Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unreasonable customers

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I work in a dept store in Dublin and frequently deal with unreasonable customers. But the yoke your describing is just your run of the mill crazy. They pop up everywhere!You are well within your rights to call security the minute a customer becomes aggressive. She was not entitlted to compensation and you appear to have been remarkably restrained in dealing with her. I would have just told her from the off that i would not be offering her anything bar her full refund/exchange.

Having also worked in that particular department store I concur the place is a crazy magnet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

SDooM wrote: »
    Having also worked in that particular department store I concur the place is a crazy magnet. :)

Sounds like most of Henry ST

Having worked in retail for the guts of ten year's I've too many stories to post here.

Think the most memorable I've had was a customer, suggesting that "we could sort this by other matters" and implying quite a lot and some 5'3" woman threatening to kill me (she was actually quite scary- complete psycho). Funniest customer I remember was a middle ages lady -lets just say she wasn't the spiciest topping on the pizza- saying her phone wouldn't work; she'd had a arguement with her boyfriend and now he didn't seem to get any replies when she texted him, so she asked us to send him a message saying she loved him and wanted him back etc etc, at the end she asked will he write back this time. What can you say in a situation like that?

In fairness, I've had some really great customers over the years also, some of which I've had a really good laugh with.

I actually had a really great customer in the store this morning, she'd bought a giftcard in a local store, but there was a problem processing it, so they refunded her card. The problem is the refund takes a few days to go back on the card so when she went to buy the giftcard in our store, she didn't have enough in her back account anymore. I did what I could, called merchant services and put her through to her bank, but the bank wouldn't budge and while it wasn't directly my companies fault I fully expected (and wouldn't have blamed her for doing it) and good bo!!ocking from her. In the end she paid with her visa card and was unbelievably sound with me about the whole thing. So there are still a few diamonds out there!!
    Anyone if you end up reading this, you'll know who you are, so thanks a lot for being so sound, believe me it was appreciated.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Gillo wrote: »
    Sounds like most of Henry ST

Having worked in retail for the guts of ten year's I've too many stories to post here.

Think the most memorable I've had was a customer, suggesting that "we could sort this by other matters" and implying quite a lot and some 5'3" woman threatening to kill me (she was actually quite scary- complete psycho). Funniest customer I remember was a middle ages lady -lets just say she wasn't the spiciest topping on the pizza- saying her phone wouldn't work; she'd had a arguement with her boyfriend and now he didn't seem to get any replies when she texted him, so she asked us to send him a message saying she loved him and wanted him back etc etc, at the end she asked will he write back this time. What can you say in a situation like that?

In fairness, I've had some really great customers over the years also, some of which I've had a really good laugh with.

I actually had a really great customer in the store this morning, she'd bought a giftcard in a local store, but there was a problem processing it, so they refunded her card. The problem is the refund takes a few days to go back on the card so when she went to buy the giftcard in our store, she didn't have enough in her back account anymore. I did what I could, called merchant services and put her through to her bank, but the bank wouldn't budge and while it wasn't directly my companies fault I fully expected (and wouldn't have blamed her for doing it) and good bo!!ocking from her. In the end she paid with her visa card and was unbelievably sound with me about the whole thing. So there are still a few diamonds out there!!
    Anyone if you end up reading this, you'll know who you are, so thanks a lot for being so sound, believe me it was appreciated.

It's not a million miles away from Henry St. :)

I worked on Mary St. Sweet Jeebus. I got a death threat for not exchanging a duvet with a cigarette burn straight through it.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ive worked in retail all my working life, and my favourite one was with jewellery coming back in totally mangled, like the dog ate it, and theyd say it was like that when they opened the box. And expect a refund. Its very hard to deal with people who come in telling barefaced lies and refusing to back down.

Ive changed trades since, and dont get that many irate customers anymore, thank god, maybe were just quite good, or maybe we appear too threatening to complain to. :D Mostly though I find people are ok with you, if you are being fair with them. Perhaps the bike trade escapes the retail nutters.

I did have one guy years ago who picked me up by the waist, spun me around a few times, and told me he was taking me home to live with him. One of the scariest customers I ever experienced.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Oryx wrote: »
    I did have one guy years ago who picked me up by the waist, spun me around a few times, and told me he was taking me home to live with him. One of the scariest customers I ever experienced.:)

What on earth was being sold in that store?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

ejmaztec wrote: »
    What on earth was being sold in that store?:confused:
    Ha. All quite above board, I promise ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

marti101 wrote: »
    What i usually say is that it could be your daughter/brother working here and you wouldnt like them to be subjected to this abuse.

Does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

At the moment I'm rather miffed at the ammount of Spanish kids who come into shops and assume that you speak Spanish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

pithater1 wrote: »
    At the moment I'm rather miffed at the ammount of Spanish kids who come into shops and assume that you speak Spanish
    the again look at the many english speakers that go to spain and other non-english native countries and assume they speak english :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

axer wrote: »
    the again look at the many english speakers that go to spain and other non-english native countries and assume they speak english :confused:

that is true I suppose. sure if i'm feeling a bit annoyed with them I always have the option of replying as gaelige :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

that's not really a fair comparison tbh. english is the language of business. no matter what country you go to in the world, the chances are most people you speak to will have some level of english, in the cities anyway. the whole reason they're here is to learn english because you can go anywhere in the world and find an english speaker

never in my life have i been in a situation where speaking spanish would have been handy, even though i've been to spain 6 times and i'm sure the same could be said of the vast majority of the people in this country.

most people in this country can barely string a few words of irish together and we all learned it for 13 (or more) years. i really don't know where these kids would get the idea that we might speak spanish :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    that's not really a fair comparison tbh. english is the language of business. no matter what country you go to in the world, the chances are most people you speak to will have some level of english, in the cities anyway. the whole reason they're here is to learn english because you can go anywhere in the world and find an english speaker

never in my life have i been in a situation where speaking spanish would have been handy, even though i've been to spain 6 times and i'm sure the same could be said of the vast majority of the people in this country.

most people in this country can barely string a few words of irish together and we all learned it for 13 (or more) years. i really don't know where these kids would get the idea that we might speak spanish :confused:
    Is that a reflection on us or them? Who says english is the language of business? the USA? the UK? According to here 309-400 millon have english as their first language and according to here 322-400 millon have spanish as their first language. If its ok to assume one way then why would it be much of a big deal to assume the other way. Double standards anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Is that a reflection on us or them? Who says english is the language of business? the USA? the UK? According to here 309-400 millon have english as their first language and according to here 322-400 millon have spanish as their first language. If its ok to assume one way then why would it be much of a big deal to assume the other way. Double standards anyone?

Because english is the most wide spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It's a simple psychological fact that someone will be less inclined to go off on one if they can see their own reflection in a mirror behind you at the counter.

Pubs have using that particular technique for years.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Because english is the most wide spread.

ah isn't Chinese the most widely spoken language in the world though? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

i was an unreasonable customer once. on the phone to a bank manager. rang back and apologised afterwards.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

i was an unreasonable customer once. on the phone to a bank manager. rang back and apologised afterwards.

I once spoke to a customer many years back who flat out refused to troubleshoot his issue, spent 40min arguing with the muppet until he hung up and then called back...guess what he got me :)

So repeat of first call and eventually got one of the other lads to deal with him, 5min unto this lads call the issue was resolved by doing the first thing I requested the customer to do.

Fair fecks to the customer he actually called back and apologized for being a bollox on the phone to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Sam Vimes wrote: »

I think around 80 million Germans would disagree.

If i was a foreigner though, i'd be totally confused as to why some stuff was in Irish, English and Polish ... maybe they do speak spanish !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Cabaal wrote: »
    ah isn't Chinese the most widely spoken language in the world though? :)

A lot of people who speak a dialect of Chinese also speak English.

i'm going to hazard a guess here. The figures aren't going to be accurate but you'll get the point. Percentage of people in spanish speaking countries who have at least basic english:60%-70%, and pretty much 100% in major cities. Percentage of people in ireland with a basic level of spanish: maybe 5% and that's a generous estimate. I don't think it was even available as a subject in my school.

that's why its ok to assume. In most counties in the world english is a required subject throughout school. The same can't be said of any other language

• Advertisement

craichoe wrote: »
    I think around 80 million Germans would disagree.

If i was a foreigner though, i'd be totally confused as to why some stuff was in Irish, English and Polish ... maybe they do speak spanish !

i'm sure there are many people in germany who don't speak much english but i travelled across it for three weeks and i didn't meet any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Hi All.

My 'best' 'worst' customer:

Customer came into shop, went to cashier and offered the cashier an empty bluetooth headset box, and said - I have just bought this (from another shop), and now do not have anymore money, can you lend me €20 from the till to make my purchases with, and I will drop the €20 back with you tomorrow.
    The cashier called me, the manager. I told the customer that I could not lend them money from the till, as it was not my money, but the companies money. The customer went on about being a regular, and buys all their stuff from us, etc. I asked the customer if they knew me, to which they replied - No.

The conversation went on for more than an hour, with the customer calling our HO, my boss calling me and so on. I was accused of 'bad customer service'.

TBH, even when I think about it now, I do not understand this customer. How can you expect me to lend you money when I don't know you???:confused::confused:
    And your phone number and car reg are no good to me.

You do get some strange people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

P.C. that is a classic.

When I was at school years ago I worked on the provisions/deli counter at a Supermarket. Good laugh actually and all the ham and cheese I could eat. There was one slightly bonkers customer who would come in without fail every week and buy some bacon. When we bagged it up she would then say "I'm not going to pay for it as I have a complaint about the bacon I bought last week". So we'd ask where it was and she'd reply "Well I ate it but I didn't enjoy it". Every week it got escalated to my supervisor for a lively 30 minute discussion and as far as I know she never got any free bacon.

Also I remember being in a shoe shop in Manchester one saturday when some bozo brought some shoes back that "hadn't been worn, honest, I just changed my mind". When the assistant took them out of the box they looked like they had run a marathon in them.

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

SDooM wrote: »

Well seeing as another member of our family has worked in a Dept store far nearer to Henry St,we have it on good authority that it's all dept stores that are crazy magnets!!!:D

Advertisement