Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

N11 at Belfield - Caught Speeding

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

If not, then just turn up at court and say you never received the letter. The matter will, most likely, be struck out.

Yeah, why not add perjury to the two points. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Well, it's worked for many other people. The Op asked for help, and I gave him a practical solution.

In any event, most people with a bit of common sense realise that the speed checks are being conducted on some of the country's safest roads, ie. in order to maximise revenue. Where's the morals there?

You've gotta fight fire with fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

This one really grinds my gears! The Guards are still shooting fish in the old Belfield Bridge barrel, eh? :rolleyes:

Why are they so unimaginative in choosing the same locations over and over? i'll tell ye why; they like a sure thing. They know they'll pick off plenty of people going over the limit there and it's a tidy little earner / quota filler for them. The eejits should go setup their trap somewhere that they might actually do some good.

But yeah OP, take the points. No sense in making your old man answer for your misfortune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

bwardrop wrote: »
    I am not sure if this is still the case, and I'm willing to be corrected - but as far as I know, you may only have one private car insured in your name. By having more than one car insured in a person's name, both policies may be null and void. I think it is a common misconception that parents (or anyone) can insure a second car so a named driver can be the main driver of the second vehicle. I would imagine there are many people in this situation. Can anyone clarify this?

2nd edit - this topic is being discussed in another new-ish thread. No definitive answer there at the moment though. Plenty of people with more than one policy, but no one with a convincing answer either way.

I've two policys on two cars, both Insurance companys know, never a word said to me from either one :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Im reading this thread as a result of Chergars recently locked thread.

Massive magumbos - take the 2 points yourself and have some responsibility for your actions.

Is daddy going to be looking after you for the rest of your life is he? - or rather letting you walk all over him. Cant say I really agree with the little spiel you have goin here with registering your car in your dads name, insuring it under him, getting done for speeding and now trying to pass off the points to him. - but anyway, that's your business.

Im also 22 - I was able to get proper isurance on a proper RX-8 (231 6sp) .. I have 2 points and it made no difference, so It doesnt really matter whether you choose to keep them yourself or pass them on to your dad.

PS. There is no way you got 250kmh out of your 190 on the "autobahn"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

C_Breeze wrote: »
    Im reading this thread as a result of Chergars recently locked thread.

It was my thread that got locked after Chergars rant. It was getting interesting too :(

Still, I agree with what he said, just not how he said it ;)!! I was wondering about the car alright - he said here it was 190bhp and that it could handle 250km/h on the autobahn in the other thread... that set the b*llsh*t alarms off alright!!

I get the feeling massivemagumbos has abandoned this thread though. Pity & I hope he follows up about his insurance - otherwise the rest of us may have to pay for his accident, should he have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Chergar

Hey guys, C-Breeze and Bwardrop in particular

Just want to say sorry about getting the thread locked. I just got worked up and really infuriated by this. I know it was getting interesting. But hopefully you can understand the bull**** had to be addressed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Chergar wrote: »
    I know it was getting interesting.

No, it wasn't.

It was veering wildly off topic and descending into yet another pointless discussion about speeding

peasant wrote: »
    No, it wasn't.

It was veering wildly off topic and descending into yet another pointless discussion about speeding

I appreciate that it (the other thread) was getting a bit off topic (as is this post), but I was finding the discussion about speeding and cameras interesting. The discussion had evolved onto that. This is a discussion forum is it not? I know that Chergars post was out of line, but the rest of us were having a decent debate - I certainly didn't find it pointless. There are plenty of thread across multiple forums here that don't interest me - so I don't keep up with them / post on them. Why was that thread more pointless than anyone else's?

If I wanted to continue the debate, could I open a new thread on speeding, or would that be deemed pointless too?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭massivemagumbos

But hopefully you can understand the bull**** had to be addressed

I wasn't in the Rx8, it's top speed is 220. I was in a delimited E46 M3.

Anyway thanks everyone for your input. I've slowed down to 60km/h on the road and i'm getting flashed, beeped and overtaken by lorries, probably gunna cause as crash driving so slow. At least it wont be me getting the penalty points. And i'll just wait for the system to nab the 99% of ppl going at least 20km/h over the limit, so that in a few centuries everyone will drive at 60.

On the original point, I wasn't asking for moral judgement, I was hoping someone with a bit of insurance experience might be able to do the maths and tell me which option wud be cheaper at the end of the day.

I'm taking the points anyway. Happy safe driving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Chergar

Oh sorry massivemagumbo's My mistake. It just looked like you were talking about an Rx8. Sorry about that, fairplay for having an M3 at 22. Some achievment, took me ages and a serious amount of bankruptcy before i could afford it. well done.
    How much is your insurance on such a car at your age? which way did you go, Rx8 to M3, or M3 to RX8. i cant imagine it was the latter. Anyway sorry for the confusion there.

This is my first car. And I don't really plan on driving a slower car (this is 190bhp) than this one until the oil runs out.

Sounds like someone is telling porkie pies.... De-limited E46 M3 with 190bhp :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

fairplay for having an M3 at 22.
    bwardrop wrote: »
    Sounds like someone is telling porkie pies.... De-limited E46 M3 with 190bhp :confused:

Nowhere did the OP say that he actually owned the M3 in which he supposedly did the 250 km/h ...did he?

Please stop your fault finding mission, its beginning to look like a personal vendetta.

Advertisement