Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract dodgy??

Options
  • 08-07-2008 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Been working in a part time job in retail for nearly 11 mths. Business not doing too great so they let the last person in go recently. Now they sent us contracts out of the blue. I have signed contracts in the past when I worked full time but bit concerned about this one.....

First they are asking me for a months notice when I leave...for a part time job??? I do get paid monthly so maybe thats the reason, but if I have to break it to get another job can they do anything to me, money wise etc?

The 2nd thing in the contract is that if I make a mistake ordering something then I can be held responsible, i.e. pay up and orders could be in the 1000's! I'd have to work to pay it off for the rest of the year and I am a mature student who cannot afford this!

I didn't agree with either of these however when I discussed I was told that if I didn't sign it...there would 'be no employment for me'....

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Deadeyes

Have you talked to any of your colleagues about the contract? Has anyone else signed? Looks like they're hoping people wont sign to get rid of them. The months notice doesn't sound like that big a deal. If/When you get a new job they'll most likely understand if you say your contract requires a months notice. If you breach the contract can they come after you? Technically yes, but would they bother unlikely.
    As for the second part. Paying for mistakes out of your wages, sod that. If I was you I would try to put off signing the contract for as long as possible while simultaneously looking for another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Deadeyes
    Thanks for your reply. I would have no problem with the months notice usually and have signed contracts for that usually when in full time employment however this is only a part time job and I live in a city with colleges so I doubt any place will wait 1 month in the current climate of feck all jobs!
    They are sly and wouldn't trust them to come after me.

Advertisement