Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFX Card Power Connectors?

Options
  • 08-07-2008 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I was hoping someone here could help me, trying to upgrade my PC as its groaning under the strain of Age of Conan currently.

I'm looking at getting a nvidia GeForce GTX 260 - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-167-AS

I've got a GeForce 8600GT in there at the moment. Now I'm looking at the spec for the new card and it says I need "Two supplementary 6-pin PCI Express power connectors".

My current card doesnt require any additional power connectors, and I'm not sure if my motherboard has these on them. Here is the manual

http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/SM/techov.htm#wp1060221

Does anyone know if my motherboard has these or can show me a pic of them so I can check to see? Can I get an adapter to take the power from one of the leads for IDE/SATA drives?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You have 1 of those connections on your psu here, marked p10 in pic, You'll should get a 2 molex (p8&9 in pic) to 6 pin adapter, if not i have one you can have for free.

Note: it doesn't say the wattage of the psu, this is important

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Just checked and I've only got one of those 4 pin molex conncetors free, so think I'm just gonna have to build a new machine. :D

Ya thats it, You should get one with it, I've got them before with graphics cards with only one 6pin connector. I'd be very suprised if you don't

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭draken

I just bought an inno3D GeForce 9600 GSO.

I Know I need to get a converter for 2x 4 pin power suply to a 6 pin supply. Except, I cont seem to find a site that will send Ireland. Overclockers is currently giving me an error.

Is there any other place I can buy it. I want to get it asap, since my old card (ATI x1650) is performing badly with new games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Maplins and PC World both sell them..

Maplins and PC World both sell them..

TY. I was hoping to get online, but then I can just get off work early :)

I have a few lying around, you can have one FOC, pm your address and i'll root one out tomorrow

Thanks for your help. I got one after work yesterday.

Worked well.... After a fashion. It is REALLY important to use seperate power rails to supply the converter. Otherwise, I think the card doesnt get power and causes an video fail error (bios beeps).

And I had a panic also. My old card was worn out and didnt work when I reinserted it (so I could start up the pc to troubleshoot why the new card wasnt working online).

All in all, This card rocks. There are better, but i do not have room to fill two slots and this is the best option for only one slot :D

Also PogMoThoin, thanks for the offer :D

Advertisement