Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What reminds you of ex's?

Options
  • 08-07-2008 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭

Well it wouldn't be taken seriously in the BRGH forum...

For me, it's songs.
    They're usually songs I damn well adore but then somehow I associate them with the ex and more or less can't listen to them.

Hallelujah (jeff buckley version) can't listen to cos the particular ex used to sing it to me. Awesome song but well just can't listen to it.
    Another one is a dance song, slam by pendulum.

Anywho what reminds you of ex's? Places? Songs? Food? o.0 Perfume, cologne?

Comments

Perfume sometimes.

Songs sometimes.

Depends really. I try not to reminisce too much!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Wilburt wrote: »
    Hallelujah (jeff buckley version) can't listen to cos the particular ex used to sing it to me

Listen to the Leonard Cohen version instead then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Harhar, well any version of the song reminds me of her. *sobs* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Radio by the Corrs - it was out when I was going with an ex - still can't hear it and not think of him.........

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

There isnt anything I cant listen to anymore because of an ex but November Rain brings back some memories.

:o:o:o Shame and embarrassment alert- 2 becomes 1 by The Spicegirls brings back memories of my boyf when I was 16:o:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

There used to be certain songs that I just couldn't listen to, one in particular that almost brought me to tears any time I heard it but I've learned to turn that all around and associate those songs with my now boyfriend or with friends etc, it's a great feeling now to hear those songs and not feel sad anymore.

Wilburt maybe you can try and do that? Try to associate those songs with someone new or friends or just listen to it over and over and over again until you can bear hearing it again without thinking of your ex.

Other things would be perfume (that I wore obviously, not them!), bars, places, certain sports teams....in general nothing really anymore though, like I said I've turned it around and if those thoughts come in to my head I just try to think happy thoughts :)

Will give it a lash, cheers Clare Bear.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

freddie kruger:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

CNN news. I went out with a cnn reporter for a few months. Apart from that nothing really. I tend not to try and look back too many things to look forward too. :D

Not trying to steal your thread but does anyone feel anything when they remember their ex's? I don't, if someone mentions one it just goes into my head I feel nothing good or bad and the name is gone in a split second.

Some I feel nothing about. Others I feel angry about, which I shouldn't. However, it's human nature.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maclad

Flo rida-low she never stopped playing it in the car drove me mad...but now:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Not trying to steal your thread but does anyone feel anything when they remember their ex's? I don't, if someone mentions one it just goes into my head I feel nothing good or bad and the name is gone in a split second.

Not anymore and it's great! Took me 2 years to get over the love of my life and the day I moved from the town we both lived in a few months ago I saw him and his girlfriend (she's a model so I can't say that was nice to see the first time I saw her!!! Talk about a kick in the female goolies!), hadn't physically seen him in about a year and I felt nothing. BEST FEELING IN THE WORLD!!! :D

I suppose if I heard any of them were engaged etc it might hurt for a second but I don't long to be with any of them and I'm more than happy with where I am in my life so it wouldn't bother me. If anything lucky escape! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

songs and their aftershave and my own perfume always! The entire Once soundtrack is rocky ground as well as a few random songs that just remind me of some form of rage. Shame really! Perfumes also, reminds me of that deeply sad feeling when you've just broken up with someone...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I have only one ex and I'm glad to say almost nothing reminds me of her.

Well, one thing: the perfume Poison. I allow myself a sadistic smile of distaste whenever I smell its odour. Never was there a more aptly named perfume.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Looby_Loo

Dont really feel anything unless one is bugging me (which he is right now :mad:) I still see them both a lot though as friends

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Haven't really had many serious girlfriends but a good few not-so-serious ones.

One I'm reminded of by the fact that I'm still really good friends with the mmutual friend who introduced us.

Another girl that I wasn't ever really going out with, just meeting, I'm reminded of by the Spraoi festival down in Waterford because that's where I firts met her and we hit it off in a huge way.

The first one is engaged and building a house. The second's had a baby and is with the guy. I bear nothing but good feeling towards them both.

Thankfully never had my heart broken in a big way. There are a few missed opportunities that I occasionally get reminded of though. Generally a song or a particular time of year that does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

songs mostly for me. there's one that reminds me of when me and my fella broke up (we've since gotten back together etc etc), but i still can't listen to it. and ive warned him that we can actually never break up, cos he'll ruin so much of my favourite music for me!

of other exes, a tv show reminds me of one (pure disgust and anger on that front), and just about any grunge music for another, but i've nothing but fond memories of him, and just think it's a pity i lost a good friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

It's places for me. Cities we went to together but mainly restaurants that we ate at together. I made a point of going there with my current bf when we started going out to banish the memories and make new ones. The funny thing is that now when he pops in to my head (it's always at random times that I can't explain) I feel nothing, except feeling a little bit sorry for him (I really really won the break-up!). Time really does heal everything, even if at the time you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Some songs and places, I don't feel any bad feeling towards any of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Mostly songs, but then I listen to a lot of music so it's not really a surprise.

To be honest it can be anything though, a simple word can even trigger a major flashback for me, e.g. "sucker" reminds me of a lad I knew when I was about 6 as he'd been to the US and was explaining how that was what they called lollipops, "doat" reminds me of a close friend from a few years ago as the first day we hung out she called me that, I got offended as I'd not heard it before and thought she said "dolt":o, but thankfully she explained.
    Callista Flockheart reminds me of another friend as she has very similar ears and hair.
    There's a certain perfume that reminds me of another and the last time we saw each other.

It's weird the things you come to associate with people.:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

watna wrote: »
    It's places for me.
    Same here. Holidays shared and all that. Since I haven't gone out with an Irish woman since the early 90's, whole countries remind me of exes. :D Luckily my significant exes had musical tastes different to mine so even if I hear a song they liked it doesn't click with me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

right now absolutely bloody everything. its all too fresh (5 weeks).

lets see - certain songs, places we were together, anytime i see a car the same as his one (waaaay too many silver opel astras on the road), anytime i read or see anything about formula1, seeing top gear is on tv, certain food, when certain things come up in conversation.. God just EVERYTHING. how do you get someone out of your head?! :(

Johnathon Rhys Meyers.

Which sucks because I should be allowed to enjoy JRM in and off himself.

But I don't have bad feelings toward my ex, or any ex. So it could be worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

sar84 wrote: »
    how do you get someone out of your head?! :(
    It's a cliche but... time. And sometimes they never really do get completely out of there, but life goes on and you'll start to have fun again and you'll realise that life without him can be pretty good. Once that happens it's all gravy ;)

It tends to be quite specific things that remind me of exes - Ford Focus's for the last ex, Hawaii for the ex before that, and Cross pens for the one previous to him. Yup, kinda random.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

songs
    shared friends
    places
    shampoo
    certain jewelry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Anything by Tool, Metal Gear Solid, Manchester United and Lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Serious Ex No. 1 - Eastern Europe and Scandinavia (countries, people, languages, culture), Kopparberg and similar Sweet Ciders, Airlines, Finlandia vodka

Serious Ex No. 2 - Snow Patrol, Damien Rice, Terminal diseases, coughing, The midlands, Rocky bars, Chilli, Wraps

High associative memories are a curse. A curse I tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

frogs and snails and puppy dogs tails:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

well for me it would be norah jones can't listen to her anymore, dublin city, sunday bloody sunday by U2, Elvis a little less converstion a little more action song, can't listen to them anymore, 99 red suszki, the odean,

i basically go on and on. oh ya did i mention my ex is seeing my OH tonight (they mates before i got with my OH) and it eating into my time wiht him before he goes on business on sat for a week to the states so i'm livid:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

One of my favourite songs is from a band that my ex introduced me to. Not exactly helpful as I keep associating one with the other but who cares, I love them! Hate dwelling on things though, so even if I do think about him it tends to be nice thoughts as opposed to the "what a f*cking d*ckhead" thoughts that I used to have :)

Advertisement