Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OS and Chipset help please.

Options
  • 09-07-2008 7:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi guys I was wondering if ye could help me out.
    I am building a new system in a week or two but I cannot decide weather or not to go with XFX or EVGA.
    Personally I prefere EVGA but for what im a paying I want quality over company.
    I will either use EVGA 790i Ultra Motherboard with the EVGA 9800GX2 SSC Edition
    or
    XFX 790i Ultra Motherboard with the XFX 9800GX2 Black Edition
    Any help would be appriciated. (<---Spelt wrong I Thinkbiggrin.gif)

Also I will be getting Vista Ultimate. I was gonna get the 32bit but after reading some of the other posts here people have 64 bit. What is the difference? I always thought 64 was bad for gaming.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Tharkun wrote: »
    Hi guys I was wondering if ye could help me out.
    I am building a new system in a week or two but I cannot decide weather or not to go with XFX or EVGA.
    Personally I prefere EVGA but for what im a paying I want quality over company.
    I will either use EVGA 790i Ultra Motherboard with the EVGA 9800GX2 SSC Edition
    or
    XFX 790i Ultra Motherboard with the XFX 9800GX2 Black Edition
    Any help would be appriciated. (<---Spelt wrong I Thinkbiggrin.gif)

Also I will be getting Vista Ultimate. I was gonna get the 32bit but after reading some of the other posts here people have 64 bit. What is the difference? I always thought 64 was bad for gaming.

Vista 32bit and Vista 64bit are the exact same code, one's compiled in x86, the other's in AMD64. 64bit is not bad for gaming. You'll need 64bit if you want to get the full use of 4GB of RAM, or if you intend to run 64bit code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Tharkun

So if I get the 64 bit it will not affect anything?
    Will I still be able to run all the programs that I can run on the 32 bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Tharkun wrote: »
    So if I get the 64 bit it will not affect anything?
    Will I still be able to run all the programs that I can run on the 32 bit?

Vista x64 will still run 32bit apps. It's not like you will need 64bit patches for all your favorite applications. You will need 64bit drivers for all your hardware but WHQL certification requires both 32bit and 64bit driver support now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Tharkun

Nice one, 64 Bit it is. Handy if I ever upgrade to 4gb of ram :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

I have Vista 32bit and can use all 4GB no prob. There used to be a problem with windows seeing all of it, but they've patched that. Any more than 4GB though, and you'll need 64bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I have Vista 32bit and can use all 4GB no prob. There used to be a problem with windows seeing all of it, but they've patched that. Any more than 4GB though, and you'll need 64bit.

No, you can't. The Vista patch meant that it'll show the correct physical amount, that's all. Without 64bit support it can't move the PCI address space above the 4GB limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

+1

never believe what vista says about memory, you can put in 16gb if you'd like but it would not make even a blind bit of difference, the computer can still only use 3.25gb because of the 32-bit limitation

Spear wrote: »
    No, you can't. The Vista patch meant that it'll show the correct physical amount, that's all. Without 64bit support it can't move the PCI address space above the 4GB limit.

Yeah that's what I said dude! I've got 4GB RAM, no more. That's what you're saying right? That if you want more than 4, you need 64bit?

Tharkun seems to think that Vista32 can't address 4GB. I always believed that it could address any amount up to and including 4.... Is that wrong? :confused:

+1

never believe what vista says about memory, you can put in 16gb if you'd like but it would not make even a blind bit of difference, the computer can still only use 3.25gb because of the 32-bit limitation

Ah jayzuz don't tell me that! 3.25?? :mad: I'm gonna spank whoever told me I could use 4GB!

Ah jayzuz don't tell me that! 3.25?? :mad: I'm gonna spank whoever told me I could use 4GB!

The PCI bus system reserves a set of memory space for itself, starting at just below the 4GB limit and working downwards. Every device on a PCI connection needs an address range, increasingly large for something like a current video card. Windows will not attempt to use any space reserved for PCI addressing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Total is 4,294,967,296 bytes of address space.........(two to the power of 32) of memory, less whats allocated to devices,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

its messy bad engineering tbh :D

Right right I get it now. Ah well, no harm in having the 4 sticks of 1024.

Advertisement