Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sako Quad - Good or Gimmick

Options
  • 09-07-2008 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭

The concept behind the Sako Quad has always interested me. I have never used one, or spoke to anyone who has so I'm not sure if they are any good or just a gimmick.
    Hopefully somebody here has one, or has decent expierence of one. My questions fall into two areas really. Performance and requirement.

Performance

Does the interchangable barrel system work? I'm sure its handy, it reduces the need to carry additional firearms (but is there a need).
    But how does changing the barrels affect the sighting of the guns. It is possible to maintain zero on a scope when you remove and re-attach a barrel.
    The speed of changing doesn'r interest me, i'm sure its not too long. I also am aware that each barrel will require a separate license.

Requirement
    How useful are each of the calibres? I suppose this is related specificly to the Quad, so anybody with knowledge of these rounds could reply;
    17 Mach 2 – a hot necked-down version of the popular 22LR
    22 LR – The universal caliber for target shooting and close range small game hunting
    17 HMR – A high velocity varmint cartridge with excellent ballistics up to 150 yards
    22 WMR – The most powerful of the Sako Quad calibres. A good small game and varmint cartridge.

Thats how Sako describe them. I imagine that the .22lr is the "handy" one. The jack of all trades so to speak. But which is the next best? Do any of the others have uses beyond the .22LR. To be honest i've no expierence of the others. Is there ever a need for another rim-fire rifle?
    For example, are any of the other rounds suitable for foxing?
    Do they have a place along side the .22lr, or instead of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

There is a scope available for a sako quad that has a multizero. If you look at the barrels there is a different colour strip at the breech end. There is a corresponding colour on the scope dial.

The 2 most useful calibres are .22LR and 17HMR.

After that I don't know.

I think shooting times uk did a review of them on their UK website

www.shootingtimes.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

so that would lead me to believe that after a barrel is removed and reinserted correctly, that it returns to zero. Thats a plus of course.
    I wonder if Rovi (I think) might post one of his excellent ballistics charts for the four. I know that the Mach and magum loads are obviously power powerful that the .22lr, with the magnum being more that the mach, but is there a much difference between them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

For example, are any of the other rounds suitable for foxing?

I use a 22 WMR for fox control and quite successfully too. 100/120 yrds winchester 40 grain JHP. I take my time and get them in close so that shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

There are a few people have them i have no first hand experience but from what i have heard first and formost leaving the barrel gimmick asside they are a well made quaility gun that are accurate.

The ability to change barrels however works and they do return to zero afterwards the only problem can be clearance of the scope which may require high mounts or qd mounts.

As for calibres
    .22lr - I think is a must as its cheap its accurate and its very quite.
    .17M2 - While a very good round and it has its uses i think the HMR wins out as it has great power and tradjectory and the .17M2 still has the noise factor.
    .17HMR - Excellent round flat out to 100yards plenty of power and very destructive will take fox within 100yards and extrememly accurate half inch groupings at 100yards
    .22WMR- Still a very good round cheaper than the HMR but a bit loopier but still very effecticve not as accurate as the HMR but you have alot more power with the 33 and 40gr projectiles

Personnally my money would be on the .22lr and the .17hmr as im sure would most peoples if you intend on a lot of foxes .22wmr might be a good choice however the .17hmr is capable if you are .

Idealy for fox a centrefire would be a better option anyway i wouldnt describe a rimfire cartridge as a dedicated foxing round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I own one, and I won't be parting with it :D

My barrel is .22lr, I can take off the barrel anytime I like and return it and it's still zeroed. So that answers your first question. Barrel change takes seconds, just FYI ;) If you're anywhere near me you're more than welcome to try mine. They're not a gimmick, they're a well made, accurate rifle.

Depending on physical build of the shooter, I'm 6'3, the stock may be a little short. Spacers are available to lengthen the rifle.

Specifically to the .22lr the only problem I have encountered after 14 months of shooting it is that from time to time a live round (eley sub) may not be extracted. This is because of very tight chamber tolerances. The soft lead of the bullet can become caught in the start of the barrel, a small allen key or a knife can easily get it out, or you can shoot it into a safe backstop. It doesn't happen often, infact I can't remember the last time it's happened to me.

I've got an MTC Viper 4-16x50 scope on it at the moment, I also have had a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x50 on it and even a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 for fun for a while. Never had a problem changing the barrel. Two of those scopes have sunshades which I did need to remove to take off the barrel. All you need to do is be smart enough to get mounts high enough or a scope with an objective small enough to comfortably remove the barrel. Again, not a problem.

As for the Burris multi zero scope, I think that's a proper gimmick. 100% so. Spend your money on a good quality scope, or one you personally like. Think of each barrel as a different round for a centre fire rifle, a lot will shoot to different points of impact, right? So zero your say .22lr and if you've target turrets like I do set the turrets to zero, or record the position. Stick on your other barrel, zero it, and all you need to do is either record the difference in windage and elevation or the number on the turrets from your .22lrs zero. Simple and works with any scope.

I've not just shot the .22lr, I've had a lot of experience shooting a HMR version. Again, very accurate. No problems besides the possibility of the stock being short.

.17 Mach 2 - IMO gimmick, don't go near it.
    .22lr - Everyone should have one, buy it.
    .17HMR - Excellent calibre. Longer legs than the .22lr, practically no ricochets so safer IMO than .22lr. Cons compared to .22lr, more expensive ammo, louder even when moderated but moderated it does seem to confuse bunnies more than a moderated .22lr. Great for longer range safely landed greycrows and magpies.
    .22WMR - I've no experience of this calibre.

My two choices would be .22lr and .17HMR. I think they're both different enough to fulfill different roles. .22lr for close range and .17HMR for a little father out. They'll both kill foxes, personally I would not shoot a fox past 80 yards with either calibre and I would always pick a brain shot but only if conditions were ideal.

I had to pick, I picked the .22lr. I would also love .17HMR and I can justify it to myself, I'm just not sure I can justify it to the local station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

As John said a .22 and .17HMR is the way to go. John is the quad factory cut for a moderator?

Jonty wrote: »
    As John said a .22 and .17HMR is the way to go. John is the quad factory cut for a moderator?

Some barrels are, some aren't (yup, it's like that. Or at least was like that last year). Mine is factory cut and came with iron sights which I have removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

When the fees go up having to licence each barrel will screw your wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Go up? Aren't they coming down?

Two rifles would also have two barrels *chucklechuckle*

Yep it's my understanding as well that fees are coming down :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Fees are coming down for everyone except those with "subsequent shotguns".

• Registered Users Posts: 39,356 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If anything, its getting better for the Sako

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Would you have more than one licence or would the one do.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

One for each barrel and calibre.

Advertisement