Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought car today

Options
  • 08-07-2008 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I drove it home all was grand only had a quick look for the items as i just fell in love with it.
    I was just reading the spec again and its missing a few things in the ad ie. traction control, heated/electrical mirrors & outside temp control and f/s/h.

What should i do ?

To be honest i dont really want those things(apartfrom F/S/H) its the fact its a misleading ad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Not much you can do complain?! The full service history is one of the main reasons you bought it, so kicking up a stink. False advertisement?
    Will it get you much?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Go back to them straight away, they should discount you for the not being as advertised, or are you telling all. did you get a discount already when you arrived and sign off on the deal after they told you these things were not included?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Bring it back to them, demand a full refund. They don't have a legal leg to stand on if they try and refuse. It's a dealer, so the sale of goods and supply of services act applies. Once they've agreed to the refund, you can renegotiate on the price if you want to keep it (i'd say don't).

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭i_hate_rain

listermint wrote: »
    Go back to them straight away, they should discount you for the not being as advertised, or are you telling all. did you get a discount already when you arrived and sign off on the deal after they told you these things were not included?

Why advertise if it didnt have it?!
    Obviously i didnt know otherwise i wouldnt be posting this would I?

Just paid €35 to have a check on the car and im sickened to find out it has had 4 owners not one!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Right, I used to update Carzone for the garage i used to work for. When putting up an ad, there's a selection of tick boxes that you check to highlight the options the car has (rather than writing them out individually) so its quite easy to make a mistake if your not watching what your doing.

First thing to do is print a copy of the carzone ad, as proof.
    Next, contact the salesman but give him the benefit of the doubt that it was a mistake and not a deliberate attempt to deceive you. Give him an opportuinity to put it right (free service/years road tax/cashback, etc.)
    If you go in all guns blazing, he'll prob just get odd and take his chances in telling you to f**k off.

If that doesn't work, then don't be afraid to threaten legal action and don't be afraid to follow through on it. YOUR RIGHT, HE'S WRONG!!!!!!!

edit: the seller would know its had more owners, its on the VLC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

dear god four?

great advertisment for the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

First off, make a soft and hard copy of the ad now, before it disappears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Okay jesus, this is completely wrong, i assumed the ad was just incorrect, but i'd be less then impressed if i were you. and have a nice friendly chat with him!

looking at the service sticker on the ad, garage has had the car since the start of february. long time for a small car at that price. I'd be trying to get my money back and spending it else where!!!

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »

ok saved on both my laptop and home computer cant believe im such a fool!!!

last sale was 8may 08 apparently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

And colour is spelt color in the add too!:eek:

I wouldn't call you foolish, 90% of the public know nothing about cars, the only advice i can offer in future is to get someone who knows what they're doing to take a look.

1. Always ask to see the licencing cert, if they don't have it, ask why.
    2. Check when the last tax disk ran out, u can see in the ad 01/08.
    3. Do an online check BEFORE u buy the car
    4. If you've any questions that the garage cant answer, don't be afraid to
    ask them to get them on the phone.

In fairness though it is one of the cheapest Clios on carzone at the moment and it looks like it's a tidy car for the money, I honestly don't think you'll find a better car for the price tbh, (I've no links to the seller by the way).

Why advertise if it didnt have it?!
    Obviously i didnt know otherwise i wouldnt be posting this would I?

I wasnt trying to be rude or obnoxious. It just that things like the details of the ad should ideally be checked before the cash is handed over. Im on your side. Its a live and learn situation. Go back to them ASAP.

So what should i ask from him?

I live in wex dealer in dub

Should i just tell him to come down with a recovery truck and take the f-ing thing back as well as compensation for wasted time hours off work etc?

junkyard wrote: »
    In fairness though it is one of the cheapest Clios on carzone at the moment and it looks like it's a tidy car for the money, I honestly don't think you'll find a better car for the price tbh, (I've no links to the seller by the way).

It was cheap cos theres a few niggly things wrong like broken back light,loads of scratches few things on the interior broken but honestly i just need a reliable small car to get me to college and how can i trust this one now?

So what should i ask from him?

I live in wex dealer in dub

Should i just tell him to come down with a recovery truck and take the f-ing thing back as well as compensation for wasted time hours off work etc?

well, if he agree's to take the car back, i can almost gaurantee that you wont get compo. It'll be one or the other

It's unlikely he'll take it back that easily if the car is in roadworthy condition and hasn't been crashed, you could be fighting this for years and your obliged not to use the car if there's any legal action being taken.

• Advertisement

Id call him up first, explain the ad to him. Explain that you have done a hpi check on the car and the results were different to the ad. Wait to see what he says and then ask for compensation. If your happy with the car keep it and get some money off it.

It was cheap cos theres a few niggly things wrong like broken back light,loads of scratches few things on the interior broken but honestly i just need a reliable small car to get me to college and how can i trust this one now?
    It really mightn't be as bad a car as you think, even though it's well known around here that I hate Renaults the Clio isn't the worst of them tbh.

junkyard wrote: »
    It's unlikely he'll take it back that easily if the car is in roadworthy condition and hasn't been crashed, you could be fighting this for years and your obliged not to use the car if there's any legal action being taken.

He's right, but if he's any good he will give you some sort of goodwill gesture

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

peasant wrote: »

+1

Get your stuff together,

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

FSH seems like a box some dealers tick automatically. A couple of years ago FSH's on carzone seemed fe wand far between , but they seem to be growing them as cars get older.

I sold my Safrane around Oct last year privately, it's popped up in a garage not too far from me recently with 10k ish more miles (no problem there) but apparently now has a FSH which it didnt have when I sold it and the last service I did myself at 85k ish.

The car seems pretty sound and i like it, I was bringing it to a mechanic to have it checked over tomorrow but im not gona do that for now in case he takes it back.
    I really am just annoyed about the whole scenario

i'd still bring it to the mechanic. if he finds something seriously wrong, it'll give you more ammo against the garage if you do decide to throw it back. It could also tell you if its a good solid little car

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The car seems pretty sound and i like it, I was bringing it to a mechanic to have it checked over tomorrow but im not gona do that for now in case he takes it back.
    I really am just annoyed about the whole scenario

Your main issue seems to be that your doing everything in reverse. ie you took it at face value and only did things like check specs, doing history checks and getting a mechanic to look at it after you bought it.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Your main issue seems to be that your doing everything in reverse. ie you took it at face value and only did things like check specs, doing history checks and getting a mechanic to look at it after you bought it.

I'd agree with that, but unfortunately most people dont know any better. Lesson is : DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you even leave the house

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »

I know i should have got a mechanic to look at it first but the mechanic i would use would have to take 4-5 off hours off work just to go up so i would have to pay him for that time.

How was i to know it had 4 owners?
    It doesnt say on the registration cert /change of ownership thing
    The 4 owners thing is causing the most worry now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement