Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought car today

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Did they give you the log book?Under section J.3 on it it states how many previous owners the car had,the online check may well be wrong so dont worry just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How was i to know it had 4 owners?
    It doesnt say on the registration cert /change of ownership thing
    The 4 owners thing is causing the most worry now

How did you find out it had 4 owners? Cartell? (this could and should have been done before buying, also ask to see the VLC before)

If the VLC says it's had 1 then it's had 1. Cartell is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭i_hate_rain

Stekelly wrote: »
    How did you find out it had 4 owners? Cartell?

If the VLC says it's had 1 then it's had 1. Cartell is wrong.

I dont kno it was a check i got off cars ireland ,
    It wasnt a log book just a registration cert (only has sellers signature on it no names or address') he gave me a copy of that but nothing else cos he was sending it away

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭needhelpguy

Car dealers in this country are a law unto themselves. They won't easily take any car back. Unless you're willing to spend thousands on legal fees and a few years wait for a court appearance, and you're happy enough with the car as is, I wouldn't bother. You'll be fighting an uphill struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

eeemmmm...

Stock:
    This Renault Clio was confirmed to be in stock today
    ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

First thing to do is print a copy of the carzone ad, as proof.
    Next, contact the salesman but give him the benefit of the doubt that it was a mistake and not a deliberate attempt to deceive you. Give him an opportuinity to put it right (free service/years road tax/cashback, etc.)
    If you go in all guns blazing, he'll prob just get odd and take his chances in telling you to f**k off.

If that doesn't work, then don't be afraid to threaten legal action and don't be afraid to follow through on it. YOUR RIGHT, HE'S WRONG!!!!!!!

edit: the seller would know its had more owners, its on the VLC
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

ShayK1 wrote: »
    eeemmmm...

Stock:
    This Renault Clio was confirmed to be in stock today
    ??

Just laziness and to get people looking for cars to the garage. The car I bought in a garage was on carzone for a month extra in stock.

ok had it checked out by mechanic few dodgy things like new steering wheel??? and few other things like speedomoter disconnected etc
    But he said for the money its ok but he'll know more when he services it (badly needs one but i knew that)

So im going to ring the lad now and complain and ask for extra warranty i only got two weeks

what should i say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

New steering wheel? Disconnected speedometer?:eek:

Man did you even look at this car before you handed over the moola?

BUYER BEWARE

Steering wheel is not a big issue and the miles coordinate with last tax and last service unless its been driven around with no tax or been clocked

I think ill be replacing the timing belt just to be safe when its being serviced i dont mind spending a litlle bit extra if its going to be half decent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Of course the mileage will correlate - it's been disconnecetd.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No offence OP but there are some valuable lessons for you to learn here: have a car history check done and have a mechanic look at the car before you buy otherwise as you may find out now the car may not be bargin it started out as.

Best of luck with it anyway.

Thanks for the reply i rang and ate the s*** out of him and i got an extended warranty

I know all the things i should have done but i really needed a car and id fallen in love with it , I still like it knowing its had 4 owners and the money i saved can go into repairs

I'll learn from my mistake:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

i only got two weeks...
    i got an extended warranty
    What did they extend it to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

Wow, this dealer sounds like a real cowboy!

OP if i were you i would try and get a full refund for the car and just walk away. You will get a far better car for that money in the current market...

I also doubt your extended warranty will be worth much with this guy!

Sorry to hear about your scenario, i would be sick if that happened to me..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

ok had it checked out by mechanic few dodgy things like new steering wheel??? and few other things like speedomoter disconnected etc
    But he said for the money its ok but he'll know more when he services it (badly needs one but i knew that)

So im going to ring the lad now and complain and ask for extra warranty i only got two weeks

what should i say?

a Trade seller is legally obliged to give a minimum of 3 months engine and gearbox warranty when selling to a member of the public regardless of condition of the vehicle involved!!!
    The only way around this is if he got you to sign a warranty waiver. Obviosly he didn't do this as he gave you 2 weeks warranty.

Chances are that this guy isn't a member of the SIMI, in which case the chances are he isn't declaring to revenue that he's a business. If he's dragging his feet, don't be afraid to hit him below the bet by threatening him with that knowledge!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the delay in replying i got a months warranty i know its not really enough but i dont know what else i can do at this stage(i did not know they are legally obliged to give a 3mths warranty what about all the cars sold as seen?)

He rang twice at about 3 but i had fallen asleep and missed the calls should i ring him back ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

Go to your citizens advice bureau with a copy of the ad and any other documentation. They'll give you all the info you'll need to go back to the dealer with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Sorry for the delay in replying i got a months warranty i know its not really enough but i dont know what else i can do at this stage(i did not know they are legally obliged to give a 3mths warranty what about all the cars sold as seen?)

He rang twice at about 3 but i had fallen asleep and missed the calls should i ring him back ?

Its illegal for a car trader to sell a car "Sold as Seen" to a member of the public unless you've signed a srecific warranty waiver (which will specifically say that the car mightn't be roadworthy).
    Minimum is 3 months engine & gearbox.
    to give a 2 week warranty is an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My advice would now be to stop posting about this until you have spoken to the dealer and come to a solution (or not, as the case may be).

Wild speculation on a public forum mixed in with accusations that may or may not be factually correct may harm your case, particularly the goodwill of the dealer.

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    My advice would now be to stop posting about this until you have spoken to the dealer and come to a solution (or not, as the case may be).

Wild speculation on a public forum mixed in with accusations that may or may not be factually correct may harm your case, particularly the goodwill of the dealer.

Can the mods close the thread while things are being sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

they can indeed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement