Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barca block Ronaldinho from Olympics - WTF?

• 08-07-2008 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

Barca block Ronaldinho from Games

I presumed that the three over age players had to be released.

If Barca feel they can get away with this, why should other clubs release their players and risk them picking up injuries?
    Barcelona are refusing to allow Ronaldinho to play for Brazil at the Olympics despite considering him surplus to requirements at the club.

The 28-year-old was named in Brazil coach Dunga's squad for Beijing on Monday as one of three overage players.

"Ronaldinho has to report for training next Monday," read a club statement.

Real Madrid forward Robinho was named in the 18-man squad while Manchester United midfielder Anderson is one of three Premier League players selected.

The Olympics is the only significant title Brazil have never won and, subsequently, a number of star players have been called up for the football tournament which takes place at the games between 6-24 August.

Along with Anderson, Manchester City's new record signing Jo and Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva were also selected and will miss the start of the Premier League season.

The Olympics do not feature in the FIFA calendar and there are no special rulings on the issue, so the club is not obliged to release its players

Barcelona statement

Barcelona finished third in the league last season and have crucial Champions League third qualifying round ties on 12 and 27 August.

"The Olympics do not feature in the FIFA calendar and there are no special rulings on the issue, so the club is not obliged to release its players," said a statement released on the club's website on Tuesday.

"In recent weeks, sports director Txiki Begiristain has consistently stated that Barcelona's objective is to have the maximum number of players available for the Champions League qualifier."

Fellow Barcelona star Lionel Messi voiced his desire to represent Argentina in Beijing but the Catalan club has insisted they will only release the player if they are legally required to do so.

New coach Pep Guardiola has said that Ronaldinho does not feature in his plans but, though AC Milan and Manchester City have expressed interest in the playmaker, a deal has yet to be reached that satisfies all parties.

606: DEBATE
    Should players be allowed to represent their country?

The Brazilians won the Olympic silver medal twice, in 1984 in Los Angeles and 1988 in Seoul and they won the bronze in 1996 in Atlanta.

Brazil are in Group C with Belgium, China and New Zealand and begin their campaign on 8 August against Belgium.

Coach Dunga picked Fluminense defender Thiago Silva as the third player older than 23 in the squad, in addition to Ronaldinho and Robinho.

"The experience factor can be decisive in the Olympics," Dunga said.

"That's why several players born in 1985 were chosen, and even the youngsters already have international experience."

Goalkeepers: Diego Alves (Almeria), Renan (Internacional). Defenders: Ilsinho (Shakhtar Donetsk), Rafinha (Shalke), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Alex Silva (Sao Paulo), Breno (Bayern Munich), Thiago Silva (Fluminense).
    Midfielders: Anderson (Manchester United), Diego (Werder Bremen); Hernanes (Sao Paulo), Lucas (Liverpool), Ronaldinho (FC Barcelona), Thiago Neves (Fluminense).
    Forwards: Alexandre Pato (AC Milan), Jo (Manchester City), Rafael Sobis (Real Betis), Robinho (Real Madrid).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/football/7494600.stm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

AC Milan arent allowing Kaka to enter either afaik.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0519/kaka.html

****ing right tbh....wish Rafa would do the same with Mascherano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Yeah, too right indeed. Argentina and Brazil have amazing teams going.

think something along the lines of.....if under 23 and your club blocks your entry.....your are ineligable to play for your club over the duration of the tournament.

there was talk of Barca trying to block Messi as well a while ago, obviously they relented....mainly, i'd imagine because their season doesnt start till sep and argentinians are very patriotic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

There is a lot of money invested in them so clubs dont want to risk their injuries,logical,same with NBA clubs sometimes,although Barca maybe just want to make Ronaldinho more and more pissed coz his chances to stay in club incresing every day and i dont think thats what they want

Mr Alan wrote: »
    think something along the lines of.....if under 23 and your club blocks your entry.....your are ineligable to play for your club over the duration of the tournament.

there was talk of Barca trying to block Messi as well a while ago, obviously they relented....mainly, i'd imagine because their season doesnt start till sep and argentinians are very patriotic!

Lets hope Tevez isnt goin, but he's 24 AFIK so we're ok!

• Advertisement

Lets hope Tevez isnt goin, but he's 24 AFIK so we're ok!

he is over 23. would be shocked if Ferguson let him go-hardly famed for his being accomadating to internationals.

he is over 23. would be shocked if Ferguson let him go-hardly famed for his being accomadating to internationals.

LOL not a chance, not with Ronaldo, nani and Anderson out already But like u say Argies are VERY patriotic, could see him wantin to go!

They've announced the squads Neil, he aint in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

Tbh I don't blame Barca for not letting Gordinho go. They're trying to get rid of him so if he picked up a long term injury at the tournement, who would want him then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I wonder what sort of compensation deals are in place as regards picking up injuries? Is it similar to the international situation? Could be oceans of fun if a player picks up an injury that keeps them out for a season (bound to happen eventually)

Given the Olympics are meant to be for amatuers, i think the whole soccer tournament is a joke. The whole under 23 plus three overage players strikes me as something that has no real basis in any sort of logic and is inherently unfair. In effect it just randomly penalises whatever team has the overage players selected. Add in the fact that a team could also easily have a number of under 23 in their first team and you add to the effect of reandomly penalising teams. When you also consider that teams can get away with not releasing over-age players it strikes me as a farce. I know it's only every four years and for two weeks but its quite annoying. :mad:

I would much prefer if the Olympic soccer competition was only open to amatuer players. If FIFA had any sense they would have told the Olympics to take a running jump when they came up with the current format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

The IOC dropped the whole amateur requirement in all sports a few Olympics back so unlikely.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't want to hex the boy, but I can see Jô picking up a season-ender of an injury in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Lovely looking squad going without Ronaldinho even, Pato, Diego and Marcelo:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

given that it's been 4 years since the last olympics i can hardly remember. but have the big leagues been hit this hard by the olympics before? seems quite a fair few of the top clubs have a few going while others are untouched. there could be enough points dropped in the opening few games of the season to decide a season because of this methinks. not to mention most who are going are youngsters who now wont even get the opportunity for a preseason. it could be quite harmful to their potential development over the course of the season. considering the timing it's absolutely ridiculous tha FIFA sanction this imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

but its not a fifa tournament, how does that work?

Helix wrote: »
    but its not a fifa tournament, how does that work?

i think it may be recognised by FIFA as an official tournament...see below, near the bottom

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/documentlibrary/regulations.html

Advertisement