Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gave up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

I know what your saying man but I just wanna smoke and i got a hankerin for a fat one. It's fcuked up I know but sure what can ya do and more to the point I aint payin the rediculous prices that are being asked..,.. unless im getting offered a price that's half decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Well bud im five months off them and it does get a lot easier I know it doesnt feel like it but it does.

One day at a time.

Good luck.

Hey martin
    Were you with the 7th in the 90's?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭dubgirl15

The Gall,

First well done!! it really helped me reading all your posts.How long did it take for your sleeping to go back to normal??

hey dubgirl15

Cheers for the support
    as for the weird dreams
    There not so frequent now but they were near every night for two weeks around week 5(I think) and I thought I was going insane I might add, I think the diet has a lot to do with it.
    You may want to cut down on your cheese/dairy products, I found that helped.
    Maybe if you wrote down what you were dreaming, probably wont help but it'll give you something to think about.

Good luck in your quest for freedom.
    the Gall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

the GALL wrote: »
    Hey martin
    Were you with the 7th in the 90's?

In the what??????????

In the what??????????
    forget it martin
    If you were you'd know what I was on about

Secret squirrell and all that;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭gstar

Day 26 of freedom for me and I just made it through my first booze up last night. Still went out with the smokers for the social-ness of it, as I really felt like it was going to be missing out on something, didn't mind them smoking around me at all. thought going for beers would be a lot harder, but I feel envigorated by it now. AND the best part of all is that I only have half the hangover I would have had were I smoking :D ... happy days indeed

Well done gstar! Im on day 4 myself!!

Thanks dubgirl & keep up the good work yourself, you'll be out of the danger-zone in no time :) It definitely gets easier and it is so worth the bit of hard work at the start ...

• Advertisement

dubgirl15,
    you the man
    are you putting all your smoke money away in your jar?, after 3 months you'll have the money saved for a two week hoilday next year in lanzarote or where ever
    the money
    the looks
    the lungs
    the health
    keep it going your doing super

Gstar well done
    how is your sleeping paterns,
    have the dreams kicked in,
    hows the wallet? getting fatter I hope I was €7.50 a day man,did you see the pergola I built and tomorrows purchase is a set of golf clubs. Can't wait it's one of those things I said I'd love to have so now that I have the money I may as well

well done again the pair of you

crazy dreams last night
    I dreamt I was smoking and it felt great
    but I woke up this morning coughing my guts up
    weird or what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭DinnyBatman

Seriously well done to Gall, dubgirl, gstar etc.
    I have been smoking for 25 years (I'm 40 now), and I have tried on numerous occasions to give up. The longest was approx 1 month and I put on nearly two stone!
    After reading The Galls post however, I'm gonna give it another go. It is bloody refreshing to hear an honest report on giving them up. It really annoys me when I hear of these smug bastids saying "I gave them up - no problem".
    Wish me luck - I'll need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Good luck Dinny - I'm in a similar boat 40 next year and been smoking since I was 14 - numerous attempts at giving up and all failed - but have tried again and am now 3 days smoke free ... hav'n't had more than 2 hrs sleeep but I do feel like this may be the time when I will stay off them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

really enjoyed reading it...im on week three now...feeling pretty strong, even had a few piss-ups on the way....

fellin top of the world..

the gall, you are an inspiration!

froosh69 wrote: »
    really enjoyed reading it...im on week three now...feeling pretty strong, even had a few piss-ups on the way....

fellin top of the world..

the gall, you are an inspiration!
    good job,
    I find I draw energy from the encouragement I get from anon posters so ill say well done to you and give some of that energy back
    Keep up the good work and dont let your guard down:)

hey Dinny, Shanel
    how you guy's doing today?
    Just reading over some post's and havn't heard any follow up. Still hanging in there I hope's

"Hi shanel! You quit 1 week, 2 days, 19 hours, 13 minutes & 35 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 196 cigs, saved EUR 75 and added 16.33 hours to your life." - stopsmoking.ie

Not doing too bad .. Still have not been to a pub and to be honest I'm dreading that - but I'm going to have to face it as I can't give that up :)

Just wish the insomnia would fade a bit - still very restless and constantly waking up at 3 AM and then no sleep till 7 when I get up. Still though feel great that I'm not smoking and already the health is way better :):D

shanel dont worry about the insomnia it will go. I found i started sleeping better after two weeks. Try going for a walk before bed, you could also try a few drops of lavender on your pillow.

the GALL wrote: »
    Gstar well done
    how is your sleeping paterns,
    have the dreams kicked in,
    hows the wallet? getting fatter I hope I was €7.50 a day man,did you see the pergola I built and tomorrows purchase is a set of golf clubs. Can't wait it's one of those things I said I'd love to have so now that I have the money I may as well

well done again the pair of you

thanks the Gall,
    Still hanging in there :) hankering for a spliff does be killing me still though. I got a little ahead of myself on the money saving aspect and bought myself a ps3. Still I am getting far more enjoyment out of that than I would've out of my 20 fags a day.... :rolleyes: The next thing on the list is a new HDTV... :D
    and i am so glad i gave up now with the prospect of fags going up to 9.50 a box! what a waste of hard earned euros ...!!!

• Advertisement

dubgirl15 wrote: »
    shanel dont worry about the insomnia it will go. I found i started sleeping better after two weeks. Try going for a walk before bed, you could also try a few drops of lavender on your pillow.

I'll give it a go tonight

Hey G star
    we could be twins:D:D

Well - made it to the pub last night and went through the whole night without a smoke - man it was hard at times and boy did I drink a lot more than normal... but I woke this morning with a heavy head but still chuffed and delighted that I did'nt smoke :D .

It feels bloody great .

well done
    It's a good feelin when you put yourself to the test and pass.
    Have you been around smokers and the smell, it near turns my stomach.
    I find the hangover's aint all that bad even though im drinking more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Hey the GALL, great reading through your thread, getting ready to stop myself, great to see how you have changed since post #1, much respect!!!

Keep it up:D

Cheers whacker
    have you stepped over the line yet?
    That slippery slope to freedom:D:D

Just an update
    Nearly had a relapse last night
    Had a bit of a barny with the better half
    If i'd a had 60 i'd have smoked the lot
    But I didn't and felt good this morning.
    It's still there just when you think your out and free it tries to drag you back in again
    Anyway life is still good
    Hope yerall still on the wagon
    the Gall

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭keithm1

well done to all of you
    and this is a smashing thread
    good man yerself gall

Well - still off them - it's 3 weeks 4 days now and am feeling better and better each day - was over in Germany this week and was with a group of people who smoked and I was quite content to stay in their company and did'nt have any desire to light up - so I believe it does get easier - for sure there are some tough moments but it does get easier with time !

Accoriding to the stopsmoking.ie site I've saved over €200 and added 1.76 days to my life - not too sure what I'll do with the 1.76 days just yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

hows everyone doin?

• Advertisement

Im six weeks off them today! Cant believe it. This is the longest ever. I still get cravings but have not given im.

Advertisement