Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryan of the Wind

Options
  • 08-07-2008 11:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Off he goes to Scotland yesterday and announces

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0708/1215380381015.html
    “It is imperative that we develop an effective grid system that will allow us to work in partnership.”

Well that would cost billions even if it were not a utopian pipedream by Ryan.

The grid needs to be built from where the wind is to where the demand is.

Thats Europe which is not in the same direction as Scotland .last time I looked . He should buy a shaggin map instead of wasting carbon junketing around the place .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moved IrelandOffline > Politics

Wasn't sure where to put this, but here seemed best. Feel free to move, if not!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Off he goes to Scotland yesterday and announces

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0708/1215380381015.html

The grid needs to be built from where the wind is to where the demand is.

Thats Europe which is not in the same direction as Scotland .last time I looked . He should buy a shaggin map instead of wasting carbon junketing around the place .

How do you know it will cost billions? Is that billions more than what we spend on coal, oil and peat as it stands now (and what they will cost in the future).

They're going to do a feasability study. I'd wait until I see the results if I were you, before you write it off.

We got huge potential for wave and wind energy, I'm glad to see someone actually trying to do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

baztard wrote: »
    How do you know it will cost billions? Is that billions more than what we spend on coal, oil and peat as it stands now (and what they will cost in the future).

They're going to do a feasability study. I'd wait until I see the results if I were you, before you write it off.

We got huge potential for wave and wind energy, I'm glad to see someone actually trying to do something about it.

+1.

There are certainly some issues around the efficiency of wind power generation (like when it's not windy!), but as a supplemental generation method, it's relatively cost effective and doesn't have any nasty by-products (some will say noise and visual pollution but... meh!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Sponge Bob wrote: »

You have to read between the lines. This is the first stage in the foundation of a united Celtic Periphery Federal State ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

turgon wrote: »
    You have to read between the lines. This is the first stage in the foundation of a united Celtic Periphery Federal State ;).

Concentration camps for those without ginger hair/freckles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Does the wind blow in Ireland at the exact same time as it does in Scotland?

Seeing as the Irish network is connected to the Northern network which is connected to the Scottish network ................. Kazahkstan, we are already connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Pretty much, yes.

There was a study recently. Wind on most of Western Europe blows at about the same time. You can get 5 day periods, especially in winter with no wind at all and lower temperatures over Ireland and most of Europe. Occasionally these highs can last 10 days.

A huge amount of Wind power can't reliably do more than 5%. Tidal is reliable but limited. Wave power very expensive.

There is value in Electricity interconnectors, but not between Ireland & Scotland for Wind. That would already be well known.

We need to use less energy (forget unplugging chargers and banning filments/changing to CFL lamps, that's pointless), as in better public transport, practically ban SUV/Fuel hogs except for people that need to drive over mountains without roads, more efficent washing machines, dishwashers, tumble driers, freezers etc. No electric heating as up to 1/3rd is wasted in distribution.

Reduce use of processed foods. (doubles energy consumption).

Better insulation. Change the building regs NOW and levy penalty tax from those builders who have not been doing insulation of walls & attics the last 10 years.

Forget stupid €350 surveys and wood pellet stoves.

1) Have you any loft /attic insulation?
    2) Are you walls insulated? (if built by XXX or before 19nn = no)
    3) Double glazed?
    4) Hot tank jacket?

Invest more in Fusion research and also in cleaning coal/sequestering gasses from it.

Reuse rather than recycle. Recycle glass or paper needs nearly as much energy as new glass. We arn't going to run out of commercial softwood in Finland or sand for Glass.

Reusable glass bottles /jars rather than disposable plastic. Austria does it. When I was a kid we did it for Milk, coke, 7up, and big lemonade bottles.

Ban biofuels, except those made from food waste (i.e. the leafs of potatoe, banana, sugar cane etc..)

Scrap tolls (that waste fuel and money in collection). Simply increase fuel tax.

Encourage Teleworking to save energy hungry transport and office space. Invest in BB and make then part of home costs automatic to tax deduct for PAYE

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Watty gives as good a synopsis of the current dark situation as you`ll read anywhere.
    Problem is Watty isnt in charge of Energy policy or Public Transport policy or any policy,more`s the pity.

Working in public transport I am despondent to see what our current Minister and Department of Transport are playing around at.

Instead of recognising the fact that the price of crude oil ain`t ever going to go below $100 a barrel again and moving rapidly to support and expand low-cost comprehensive Public Transport our Man in Transport sez he`s not sure that Dublin Bus requires any fleet expansion and he want`s more studies to assist him in his deliberations.

There are so many areas where relatively minor alterations would achieve great results,but as these areas are not multi-billion projects they don`t rate a mention.

The Dail Committee on Transport has been the one shining light in trying to get answers from Department of Transport and Local Administrators as to why our off-peak public transport is so bad.....?
    The Committee is having a hard time getting answers to this simple question as nobody appears to have considered anything other than peak time travel in all the calculations.

The obscene reality however,is of buses caught up in congested suburbs unable to get around parked 3/4 tonne SUV`s delivering tiny infants to creche`s and playgroups.
    The wisdom of allowing unrestricted use of SUV`s derived from Military and Agricultural vehicles to bump and groan around Irelands suburbia whilst Public Buses trawl around empty is highly questionable.

Plenty of Cheap,reliable,clean Public Transport with commensurate disincentives for Mad Max style private transport would be a step in the right direction ? :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement