Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portuguese beers?

• 08-07-2008 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I'm off to Porto next week and I was wondering what beers you lads recommend I should I try while there. I believe Super Bock is brewed close-by but I've never tasted this.

Any small/local brands that I shouldn't miss?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's, er, mainly port down that way. But you should be able to get good deals on Belgian stuff in the supermarkets.

FWIW, my write-up on Portugal (just Lisbon) is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭tonton zola

I'm aware that the odd bottle of port might be knocking around and I may even sample ;)

Thanks for the link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Superbock is nice - if a bit gassy

Try the Sagres negra - very nice in a bottle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 stillhere08

if you like white wine, you could try the Vinho verde wines, the main wine in this region of Portugal, after the Portos of course. It is slightly fizzy, lower in alcohol( about 10 %) and very refreshing. I can recommend either Casal Garcia or Gazelle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Super Bock is very nice but be aware that it is stronger than most beers. I think it may be 5.5-6%. Sagres is also nice. Cristal is another which I wasn't mad on. I actually found most of them to be quite gassy :o

And certainly try some of the local wines. Very little is exported but there are certainly a few of exportable quality.

The price of alcohol there also makes it taste all that bit sweeter too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

If you like your stout make sure you get try Sagres Preta, they also sell the Spainish beer San Miguel nearly everywhere in Portugal which is lovely, especially in an ice-cold tin cup (only get them in the local bars).:pac:

Advertisement