Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stopped at a checkpoint with Prov Licence and no L-plates

Options
  • 09-07-2008 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd let you all hear a story that's not a horror story about the gardai and the new laws.

I was just stopped at a checkpoint and did a breathaliser test. I have my first provisional and showed them that, no L-Plates and was driving unaccompanied. Passed the breath test and was told to submit my licence and cert of insurance to a garda station within 10 days. But they didn't take my name.

There were two gardai and One of them was making smart comments the whole time i was talking to the guy breathalising me. It seemed that they are willing to use some sense when implementing the new law or even the original one. Having said that I was driving a small car and am in my 30's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

They took your registration plate no doubt? why would they ask for you to submit your licence to the station if you had already showed it to them? doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I thought that, but they didn't look at the plate once and had no pen or notebook. I'd say it was just to scare me. ;) Anyway the cars registered to my wife. if they want to come loooking for me through her then it's time to run for the hills

Ah ok. So long as you're sure one of them didn't take it down when you weren't looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

dlofnep wrote: »
    Ah ok. So long as you're sure one of them didn't take it down when you weren't looking.

But observation is key in learning to drive isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭allybhoy

If I were you id still go down the station with your missus and present that insurance. Just because you didnt see them take your name etc doesnt mean they didnt. I was reading a few similar stories on here and lads didnt go to the station and they ended up getting banned for 6months for failing to produce insurance details etc.

• Advertisement

Aye yeah - I wouldn't risk it for a biscuit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maclad

Best be on the safe side and present yourself. The garda at the station won't know you were driving unaccompanied:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

If they asked you do present then present! You can't mess around with that.
    Sure everything is legit isn't it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

OP this forum does not advocate breaking the law, so posting your experience of being let off with not one, but two offences is not acceptable.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement