Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seamus Brennan Passed Away

Options
  • 09-07-2008 8:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Knew he was sick but didn't know it was that serious. RIP and condolences to his family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I liked him.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Yes, Seamus Brennan was one of the better politicians, and seemed a decent enough skin most of the time. He realised though he was working within a system and could only do so much, but most of the time he applied common-sense and he did what he could. His approach led to the Green's forming a coalition with FF. That may be the undoing of the Green's, only time will tell, but without Seamus Brennan involved and the 'soft' assurances he gave, I dont think they would have come on board. He showed them the art of the possible, perhaps.

He has died 'young', at aged 60, so had more to contribute.

Redspider

(By the way, I saw Tony Gregory briefly on TV during the Lisbon Treaty campaign (he was advocating a No) and he looked seriously ill as well. I wish him all the best and a speedy recovery if possible.)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I can't believe that. I'm not sure many knew he was that ill, i wasn't even aware he was ill at all. That's terrible news

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Didn't even know he was ill.

May he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

didnt know he was ill either.
    sad loss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

ziggy wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly
    R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Didn't realise he was ill ... what was it?!

RIP Seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

RIP Seamus. seemd a genuine and nice guy when I met him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

RIP and condolences to his family. Certainly one of the better and more able politicians and one I always had a lot of respect for. He was always very pragmatic and mixed this with an extremely human side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

There was something likeable about him. Didn't know he was sick.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Horrible news. He genuinely seemed like a decent politican and was one of the few in that category I had time for.

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Yeah very sad alright. He was only 60.

RIP Seamus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

He will be sadly missed in the constituency. Well respected and well like.
    I met Tiny a couple of times, and I always found him comfortable to be with, unlike other politicians who might fall over themselves trying to come across as your best mate. He was a great speaker as well, knew his stuff, and could talk unscripted which was always refreshing.
    He will be sadly missed.

RIP Seamus, and thanks for all your hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

+1.

Knew he was very ill and when he resigned from the Cabinet, it seemed clear that he was battling something serious. i saw him strolling on Dun Laoghaire pier with two of his daughters last year and he actually looked very well.

It's a sad loss - to die at 60 - and for his family, not to mention Dublin South.

He will be missed

Very Sad-RIP

I knew he had resigned his ministry due to illness.Again does anyone know what killed him?

Just echo'ing what Red Spider said,Tony Gregory was on the news again recently and he looked gaunt,small and unwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Agree. RIP and condolences to his family

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I knew that he was ill, and I suspected that it was bad, but I expected more warning.
    I genuinely admired this man, and thought that he was one of the best in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

RIP and condolences to his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Very Sad-RIP

I knew he had resigned his ministry due to illness.Again does anyone know what killed him?

Cancer, he's had it for a while

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I knew that he was ill, and I suspected that it was bad, but I expected more warning.
    I genuinely admired this man, and thought that he was one of the best in the Dail.

Likewise. Knew he was ill but didn't know the extent. He was our local TD, very very nice man and was very good for the area during his time in office. Was always there if someone wanted to raise an issue with him and would genuinely work on it.

Huge loss.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

I knew he was sick - that's why he had turned down a cabinet post when Brian Cowen took over. I wasn't surprised when he made that announcement, because I had seen him on the telly before that, and tbh, he didn't look the best. I was still shocked when I heard the news this morning, though.

One of the better Fianna Fail politicians, IMO. Always seemed very practical and down to earth, and he did a good job in transport, taking over from Mary O'Rourke who was a bit of a ditherer. He also did a great job babysitting the independents during the minority government.

I was also glad of the fact that he was an absolute unmistakable Galwayman - his accent was real Galway (like) and he never pretended to be anything else.

Ar dheis De go raibh a anam. Condolences to his family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Not a fan of FF but I always liked him. Stood up to Charlie back in the day and to the unions when he was in Transport. As mentioned was practical and likeable.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

One of the good ones, will be sadly missed. RIP Seamus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Slartibartfast

I know some of his kids pretty well and I'd met him. He was a very down to earth and likeable guy. I know his family will really miss him a lot. RIP Seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

As was mentioned he certainly did well after inheriting the posioned chalice department.

Considering Ahern shafted him, and was not particulary fond of the man, that time Brennan gave Ahern a comforting pat on the shoulder- after Ahern had been grilled by Browne - tells you all you need to know about the man's character. My cousin used to work for him and she mentioned he was a personable man. She added that he would be joking with his staff and that he was just genuinely interested in helping people.

Sad news.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

Sad news indeed. An impressive statesman. He could say nothing better than most and he was pretty good when something needed to be said also. No more Kitt, Brennan ding-dongs in Dublin South.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tigrrrr

sad news, he always came across as a very modest and agreeable individual who was a hard worker for his party, as demonstrated by his senior posts with Fianna Fail. He was one of the few FFTDs I like and found charming in a very honest sort of way.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sad news.. RIP Seamus.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Brennan's Brown bread. Will be badly missed especially by FF when they need a public display of contrition and humility.
    Genuine good bloke.

Advertisement