Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with Lan network automatically staying as "Public" Network

Options
  • 08-07-2008 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭

I have my ethernet cable connecting my laptop and my xbox and i need the LAN network to always stay private so i can stream videos to my xbox but everytime i take the ethernet cable out or turn off the laptop or xbox the network reverts back to public,it wont seem to stay on private. I got my wireless to stay on private no problems so I was wondering is there a way to save it so it stays private?

Any help would be great,thanks :)

Rejkin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

rejkin wrote: »
    I have my ethernet cable connecting my laptop and my xbox and i need the LAN network to always stay private so i can stream videos to my xbox but everytime i take the ethernet cable out or turn off the laptop or xbox the network reverts back to public,it wont seem to stay on private. I got my wireless to stay on private no problems so I was wondering is there a way to save it so it stays private?

Any help would be great,thanks :)

Rejkin

looks like you have vista on your laptop have a look at the screenie attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Yes thats exactly it but it wont let me rename it,its put as "unidentified network" and i can highlight it but it wont let me rename :confused:

I can rename the wireless network no problem though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I had the same problem when i first installed vista on my laptop.

Try this first
    "Turn off the power-saving option in the network adapter's properties (wired
    network adapters only)"
    Right click the Nic and select properties - configure - advanced scroll down to it.

If that fails try this one
    on your laptops nic ( wired network adapters only ) setup a static ip address reboot the laptop.
    make sure your using the same gateway / subnet / if you don't know what they are set your nic to dhcp make a screenshot of the details and enter them in by hand in the static ip field.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

ok eh.. i tried the first one but could not find power saver option and i dont have a clue about the second..:(

Advertisement