Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points help

Options
  • 08-07-2008 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've been wondering - if the course I choose isn't for me and I take a year out, can I use the points I get this year and reapply in 2009?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

You can defer for a year using the CAO system I think.

Edit: more information
    DEFER OFFER

• If you wish to defer accepting the place offered for a year, you must write immediately to the Admissions Office of the college, setting out your reasons for seeking a deferral.

• You must enclose the relevant part of your offer notice and mark your envelope "Deferred Entry".

• Your letter must arrive in the college at least two days before the reply date on the offer notice.

• Do not send anything to the CAO, but re-apply to them by February 1st 2007, placing the deferred course as the only course on your application.

From last year but still accurate ^^

http://www.sligochampion.ie/news/leaving-certificate-results-how-to-deal-with-cao-offers-deferral-and-other-options-1054976.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

That's only if you want to do the same course again, though, just not straight after the Leaving Cert. AFAIK, you would be a mature student applying if you take a year out, though of course you can use your CAO points again- they're lifelong

karlr42 wrote: »
    That's only if you want to do the same course again, though, just not straight after the Leaving Cert. AFAIK, you would be a mature student applying if you take a year out, though of course you can use your CAO points again- they're lifelong

Yes to the points you can use whenever, no to you being a mature student if you apply if you take a year out. You've to be over 23 on the 1st of January in the year you're starting the course to qualify as a mature student, and if you go through the Mature access routes you won't be assessed on your Leaving Cert points anyways!

Advertisement