Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Amber before green - join the movement !

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No, there are plenty of existing rules (speed limits, .....), which if properly observed and enforced would lead to more efficient traffic movement.

At traffic lights ?

Speed limits at raffic lights :D ... sorry Cyclopath, but this time you've lost the plot completely ...time to pack in the old soap box my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The NRA probably know the benefits of Amber before green but like turning Left on a red they are afraid to implement it for fear of a flood of idiot drivers that will look at this as a license to put the boot down once amber appears. Their attitude would probably "leave well enough alone". It could also be a patriotic thing, i.e why should we follow in the footsteps of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

There are hardly any traffic lights in the sticks, move there and save yourself that precious 2 seconds it takes the noob infront of you to release handbrake, engage gear and move off.

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'd support it..

But would it really make that much of a difference? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

peasant wrote: »
    At traffic lights ?

Speed limits at raffic lights :D ... sorry Cyclopath, but this time you've lost the plot completely ...time to pack in the old soap box my friend.
    The 'plot' is about improving traffic flow. Pay attention.

Speeding adds to congestion by denying merging opportunities and also by giving rise to more situations of people blocking junctions because they were going too fast to stop in a non-blocking situation.

Changing the signal pattern is a waste of time compared to the other measures I mentioned.

Let's get the existing rules working first before making new ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What does "merging opportunities" have to do with traffic lights?

Nothing, but of course you can't let a thread go by without preaching about speeding...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

MYOB wrote: »
    What does "merging opportunities" have to do with traffic lights?

Nothing, but of course you can't let a thread go by without preaching about speeding...
    My point was that tinkering with traffic lights won't improve congestion problems. I gave examples of how this problem could be solved. I know that people here don't want to discuss speeding, sorry for mentioning such an embarrassing matter.

Let's focus on the problem to be solved (congestion) rather than quick-fix gimmicks like 'orange before green'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm from the North myself I kind of found it a little surprising at the start that the lights in the south go from red straight to green, instead of red, amber, green.

However now that I'm used to it, it doesn't really make much of a difference to me personally. But I can see how it could surprise someone who is used to it the red - amber - green system.

I guess what I like is that it gives you a bit of warning that the light is about to turn green and give you a few seconds to put the car in gear etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Holsten wrote: »
    I'd support it..

But would it really make that much of a difference? Really?

I believe it would. Not only does amber before green signal the impending change to green to the first car in the queue, but to all the subsequent ones as well.

So everybody can be ready to drive off when it's green instead of waking from their slumber, fiddling with gears and handbrakes and wasting everybodies time.

How many vehicles are waiting in all of Ireland in front of traffic ligths during rush hour on any given day? 300,000; 500,000; a million? All sitting there, with engines idling, producing tons of CO2. How often is that process repeated until they get to their destination?

If because of this measure only one extra car got through every queue at every traffic light, it would make a huge difference. Maybe not a very noticable one for the individual driver, but looking at the big picture, traffic flow would speed up by a significant percentage.

The cost on the other hand would be minimal. Other than a software tweak and an ad campaign to make drivers aware of the changes ...nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I voted no but hear me out.

I drive a motorbike or moped so you’ll often see me at the top of the queue. :pac:
    And I’ll be 30 metres up the road before the car behind me has even started to move as I’m watching the opposite lights if possible so I know when my lights are going to change. All about awareness folks!

Some car drivers do this but most don’t and almost all are slow getting away from lights. Maybe it’s harder for them to see and maybe they don’t care but I don’t think amber lights will make a difference.

Secondly, we have flashing amber lights at some pedestrians crossings. This means if it’s safe to do so but I’ve often been walking across one and when the lights flash amber car start beeping me as if I’m in the wrong and start pointing at me to hurry up and get out of the way
    Is this going to happen at all junctions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My point was that tinkering with traffic lights won't improve congestion problems. I gave examples of how this problem could be solved. I know that people here don't want to discuss speeding, sorry for mentioning such an embarrassing matter.

Let's focus on the problem to be solved (congestion) rather than quick-fix gimmicks like 'orange before green'.

The fact is its not a 'quick fix gimmick', nor is it 'tinkering'. Its proven to work in many other countries as it is. It will help far more to solve congestion than messing with city centre speed limits or any of your other suggestions - most of which are miles off the mark.

However, it won't work here if cyclists continue to preempt lights like the majority of those in the city centre do...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Like many other things to do with road instruction, Ireland has used the American model. Yellow diamond road signs anyone?

As someone from Northern Ireland, it would appear that the traffic lights here are much more complicated than those in the UK. So many filter lights, do not turn left etc. on even the simplest junctions. Would that interfere with having the red-amber combination?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Nope, it would make things worse for all the bad drivers out there. Now if you had an option for the Marshalite traffice light system I would have voted yes! :D Or better still have a big COUNTER for all amber light fans lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

The 'plot' is about improving traffic flow. Pay attention.

Speeding adds to congestion by denying merging opportunities and also by giving rise to more situations of people blocking junctions because they were going too fast to stop in a non-blocking situation.

Changing the signal pattern is a waste of time compared to the other measures I mentioned.

Let's get the existing rules working first before making new ones.

With all due respect, you make no sense.

This is not a rule. It gives the first few cars in a queue the heads up to drop the handbrake, and get ready to move.

It is not a new rule, just something which will cost nothing and will improve efficiency.

(Actually I notice a lot of temporary traffic lights do it already since they are set up for the UK/NI/Everywhere else in the world)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Nope, it would make things worse for all the bad drivers out there. Now if you had an option for the Marshalite traffice light system I would have voted yes! :D Or better still have a big COUNTER for all amber light fans lol.

300px-Marshalite_traffic_signal%2C_Melbourne_Museum.jpg
    an alternative, rotary traffic signal designed by Charles Marshall in 1936 & used from the 1940s through 1970s in Australia. 2 rotors pointing at colored sections denote whether traffic in either direction should proceed, prepare, or stop. based on a traditional clock face, it has the advantage of clearly showing signal phase timing.

No thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

good idea, i say yes. But the government dont like change.
    won't happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

+1 , one of these days one of these dawdliers at the traffic lights is going to have their steering wheel wrapped around their head by me.

Don't waste a life mr government man, do as the OP says

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

micmclo wrote: »
    I drive a motorbike or moped so you’ll often see me at the top of the queue. :pac:
    And I’ll be 30 metres up the road before the car behind me has even started to move as I’m watching the opposite lights if possible so I know when my lights are going to change. All about awareness folks!

Some car drivers do this but most don’t and almost all are slow getting away from lights. Maybe it’s harder for them to see and maybe they don’t care but I don’t think amber lights will make a difference.

I try to do this and it works in some places where the angle of the lights is readable (like the N3/M50 roundabout) but most of the time the angle is not there to see the opposite lights, It's easier for motorcyclists because they stop in the area in front of the white line most of the time, whereas I'll stop my car before the white line.

Also, as peasant said, the amber light would also signal the subsequent vehicles which would have no chance of checking the opposite lights.

How about a new solution, everyone stop with a car distance between yourself and the car infront, then when the light goes amber, engage gear, when goes green Go!, the extra gap between the cars means all cars can proceed at the same time! :) [would work better if everyone accelerated at the same rate]

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

makes good sense = probably why it won't happen here

Advertisement