Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gave up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Well done Dubgirl - keep it up - I'm over 5 weeks myself and yes I get the odd craving but a few deep breadths and I'm OK again. Looking forward to when I can say I gave em up last year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

how's everyone doing today?
    all hangin in there?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

6 months off them now, don't miss them at all, no problem being around smokers, even go out to the smoking area some times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Im five weeks today, tomorrow I begin my sixth week. But tbh, I stopped counting. Ive just accepted that I dont smoke now.

I had a bad day 2 days ago, all the time my chest was so heavy, I kept craving but then I realised that the stress that I was fweeling was not going to go away from one little stick of tobacco, in fact, it is not even a classified 'stress reliever' so, I just had a little scream in the car and went to bed early.

Quitters - After a walk, a slice of lemon in warm water is lovely.Last night on my walk I was able to jog and I could feel how lovely it was to have all that air in my lungs. Getting back to normal!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Ruthie-Roux

Im off them five weeks and the weird dreams have stared to kick in. Not every night, but frequently enough-I`ll have a dream that I am with smokers and before I know what Im doing I put a cigarette to my lips and inhale and then relalise that Im smoking and it`s like (eerrie slow motion)"nooooooooo!" Then I wake up with this horrible feeling that maybe it wasnt a dream and I really did smoke.

Maybe its just that Ive gone so long now that Im terrified of caving and smoking now. Its actually hilarious when you look at it: nightmares about having a fag.

And I had a really scary dream last night that one of my friends had gone insane and was trying to kill me. I woke up in a cold sweat. Weird

Ruth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

Im off the devil sticks 13mths now & i gotta be honest i still get those bloody cravings ,i dont think it ever leaves you:mad::mad::mad: but each day at a time people..

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭froosh69

this thread been quiet for a while...hows everyone gettin on?

Hi the Gall! You quit 4 months, 4 weeks, 1 day, 7 hours, 5 minutes & 55 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 2,723 cigs, saved EUR 1,021 and added 1.34 weeks to your life

Check that out,
    Ive been quiet on the tread because I've been bursting with excitement,My wife is pregnant, can you believe it? me neither, and it's been killing me not to say anything.I quiet the Job in the old folks home (I dont think it was doing anything for my head) and decided to go to collage, to study for a career in IT.

Im only delighted with myself for deciding to quit when I did, It seems that everything I've planned in the last couple of years is all falling into place.I dont know if this thread should be kept going (maybe ill be showing the kid this in a few years) Mod do what you will, if it's kept going well and good.

To all who have posted here with words of encouragement I thank you wholeheartedly,
    To those who are in the process of quitting I wish you luck in your quest and hope you do succeed, DON'T let your guard down, STAY focused, and take each min, hour, day, week as they come.

Thanks Guys
    All the best
    the Gall

and just to fill in the blanks.....
    the Gall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Fair ****ing play to you.

Looking at the picture htere, I'd say that you haven't felt fresh air like you felt there in a long time. Not how you look. I'm talking about where you are and the fact that smoking makes you avoid such places because they tend to leave you out of breath due to the walking involved.

Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

I was off the fags for nearly 10 months using champix to get off them.Due to some stress moving house ,kids ,school etc yada yada.....last monday I bought 20 johnny blue and smoked the whole box with a few beers.Now let me tell you what that feels likethe next day ---like your about to DIE:( I mean really bad ,and the phlem came back straight away worse than ever I was sick for 2 days:(.Wednesday went to the doctor and got 1 month of champix to make sure that doesn't happen again!! definetly do not want to smoke again ,but goes to show if your stressed enough it can happen easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Well done chief.

Myself and wifey quit back in May. It was the third attempt for me (third time lucky), and about the fifth for her (as she'd quit while pregnant, as well as a couple of other attempts).

I knew after a couple of hours, that this time was for keeps, because for the first time in my long history of smoking (fifteen years or so) I actually *wanted* to stop, rather than just having the vague notion in the back of my head that smoking was bad mmmkay, and that I should call a halt.

The reason it all kicked off was, I was trying to lose a few pounds, and decided to pull out the bike and go cycling. A mile later, I'd stopped three times, and puked once :(

Enough was enough, the fags were tossed on the fire, and the fitness drive kicked off. My experiences here should give the lie to the myth that quitting smoking necessarily puts on weight, because I lost the bones of two stone in fat in the following months. (I have put a few pounds up of late, nothing hectic, but outdoor pursuits are difficult in this weather, and I can crack on again in the new year).

The best part is, no cravings to speak of, they do get rarer, day by day, until you can go weeks without one. This may seem impossible to someone who has just given up, but I can assure you that that is what awaits when you stick to your guns.

Good luck to theGall, and all of you.

(Btw tG, my wife was in the 4th).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

these posts have got to be the most honest view to not smoking i have ever read, am allways trying to stop , have been for years and years, but will put a serious effort this time as really everyone seems to be genuinely happy to have stopped, oh btw is it good to have a date to stop like jan the first, or is that just my fooked up attitude trying to yet again prolong the so called dreaded day... heres hoping the gall is still going strong and sure well you never know he might be the very reason so many more will make the effort, jeasus he,ll be famous now like the x factor winners ..lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Still off them Gall? Hope all is going well with you and your wife. :)

yea life is good
    Thanks for askin
    Im still off them ...whats it now seven months
    I feel great and confident (the confidence grows day by day) around smokers that I wont slip up, in fact the smell of smoke near makes me sick (I dont say it to smokers, Its none of my business what some one else does) do you smoke yourself? or were you an ex-smoker?
    Me and the wifey are doing grand getting ready for our suprise in june...we went for a scan last week ...speechless is not the word, Im gobsmacked, at the moment im drawing up plans for a redesign of the garden and painting rooms and buying baby stuff so it a v.exciting time for us we're just back from the north today (If your planin on going shopping go to the north youll save a ball) and bought all the basics. My wife is v.happy with the pregnancy, she's at the glowing stage and she looks the business.:D:D:D:D
    Thanks again for askin
    the Gall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Hi.

Off them one week today and i must say it was much easier than i thought. Even got over the weekend parties without too much hassle.

Some things i've noticed.

1. When i wake up i don't think of cigarettes first time
    2. I can drink coffee without having a cigarette.
    3. I feel full of energy.
    4. I have a huge appetite again. (Which is good because im a skinny bastard!!)
    5. I can climb the stairs to my appartment much easier.
    6. I feel lighter.
    7. I feel stronger. I am in control of my mind<----POWER!!
    8. My breath and clothes smell better.

For me nb. 7 is the main thing i am happy about. Not to be controlled by something!!

hey togster
    How ya gettin on?
    still hangin in there I hopes,
    Don't get complacement that's when the trouble starts

the GALL wrote: »
    hey togster
    How ya gettin on?
    still hangin in there I hopes,
    Don't get complacement that's when the trouble starts

yea happened me, NO EXCUSE, not for a next time anyway..:P

Hi the Gall! You quit 7 months, 4 weeks, 1 hour, 1 minute & 36 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 4,338 cigs, saved EUR 1,768 and added 2.14 weeks to your life.

and life is good
    D-Day 22 june:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Hi Gall congrats on quitting the smokes & helping to create the bump! How did you do it cold turkey? I'm using Champix, 7 weeks this sunday, delighted with my self. Where do you go to get that counter of how many you have not smoked & how much money you've saved etc? Would you post a link here please?

• Advertisement

Cold turkey was the way for me
    It wasn't easy but it is worth it
    the benifits far outway the withdrawl
    a few times I was close to going back on them, it's not just the gummin feeling to put up with, the mood swings, the boardom, the burst of fresh air, the lightheadedness, there all strange feelings that you have to get used to again and the ball of money you have left over at the end of the month trying to find out what to do with it thats the killer(ha,ha) but seriously when it gets hard stop and think about the benifits you'll be allright ....Ill try and find that address for you
    Keep a diary of how it goes for you it may help you, It did me.
    Good luck in the given up.
    the Gall

http://www.stopsmoking.ie/
    stick in your details and away you go
    Good Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Thanks Gall I have a thread going called Champix/Chantix aka Varenicline & it's helped no end to have the support it has generated over the past........see below :D

Hi Pout! You quit 1 month, 2 weeks, 6 days, 3 hours, 9 minutes & 12 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 962 cigs, saved EUR 409 and added 3.34 days to your life.

Thanks again I know my pals will all appreciate the little counter thing. cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Hi T! You quit 1 month, 1 day, 7 hours, 26 minutes & 27 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 703 cigs, saved EUR 299 and added 2.44 days to your life.

Hi Gall, just thought I'd pop in for a visit. Good to see all is well with you. I fell off the wagon a while ago but back with the plan now. I ran the Ballycotton 10 mile yesterday and did it under 100 minutes, only because I stopped smoking the cigs, its an amazing feeling to know the only reason I managed it was coz I stopped. Thats one lump of motivation for me:D

Hi the Gall! You quit 11 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 4 hours, 2 minutes & 48 seconds ago. You have *not* smoked 6,088 cigs, saved EUR 2,588 and added 3.00 weeks to your life.

just a quick update,
    My wife had a baby girl last monday,
    Katie 8lbs4oz,
    Im glad I gave up the smokes, and I can see exactly where the 2,500 went to
    life is good:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

Awwww! congratulations on the new babs, and fair play to you for being a non smoker.

haven't met you here before,
    Thanks for the kind words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Today is my 1st day off them.

Main reason was initially financially as the recession etc as I was planning on giving up for a week. I started what I thought was heart pains and I started frieking out and nearly fainted in a shopping centre in Krakow. Pain lasted an hour and my breathing was really bad.

On the patches, I gave up before for a year and a half and ended back on them having a stupid cigarette at a party.

I really hope it will work this time. I'm going to go all out and set up a fitness programme. I used to have an 8 pack and now have a beer belly, very sad! So if I go running and stuff and use the money I save on buying more food and go all healthy I think it will help me stay focused.

Congrats is in order for the new kid and happy to see you still off the ciggies

love this thread by the gall, reading it makes me want to stick with it . thanks

• Advertisement

over two years now and life is good

Advertisement