Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All aboard the atheist bus

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Therefore, a logical person would deduce that the probability of God's existence is exactly 50/50.
    As is the existence of the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot and the fairies living up your arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Dades wrote: »
    As is the existence of the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot and the fairies living up your arse.

Actually there's all sorts of evidence for the Loch Ness Monster and Bigfoot, so going by his logic of starting at 50/50 we're looking at an 80 or 90% probability that such creatures exist.

Someone tell science, quick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Zillah wrote: »
    Actually there's all sorts of evidence for the Loch Ness Monster and Bigfoot, so going by his logic of starting at 50/50 we're looking at an 80 or 90% probability that such creatures exist.

Someone tell science, quick!

Science heard ya well enough. Science don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭MrDaithi

Was browsing some picture board somewhere and found this.
    But without any reference at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Highest density of stupid points. Ever.

I half wish you hadn't posted that. As funny as it is I actually find it quite sad that people can still have these opinions, and be so confident in them that they'd write in to a newspaper to have them expressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ariane Sherine on BBC1's Breakfast show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmdRGyZqVsQ

Only 4 minutes, but -- FOCKIN 'ELL SHE'S HOT!!! :eek: She'd give a dog a bone! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd like to ride her bus! :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

breasts

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'd give her my Double Decker!

Oh right I meant to contribute something more significant. :o

Does anyone know what's next for the whole Atheist Bus style advertising movement? (sorry if the video explained it, I have no audio right now)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Galvasean wrote: »
    Oh right I meant to contribute something more significant. :o

Does anyone know what's next for the whole Atheist Bus style advertising movement? (sorry if the video explained it, I have no audio right now)
    Doesn't matter, I didn't listen to a word of that.... that smile....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

As a modern, metrosexual, politically correct, secular human being, I just gotta say, I would tap that.

Move over Dawkins! The face (or front :p) of heathenism has arrived...

They seem however to think though that because the ad used the word "probably", that they're not really atheists which is kind of annoying. If they'd left it out - they'd immediately be shouting how you can't prove God doesn't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

The lot of you need to go look at a picture of Dawkins for 5 minutes, then go and have a quiet lie down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

pH wrote: »
    The lot of you need to go look at a picture of Dawkins for 5 minutes, then go and have a quiet lie down.

This will help put those hormones back in their place.
    hitchens.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Now that is bad-ass :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Nothing like some nice round balloons to launch a bus service.

Anything that gives Ariel Sharon* more media time is a-okay with me! :eek:

* may or may not be her real name

Dave! wrote: »
    Anything that gives Ariel Sharon* more media time is a-okay with me! :eek:
    Wow! That permanent vegetative state has done wonders for Ariel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

PDN wrote: »
    Nothing like some nice round balloons to launch a bus service.

Yes. Eleven of them, because atheists like prime numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Some more info related to the campaign on the Dawkins website.

Atheists-launch-bus-ad-campaign

Dave OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Hilariously sad and pointless. Seeing as the only time a majority of Londoners are going to think of god in their day is when they see an attention seeking utterly pointless bus advertisement, isnt it kind of defeating the purpose? The only time I thought about god or religion today was upon seeing the report, so point proven I should think.

Anyone who gave money to this really should have put it to charity rather than signing up to a look at me im a mad anti establishment rebel fund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Hilariously sad and pointless. Seeing as the only time a majority of Londoners are going to think of god in their day is when they see an attention seeking utterly pointless bus advertisement, isnt it kind of defeating the purpose? The only time I thought about god or religion today was upon seeing the report, so point proven I should think.

Anyone who gave money to this really should have put it to charity rather than signing up to a look at me im a mad anti establishment rebel fund.

You think that you are like a majority of londeners and that proves your point :confused:

Do you know them all personally?

Anyways I dont think raising awareness for one of the most hated groups of people is the greatest waste of money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

oshead wrote: »
    Some more info related to the campaign on the Dawkins website.
    Is that Ariane trying to sit on the right hand of Dawkins?

http://www.atheistbus.org.uk/launchphotos/DSC_0042.JPG

No doubt about it -- I think we should invite her to Dublin.

