Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Benchmark/Statoil fuel cards- What's gone wrong?

Options
  • 09-07-2008 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

When I got my fuelcard a year or more ago I could be pretty sure that the rate I'd pay would be among the cheapest, so I rarely filled up anywhere else. Looking at it lately it seems to be one of the most expensive ways to fill up.

Even their own web page seems to admit as much now:
    http://www.benchmark.ie/fuelcard.php

Petrol almost a cent a litre dearer than the AA average. And I always thought their quoted AA average was unrealistically high to make their prices look better (maybe including Usher's Island in the average).

I must fire off an email asking whatever happened to the bulk purchasing power they used to speak of. Has anyone else questioned them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

milltown wrote: »
    When I got my fuelcard a year or more ago I could be pretty sure that the rate I'd pay would be among the cheapest, so I rarely filled up anywhere else. Looking at it lately it seems to be one of the most expensive ways to fill up.

Even their own web page seems to admit as much now:
    http://www.benchmark.ie/fuelcard.php

Petrol almost a cent a litre dearer than the AA average. And I always thought their quoted AA average was unrealistically high to make their prices look better (maybe including Usher's Island in the average).

I must fire off an email asking whatever happened to the bulk purchasing power they used to speak of. Has anyone else questioned them?

never questioned, just stop buying off them!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd guess its harder to negotiate a bulk discount when prices are all over the shop. I had three price updates in a week one week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I've come to the stage that I only use it in a Statoil/Topaz station where the petrol is cheaper than anywhere else around. I noticed that there weren't really any savings to be had a while ago.

It's silly really. Everyone I know who signed up did so for savings and most still assume that it's cheaper than shopping around and are surprised then when it's pointed out to them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

that is very interesting alright. I use the card myself, hadn't noticed this (obviously!). Let us know if you hear anything back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Its not that bad, if its cheaper at the pump you pay that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

My hubby has a Statoil card for work and pointed this out to his boss. His boss said that they actually get charged a national average rate from Statoil rather than the pump price but I'm a bit sceptical about that..:rolleyes:

However, my hubby, being of the English variety so not up to some of the stuff that us living in Ireland people inherently know, filled his van up at 'THE' Statoil/Topaz place on the Quays in Dublin a couple of weeks ago :eek:

Actually, this :eek::eek: was his face when they said 5 gazillion Euro or whatever it was when he went in to pay LOL! He came home ranting about this rip off place that he'd found when he was in the docks that day and filled up the van on the way home....this was my face :D I told him that EVERYONE in Dublin knew about that place and avoided it like the plague!

He hasn't told his boss....he's gonna test out the 'we get charged the national average' line when the invoice comes in!

My hubby has a Statoil card for work and pointed this out to his boss. His boss said that they actually get charged a national average rate from Statoil rather than the pump price but I'm a bit sceptical about that..:rolleyes:

However, my hubby, being of the English variety so not up to some of the stuff that us living in Ireland people inherently know, filled his van up at 'THE' Statoil/Topaz place on the Quays in Dublin a couple of weeks ago :eek:

Actually, this :eek::eek: was his face when they said 5 gazillion Euro or whatever it was when he went in to pay LOL! He came home ranting about this rip off place that he'd found when he was in the docks that day and filled up the van on the way home....this was my face :D I told him that EVERYONE in Dublin knew about that place and avoided it like the plague!

He hasn't told his boss....he's gonna test out the 'we get charged the national average' line when the invoice comes in!

Firstly, you do get charged a national average, believe me.

Secondly - that stations a: not a Statoil or Topaz anymore and b: actually quite cheap now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Yeh, i filled up there on my Statoil Fuel card and it was the card price not the crazy pump price. Its always whatever is lower.

Isn't that garage gone now though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I haven't used my fuel card in a couple of months. Other petrol stations in my area are cheaper than the card price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Seeing as no one is using the cards, compared to a year ago - the bulk buying power is diminished...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

I used to work for Topaz and when I left they removed the pittance discount that my card afforded me. I worked for Shell for 10+ years and during that time when people left they always allowed the ex staff to continue to avail of the "cheaper" fuel. It worked out at 3 pence per litre cheaper.
    When Topaz bought Shell and then Statoil, they removed this "Perk" :(. The card is a joke now. Shop around. The fuel that is being pumped at every garage in the country has been sitting in ther terminals for months, however when there is any kind of increase in the worldwide price per barrell, they shoot the price up straight away, even though they will not be paying that price for months. It's a con job. The Gov don't care coz they're quids in anyway.
    Rant over :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

MYOB wrote: »
    Firstly, you do get charged a national average, believe me.

Secondly - that stations a: not a Statoil or Topaz anymore and b: actually quite cheap now!

All I know is that he has a Statoil card (which is now Topaz) and on the sign which was pointed at by the sales assistant after they had revived him ;) the price of diesel was €1.79 per litre.....

He's hoping desperately that the card will be charged the national average...this was only about 6 or 8 weeks ago so not sure tbh as to whether it's there or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Slightly off topic guys but ... Can someone tell me exactly what petrol stations I can use my Statoil card in. Can I use it in ANY Topaz station now whether or not it was a statoil before. Also I heard I can use it in Esso ... never tried.

Tried searching Statoil and Topaz websites but couldnt find any info.

Any Topaz station. Some other franchise branded stations - generally not Esso ones. Note that some stations with Statoil branding aren't in the scheme though...

http://194.149.76.98/TopazMaps/dealers.htm - two clicks off the topaz.ie website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

petrol is 127.50 from tomrorow and diesel 139.90!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I nearly died when I saw the payment that came out of my bank account for the fuel card last month - and that was even at the cheaper pump-price!

Reckon I'd get way better fuel economy if I didn't have to keep dropping into third to overtake the vast hordes of numpties who insist on driving at 75 - 80kmh on the N81...

Advertisement