking me up all the time. im really getting sick of it.

anyone else haing this issue?

you can see who the ulprits are if you drive by walshes on a friday or saturday night.

it is becoming a problem and it seems to be bothering more and more people. it think there is many factors involved. the fact that there is little or no traffic on the roads after 10 or so means they have free reign of the place. i have suggested before that traffic calming measures like bumps and island would prevent a lot of the speeding and crazy driving. and as far as i know these cars are only intolerably loud when you floor it so if they do not have the oppurtunity to do this with the bumps?

another point of traffic in rush that is seriously beginning to annoy me is outside haores service station there should be double yelllow lines on both sides of that road. its crazy there when people just drive through and expect to stop or move out of the way.... now correct me if i am wrong but if the obstruction is on your side of the road do you not have to give way?

and also has anyone paid for parking on main street rush? and has anyone seen any enforcment?

whats the point in paying for that parking? is it going to go towards something useful like traffic caling? or even redevelopment of the main street?

Rant over.... sorry i like rush i really do.

Martron wrote: »
    another point of traffic in rush that is seriously beginning to annoy me is outside haores service station there should be double yelllow lines on both sides of that road. its crazy there when people just drive through and expect to stop or move out of the way....
    I suspect it may be deliberate to slow people down. I don't really see what difference double yellows would make anyway. It's illegal to park on a footpath at any time, yet some of those who drink in Walsh's seem to think nothing of parking their vehicle totally up on the footpath forcing pedestrians to step out onto the road to pass.

And double yellow lines don't seem to deter people from parking on the southern side of Main Street.
    Martron wrote:
    now correct me if i am wrong but if the obstruction is on your side of the road do you not have to give way?
    Srtictly speaking yes, but it would depend on the type of vehicle and the circumstances. A driver of a car should generally give way to a larger heavy vehicle as it is much easier to manoeuvre a car
    Martron wrote:
    and also has anyone paid for parking on main street rush?
    I pay every time I park there.
    Martron wrote:
    whats the point in paying for that parking?
    It stops all day parking and therefore frees up spaces for those who wish to park for a short period. I think the introduction of parking fees is the best thing that has happened to rush in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I have never really paid too much attention to cars speeding around the place .....

Then i moved to rush.

this happens quite a lot on my road and i am sick of it. its a matter of time before someone gets hurt.

(for the record i am not a fuddy duddy.... i really dont mind a small bit of tom foolery but its getting out of hand... but when its at 130 in the morning!!!)

any suggestions on what to do.?

MARTRON, It aint only Rush. Its everywhere.
    However on Rush. Have you gone to clinics of local T.Ds? I have and email them regularly. You may remember speeding had stopped on South beach when Fingal C C put down the rocks then Rush Community Council objected and they were removed and families could not use this great amenity to walk safely. And if speed ramps are put in you get the same objections.

If you give the reg number of a car to a T.D or Councillor they are OBLIGED to follow it up/report the car and they get a report back. You dont have to give your name. Try Darragh O'Brien F.F TD. He is very good to deal with.
    Speed checks were put on Lr.Main St as a result of a number of complaints and have made a difference but the lads who drive these cars share info just like us on boards and within 30min they drive by and wave at Guards. Keep phoning the Guards and keep hounding local reps and if this does not work,
    Call Joe 1850 715 815 the iveline is open now!!!:) Then you will see action from all concerned.
    BTW most of these lads with these cars are ok. Just Noisey

ah sure i know its everywhere and i know these lads are alright. sure i know what its like having a nice car and wantin to drive it but if you do it reponsibly you can stll enjoy it. i like loud music but i dont piss off my neighbours by blaring it.

at the end of the day i have emailed local "politicians" with no avail. i do not wish to "hound" the guards with non emergencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭giggsy664

well because the streets are so narrow anyway i would not mind seeing more speed bumps.

the gardai really have to pull their finger out. its getting to a stage that i wont want to ring the gardai as i know it will have no effect

There was a situation in swords with boy racers screaming down the forest road (near river valley). About 5 speed bumps were put in and now there's nothing!

nobody can really complain because i believe in a small narrow village/town it benefits everyone safty wise.

i can hear one now and i dont exactly live near main street but i know its on it. cant be doing the speed limit

i can hear one now and i dont exactly live near main street but i know its on it. cant be doing the speed limit
    Just heard it myself - I'm fairly near the Main Street.

The frosty conditions don't seem to affect these lads!

• Advertisement

ha ha we are beginning to sound like right old fuddy duddys. neighbor hood watch!!!

Advertisement