The atheist bus journey Ariane Sherine

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/jan/06/religion-atheism

Also from the NY Times:

Not always positively. “I think it’s dreadful,” said Sandra Lafaire, 76, a tourist from Los Angeles, who said she believed in God and still enjoyed her life, thank you very much. “Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don’t like it in my face.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/world/europe/07london.html

If it's annoyed a US tourist who thinks freedom of speech is fine - except in public areas where she might hear it, then it's £135,000 well spent.
    Tha Gopher wrote:
    The only time I thought about god or religion today was upon seeing the report, so point proven I should think.

Maybe the ad campaign is based on the idea that the more you think about God the less likely you are to believe in it. If it turns out to be the opposite then I'm sure we'll see no more ads and just to be safe, Dawkins will withdraw his book from publication.

eoin5 wrote: »
    You think that you are like a majority of londeners and that proves your point :confused:

Do you know them all personally?

Im going to imagine most Londoners are like most Irish people- cant be bothered going to mass/church and have no particularly strong opinion on religion either way ("no particularly strong opinion" in my book being classed as either not believing but not caring that others do, or not thinking enough about it to neither believe nor disbelieve)

Anyways I dont think raising awareness for one of the most hated groups of people is the greatest waste of money.

Religious people are HATED? By whom? Communists? Why the hate? What, in the 21st century, are religious people in Ireland doing that negatively impacts on anyone else around them? (and dont try bringing Northern Loyalists into it. Most of those clowns havent been to a church in years)

Maybe the ad campaign is based on the idea that the more you think about God the less likely you are to believe in it. If it turns out to be the opposite then I'm sure we'll see no more ads and just to be safe, Dawkins will withdraw his book from publication.

So the aim is to get people like me who havent been to mass in years but writes Catholic on the census form and will get the kids baptised to actually step back and say wait, no more of this?

Why, pray tell, is this even remotely important to the world at large?

And I ask you again- could the £140,000 of publically donated money have been better spent on a worthwhile cause over the Christmas (notes fist shaking :) ) period?

Tha Gopher, could the money you spent on your computer not have been spent elsewhere? Could you not have bought cheaper clothes and put the savings towards some charitable cause? If you own a car, sell it! Take the bus and give your profits to SVDP! etc. etc.

• Advertisement

Tha Gopher, could the money you spent on your computer not have been spent elsewhere? Could you not have bought cheaper clothes and put the savings towards some charitable cause? If you own a car, sell it! Take the bus and give your profits to SVDP! etc. etc.

Are you honestly telling me these adverts are essential to peoples lives in the same way as important household goods, clothes and transport?

Really. As said, what is the point in them? Who is worrying about the existence of god? Not too many people- until they see this ad they arent thinking one bit about it.

Id absoloutely love it if this all goes tits up with drivers refusing to drive the buses, seeing as alot of London transport workers are from more traditionally religious parts of the world. Maybe then these clowns would get a refund and actually divert the money somewhere worthwhile.

Religious people are HATED?
    Wasn't eoin5 not actually referring to atheists?! (Though I don't think that's really the case in Europe).
    So the aim is to get people like me who havent been to mass in years but writes Catholic on the census form and will get the kids baptised to actually step back and say wait, no more of this?

The aim is to make an apathetic public aware that not everyone believes in a higher power, and that there are other voices than those who do. I'm unfamiliar with the particular difficulties experienced in the UK, but there are certainly institutions in Ireland that non-believers are tired of being dominated by priests and nuns.

Also lets not forget this started as a publicity stunt by a comedienne who was bemused by the Christian messages that were publicly flouted on buses - which referenced bug-eyed Fire & Brimstone websites for more information.

Oh maybe you missed some of these?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4762123.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6380629.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7613403.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5158760.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7482263.stm

need any more?
    And I ask you again- could the £140,000 of publically donated money have been better spent on a worthwhile cause over the Christmas (notes fist shaking :) ) period?

It's funny that you resort to, "You should have given it to charity", which seems like it applies to every penny not spend on a children's cancer hospitals. In the UK probably billions was spent(wasted?) on flashing lights, too much food, too much drink, unwanted aftershave and silly jumpers. And you've got a problem that a specific £140,000 wasn't given to charity? You're kidding right?

Are you honestly telling me these adverts are essential to peoples lives in the same way as important household goods, clothes and transport?

Really. As said, what is the point in them? Who is worrying about the existence of god? Not too many people- until they see this ad they arent thinking one bit about it.

It's essential that people are wearing the latest designer gear? That they own PS3s and Xboxes? No, people spend their money on whatever they want and rarely decide "oh maybe I'll just give this money to charity instead".

So you may not like the bus idea, and so you won't give money to it. But unless you live by the bare essentials, and don't spend money on arbitrary things, deciding instead to give it to charity - get a grip and stop harping on about "this could have gone to charity". Of course it could, but atheists, like everyone else, are want to spend money on non-charitable things from time to time.

What scumbags!
    Id absoloutely love it if this all goes tits up with drivers refusing to drive the buses, seeing as alot of London transport workers are from more traditionally religious parts of the world. Maybe then these clowns would get a refund and actually divert the money somewhere worthwhile.

Yeah that'd be gas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Whats the difference between an atheist message and a message from a religion you dont agree with? Maybe they dont allow drinking in their particular religion, where would the beer adverts go?

And as Dades pointed out yes its atheists I was talking about earlier.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Yeah that'd be gas

It really would! :)

The true reason for Dawkins' support of the campaign has become apparent:

atheistbusphotos3.jpg

Top Totty! :D:pac:

day-um!!!!

she's yummy

She has such a wierd voice though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

day-um!!!!

she's yummy

Weird, but strangely arousing. Nyom. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

It should be the agnostic bus, note the word "probably."

• Advertisement

Few atheists would say they're certain there's no god - just that the probability of god is extremely small.

To be fair, metrovelvet, the way the slogan is phrased it could be an 'agnostic' bus, too.

Though if you were really up with the term "atheist" you would agree it's a better fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

day-um!!!!

she's yummy

MMMMM shes hot, might be proof of a god after all, i now believe :D

MMMMM shes hot, might be proof of a god after all, i now believe :D

Hm, your path to Christianity through the study of an atheist?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7818980.stm
    An atheist campaign claiming "There's probably no God" has been reported to the advertising regulator.
    But organisation Christian Voice has complained to the Advertising Standards Authority saying they break rules on substantiation and truthfulness.

Stephen Green, national director of Christian Voice, said: "There is plenty of evidence for God, from people's personal experience, to the complexity, interdependence, beauty and design of the natural world.

"But there is scant evidence on the other side, so I think the advertisers are really going to struggle to show their claim is not an exaggeration or inaccurate, as the ASA code puts it."
    Good luck to them arguing that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7818980.stm

Good luck to them arguing that one.
    But I prayed that I would get good results in my exams and I got good results! It isn't because I studied hard, its because the numbers magically changed on my marked paper so there has to be a God!

It'd be gas if the advertising regulator had to actually analyse the evidence and report on whether the slogan was being truthful or not :)

busjesusyp4.jpg

I guess quotes must be OK though, so if the ASA don't like it in its current form they can go with:

Richard Dawkins said "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and get on with your life".

Seriously though, the quote thing can't be a way around making any claim a valid advertisement can it? (So in effect the "statement of fact" is that it was said, not the contents of the quote), otherwise you could make all kinds of claims in ads just by using a quote device.

So basically it's:

"I AM the resurrection, and the life whoever believes in Me shall live"
    vs
    "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and get on with your life"

busjesusyp4.jpg

I guess quotes must be OK though, so if the ASA don't like it in its current form they can go with:

Richard Dawkins said "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and get on with your life".

Seriously though, the quote thing can't be a way around making any claim a valid advertisement can it? (So in effect the "statement of fact" is that it was said, not the contents of the quote), otherwise you could make all kinds of claims in ads just by using a quote device.

So basically it's:

"I AM the resurrection, and the life whoever believes in Me shall live"
    vs
    "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and get on with your life"

DAWKINS said: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and get on with your life"
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Simon said "I AM the resurrection, and the life whoever believes in Me shall live"

....er... kills self resurrects then trips over...damnit im out.

Advertisement