Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How is thie **** legal?!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't think there's any advertising laws for the internet (or there wasn't at one stage) but things like that show that there should be. It's an absolute piss take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Also, when you sign up, they also sign you up for promotional info about "similar" products, presumably costing you extra money. The only way to opt out of these products is to ring the help line.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Does anyone else think that these subscription services should be banned. What's to stop someone signing up a load of people to this service for a laugh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nothing, and Comreg are there to make sure you stay signed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

It's like a tax on stupid people. Dispicable.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Nothing, and Comreg are there to make sure you stay signed up.
    Anyone have eamon ryan's mobile number? *evil smiley*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Anyone have eamon ryan's mobile number? *evil smiley*

emm no not quite :cool: but

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Does anyone else think that these subscription services should be banned. What's to stop someone signing up a load of people to this service for a laugh?

You're an evil evil man for even thinking of that, but damn it made me laugh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

not 100% sure but i think when anyone inputs their or someone elses mobile number a message is sent to the number which must be replied to in order to confirm the subscription. but hundreds of children and stupid people do not read the small print in such messages and end up paying the price with needing new numbers/sim cards

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    not 100% sure

Neither am I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

think when anyone inputs their or someone elses mobile number a message is sent to the number which must be replied to

Possibly, but chances are the message begins with something like..

"CONGRATULATIONS!!!" ..

God that makes me so, so angry.

womoma wrote: »

God that makes me so, so angry.

I know :cool:

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Damn, that is tempting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i don't think they should be banned. They have a use and lots of people want them, for example for football results etc. What should be banned is abuse of the system. Oh wait, it's already banned but everyone at comregs gone home for the year

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I doubt Irish law would cover this website regarding advertising anyway, while its hosted with an Irish ISP its reged to somebody in the UK

whois.co.uk results
    Domain name: mobyplanet.net

Registrant Contact:
    Clarion Marketing
    Gavin McConnon

Kissack Court
    29 Parliamnt Street
    Ramsey,
    GB

Administrative Contact:
    Clarion Marketing
    Gavin McConnon
    Kissack Court
    29 Parliamnt Street
    Ramsey,
    GB

Technical Contact:
    Clarion Marketing
    Gavin McConnon
    Kissack Court
    29 Parliamnt Street
    Ramsey,
    GB

btw, i know someone who used to work for a company that did pretty much exactly this and it is possible to make money off it. When you subscribe, they really do send instructions on how to claim your e80. If you then send an SAE they will send you a cheque. Then you can unsubscribe having only paid 10 or 20 euro.

the system works for them because nobody bothers to send in the SAE. And also they randomly pick numbers and sign them up every now and then so the people don't know anything about it and so don't claim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    btw, i know someone who used to work for a company that did pretty much exactly this and it is possible to make money off it. When you subscribe, they really do send instructions on how to claim your e80. If you then send an SAE they will send you a cheque. Then you can unsubscribe having only paid 10 or 20 euro.

the system works for them because nobody bothers to send in the SAE. And also they randomly pick numbers and sign them up every now and then so the people don't know anything about it and so don't claim

it is possible but they only give the bare minimum time frame to reply with your s.a.e. and then it is down to the postal service which they are banking on being slow and inefficient,

so if your postman ten minutes late you lose out! it is very hard to meet all their requirments and then impossible to ensure the post is on time!

it is possible but they only give the bare minimum time frame to reply with your s.a.e. and then it is down to the postal service which they are banking on being slow and inefficient,

so if your postman ten minutes late you lose out! it is very hard to meet all their requirments and then impossible to ensure the post is on time!

no there's nothing about a minimum time frame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 edhunter

not 100% sure but i think when anyone inputs their or someone elses mobile number a message is sent to the number which must be replied to in order to confirm the subscription. but hundreds of children and stupid people do not read the small print in such messages and end up paying the price with needing new numbers/sim cards

The amount of times I got people coming in to Xtravision to complain about their credit being eaten up - and their doe-eyed spawn looking soooo innocent beside them, but 9 times out of 10 I know it's their own fault.

• Advertisement
Advertisement