Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help a new rc heli user learn to fly

Options
  • 09-07-2008 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi I am at total noob to the RC Heli and am in the process of purchasing a Esky Honey Bee King 2 + flight sim and training pack adn a few spares. The problem is that I don't know anyone who has a heli. I live in Dublin and was hoping to drop out to the leinster club in the Phoenix Park some day to talk to a few heli users and maybe join the club but the Leinster site is down. So I don't know when they will be there next, can someone point me in the right direction?
    Could anyone tell me if there are any specific heli clubs out there or if anyone flys them in indoor halls in Dublin as I hear this is getting very popular with people taking up 3d flying.

Also any tips would be great I've done a bit of research on this heli and it seems to be fairly good for the budget I'm on and for a beginner and the parts are easy to get and cheap. The package is €340 But if you can tell me different please do.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

You are new to RC. However you are trying to get started with the most complex type of model.
    This is doing it the hard way. But it can be done with persistance. :)
    Can you fly planes yet? With a heli - you have to fly, as well as hover - two separate skills. It is easier to learn one at a time.
    Leinster is an outdoors club, but the model you mention is an indoors flier. So it will not be the place for assistance if you choose this model.
    Forget about 3D. Very few heli fliers ever get there.
    For most, mild aerobatics are terrifying enough! After a couple of years if you are still into it, 3D may become interesting.
    But for making decisions right now work on the knowledge that a 3D model heli is just about impossible to fly by learners.
    If you are in Dublin you can talk with Patrick at Green Hobby on 01 4928776. Patrick is an RC heli flyer and helpful.

Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 nas_matko

emmo16 wrote: »
    The package is €340 But if you can tell me different please do.

Try www.rc711.com or www.rchelicoptershop.com I got mine for about 180 USD including postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭emmo16

Thanks for the tips Coolwings. I have only flew trainer planes. I realise its mainy a indoor chopper and that why I was wondering if anyone over here flys them in sports halls. I heard a few in the leinster club fly in a sports hall in portmarnock.
    I hope to do alot of practice on the sim knowing of course its not the same. The reason I was hoping go up to the Leinster club was maybe to get a few tips. I would like to build up to a bigger outdoors chopper but the budget just aint there yet. I was in Green Hobby last week and they just got a similar heli in its exactly like the Trex but its just over my budget if I inc spares.
    Thanks nas_matko I had a look at those sites but this is the package I got with all the extras the fact that its 2.4ghz makes it a good deal. http://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/RC-Helicopters/Honey-Bee-King-2/p-70-528/

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

I wouldn’t worry about spending the extra for 2.4 GHz on the radio that’s included, as you will most likely need to upgrade your radio if/when you decide to upgrade to a better chopper.
    As Coolwings mentioned the heli is mainly an indoor type and wouldn’t really be built for 3D but is probably good for getting you started with the basics at a local indoor club/hall. With practice 3D flying can be achieved, iv seen many get there quite quickly, its all down to practice, a good bit of which can be done on the heli sim and then with a bit of confidence (and tweaking) transferred to the field.
    Start of with the basics an progress.
    LEVEL I
    1. Take-off
    2. Stationary Hover
    3. Hovering Laterally
    4. Multiple-level Hover
    5. 3/4 Rear View Hovering
    6. Full Lateral View Hovering
    7. Diagonal Hovering
    8. Circle Hovering ·Tail-in Circle ·Constant Heading Circle

LEVEL II
    1. Completed Level I
    2. Taxi Out
    3. Climb-Out
    4. 90 degree turns
    5. Flying Box
    6. 180 degree turns
    7. Straight and Level Flight
    8. Figure of Eight - Hovering - Constant Heading
    9. Figure of Eight - "Lazy 8"
    10. Figure of Eight - Flying
    11. Traffic Pattern Approach to landing
    12. Translational Descent
    13. Landing
    14. Beginning Aerobatics · Stall Turn · Inside Loop · Pirouette

LEVEL III

1. Completed all previous Levels
    2. Nose-In Hover
    3. Nose-In Circle
    4. Take-off from Nose-In
    5. Land from Nose-In Hover.
    6. Basic Aerobatics (Unusual Attitudes Training) · 540 Stall Turn · Horizontal Roll · Immelman Turn · 1/2 Cuban Eight · Loop with a Pirouette at the top · Flying Circle · Figure of Eight - Nose-In and Tail-In · Autorotation Landing

LEVEL IV
    2. Sustained Inverted flight
    3. Sustained Inverted Hover
    4. Inverted pirouettes
    5. Inverted Figure of Eight - Flying
    6. Stationary Rolls
    7. Autorotation 180 Degrees
    8. Advanced Aerobatics · Flips Forward · Flips Backward · Flips Laterally · Rolling Circle · Tumbles

LEVEL V
    2. Backward Flight straight
    3. Backward Figure of Eight – Flying
    4. Backward Flying Loops
    5. Backward Rolls
    6. Backward Inverted Flight
    7. Backward Inverted Figure of Eight – Flying
    8. Autorotation with Inverted Segment
    9. Advanced Aerobatics · Knife Edge Pirouette · Death Spiral

LEVEL VI
    2. Sideways Loop
    3. Sideways Roll
    4. Sideways Outside Loop
    5. Pirouetting Figure 8
    6. Inverted Pirouetting Figure 8

LEVEL VII
    2. Pirouetting Loop
    3. Pirouetting Roll
    4. Pirouetting Tumble
    5. Pirouetting Outside Loop
    6. Pirouetting Autorotation

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

esky radio hasn't got a very good reputation, I would just get the kit and get a futaba

maybe the 2.4ghz is better, I had the old 35mhz ones when I bought my HBK2, that was my first Heli as well, hover with in a week, now I'm flying Trex 450 and inverted hovering.
    many advise to start with fixed pitch, but I never had one. so its possible to start from the most complex types.

I went for Futbaba 2.4GHz as well, at the time I was looking to get the Esky but the one I had and most others I know were having problem with it.

just my 2cent

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the tips guys. Well I got my HBK2 last week and its all set up. I haven’t flown it yet as I’ve been practising on the flight sim (Realflight g4).
    I was hoping to go up to the phoenix park to try meet some of the guys from the Leinster club to see if they could help me out but I cant find any info of when they are there. I was told Sundays but didn’t see anyone there today.
    Is their anyone in the Dublin area that fly’s helis in the park or any other north side park that might be able to help me out if I was to bring mine along?? Just a bit of help to get started would be grea.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DennisZ

I was told Sundays but didn’t see anyone there today.

http://www.leinster-model-flyer.org/wordpress/?p=15

it was Monday - "today" :)

Thanks denis much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Hi I am at total noob to the RC Heli and am in the process of purchasing a Esky Honey Bee King 2 + flight sim and training pack adn a few spares. The problem is that I don't know anyone who has a heli. I live in Dublin and was hoping to drop out to the leinster club in the Phoenix Park some day to talk to a few heli users and maybe join the club but the Leinster site is down. So I don't know when they will be there next, can someone point me in the right direction?
    Could anyone tell me if there are any specific heli clubs out there or if anyone flys them in indoor halls in Dublin as I hear this is getting very popular with people taking up 3d flying.

Also any tips would be great I've done a bit of research on this heli and it seems to be fairly good for the budget I'm on and for a beginner and the parts are easy to get and cheap. The package is €340 But if you can tell me different please do.

Did you get flying, i have sent you a PM anyway

Advertisement