Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All aboard the atheist bus

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Atheist bus adverts could lead to watchdog ruling on God's existence

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/4177717/Atheist-bus-adverts-could-lead-to-watchdog-ruling-on-Gods-existence.html

"The ASA is now considering whether to investigate his complaint, which could lead to it reaching a deep ontological conclusion about a supreme being.

If it ruled that the wording in the posters was unsubstantiated, it would be interpreted as effectively saying that in all probability God does exist.

Ruling that the words were justified could be taken as an agreement that God probably does not exist."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pH wrote: »
    What gibberish was that guy from Churches Advertising Network talking? :pac:

Talk about straining to find something negative about the whole thing... and then failing to form a coherent sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I didn't realise the UK's ASA was the supreme authority on all matters scientific and philosophical.

Although any ruling about the existence of God(s) would make a dangerous precedent in ASA guidelines.

seamus wrote: »
    I didn't realise the UK's ASA was the supreme authority on all matters scientific and philosophical.
    Who'd have thunk it? If only those Greeks had an ASA all this could have been sorted out long ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Who'd have thunk it? If only those Greeks had an ASA all this could have been sorted out long ago!
    Perhaps the ASA can just admit that they are in fact God, as the telegraph seems to suggest, and put an end to this once and for all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

Hilarious, as that probably means that if the ASA do pull it then almost every religious ad can be challenged on the grounds that they also haven't been substantiated. Win all the way :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Hilarious, as that probably means that if the ASA do pull it then almost every religious ad can be challenged on the grounds that they also haven't been substantiated. Win all the way :pac:
    Indeed, this would actually be a much, much bigger win than originally intended should this happen, no more religious advertisements altogether would be a fantastic result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

This is really funny. An advertising standards board has to rule on the probable existence of non-specific god. Man what a headache. And potentially the fundies have actually, potentially, made this into a bigger score for Dawkins and co. than we ever could have imagined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Dades wrote: »
    What gibberish was that guy from Churches Advertising Network talking? :pac:

Talk about straining to find something negative about the whole thing... and then failing to form a coherent sentence.

Yeah I didn't get that at all
    The line "probably", "probably there is no God", is a very selfish line, and its actually quite, ah, in a time of credit crunch, in a time of people tightening their belt buckles and making ends meet, it is a time for people to be open and a time for people to be generous

WTF?

One assumes he explained what the heck the line "probably there is no God" has to do with the credit crunch and people being generous just after this and it was edited out to make him look stupid .. damn you atheist media barons!! Damn you all to hell!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

God spoke to me last night and told me that Stephen Green is actually satan, and that as a society we must reject him and his word by turning the other way.

Let us circulate this, I would be interested to see Mr. Green prove it didn't happen, since it was my own personal experience and therefore has to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Rb when did you start posting in here? :pac: New guy eh???

COMMENCE THE INITIATION CEREMONY!!!

Dave! wrote: »
    COMMENCE THE INITIATION CEREMONY!!!
    Hold the goat while I fetch my firstborn... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Have you guys seen the pictures?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1106924/Theres-probably-God--stop-worrying-enjoy-life-Atheist-group-launches-billboard-campaign.html

I almost want to go over just to get a picture with some of the buses. :pac:

:eek: Bus ? You mean there's a bus in that picture ? (wipes the drool from his keyboard)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

If it ruled that the wording in the posters was unsubstantiated, it would be interpreted as effectively saying that in all probability God does exist.

Ruling that the words were justified could be taken as an agreement that God probably does not exist."[/I]

I'd throw it out TBH.

Oof, what an own goal! :pac:
    SirDarren wrote: »

Oid giver yer wan on teh rite a roide!!! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I think this was an excellent idea...love it! Maybe us boardsie atheist's should do something similar on a smaller scale in the future! :pac:

Gazza22 wrote: »
    I think this was an excellent idea...love it! Maybe us boardsie atheist's should do something similar on a smaller scale in the future! :pac:

Rent some ad-space from Boards and put in the same slogan as they used?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Hooray for Graham Linehan, generally.

Also, that Boardsie ad sounds interesting....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

:eek: Bus ? You mean there's a bus in that picture ? (wipes the drool from his keyboard)

From the tone of your post it sounds like that's not all you'll be wiping from your keyboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

From the tone of your post it sounds like that's not all you'll be wiping from your keyboard.

One in the eye for Christanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭STBR

Yes that seems like a good idea for the ad. :D

Richard Dawkins looks like such a PIMP in that picture! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Galvasean wrote: »
    Oid giver yer wan on teh rite a roide!!! :cool:

I prefer the lady on the left myself though Dawkins has his hand on her arse. lol

Húrin wrote: »
    I prefer the lady on the left myself though Dawkins has his hand on her arse. lol

Who are you to contend with the mega-pope? You will make do with his throwaways! :mad:

Nice interview with Ariane in the times.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article5488849.ece

In addition, I’ve had to lie a lot – when the venue asked suspiciously, “What sorts of events have you organised before?”, I said, “Numerous corporate functions” instead of “My birthday party”.

Húrin wrote: »

Oi! First dibs :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

good quote

i think the probably is her humorous side and we see quotes from kathren hepburn and emily dickison only a women would pick those

good quote from einstein

alberteinstein.jpg

PC gone mad! :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Galvasean wrote: »
    PC gone mad! :pac:
    Uh, looks like a Mac to me.

• Advertisement

Madeleine Bunting doesn't like these adverts
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/jan/12/madeleine-bunting-religion-social-justice/print

Usual chestnuts (waste of money etc) though she does a particularly good line in "Why can't you think about the poor downtrodden theist coming home in the early hours after working all night who while reading their holy book might be confronted with this awful message."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

"Why can't you think about the poor downtrodden theist [...]"
    That, I suppose, is what the ad is there to fix.

robindch wrote: »
    That, I suppose, is what the ad is there to fix.

I wonder though, if pressed would she admit that the "Jesus Saves" ones could do exactly the same to a poor downtrodden Muslim reading a Koran on the way home? Or does that not matter to her? Is her point that it's OK for Christians to challenge Muslims (and presumably vice versa) as they'll still have faith at the end of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I'm guessing everyone has seen old after hours having a bash at atheism.

It is AH after all but having all the atheists contained in this forum seems like
    a waste, when they could spout their wisdom to the masses. ;)

I avoid posting in AH for the same reasons Dawkins doesn't engage with creationists. ;)

When I want to know what the average 14 year old thinks of travellers and the Polish, I read AH, otherwise I tend not to.

[edit]
    Another lady, from south Wales this time, doesn't have the intellectual snobbery of Madeleine, but does a great line in "OMG where were all these atheists at CHRISTMAS??????"
    http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Atheists-face-bus-slogan-backlash/article-610749-detail/article.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭ironingbored

While reading "La Repubblica" online I came across this:

http://www.repubblica.it/2009/01/sezioni/cronaca/atei-autobus/atei-autobus/atei-autobus.html

"LA CATTIVA notizia è che Dio non esiste. Quella buona è che non ne hai bisogno".

The ad translates as: "The bad news is God doesn't exist.The good news is there's no need for him."

Great to see the campaign gaining ground. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

While reading "La Repubblica" online I came across this:

http://www.repubblica.it/2009/01/sezioni/cronaca/atei-autobus/atei-autobus/atei-autobus.html

"LA CATTIVA notizia è che Dio non esiste. Quella buona è che non ne hai bisogno".

The ad translates as: "The bad news is God doesn't exist.The good news is there's no need for him."

Great to see the campaign gaining ground. :D

That's a brilliant slogan! Though I still like the suggested Australian one - Atheism: Sleep in on Sundays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I avoid posting in AH for the same reasons Dawkins doesn't engage with creationists. ;)

Yore Ma doesn´t post on....no sorry I can´t do it. *washes self*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I'm guessing everyone has seen old after hours having a bash at atheism.

It is AH after all but having all the atheists contained in this forum seems like
    a waste, when they could spout their wisdom to the masses. ;)
    I think the Mods in AH have enough on their plate without adding us lot to the mix. :)
    *dashes off to scout out the opposition*

Had to happen ... it was inevitable!

Man refuses to drive 'No God' bus

A Christian bus driver has refused to drive a bus with an atheist slogan proclaiming "There's probably no God".

Ron Heather, from Southampton, Hampshire, responded with "shock" and "horror" at the message and walked out of his shift on Saturday in protest.

_45381669_picture002.jpg
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/7832647.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Was the fact that there's ad space on the side of the bus news to him? How would this have affected his job in any way?

Clearly, as a Christian, he didn't want to be involved in promoting an atheistic message.

And clearly, because there was 'religious belief' involved, the bus company could never do what they would normally be entitled to do if a bus driver went home refusing to drive a bus.

Snobbery? :P

Clearly, as a Christian, he didn't want to be involved in promoting an atheistic message.

And clearly, because there was 'religious belief' involved, the bus company could never do what they would normally be entitled to do if a bus driver went home refusing to drive a bus.

I certainly can't wait until July when a bus driver refuses to work due to the Transformers2 ad on the bus.
    Sentient robots from another planet are an afront to God!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Had to happen ... it was inevitable!

Man refuses to drive 'No God' bus

A Christian bus driver has refused to drive a bus with an atheist slogan proclaiming "There's probably no God".

Ron Heather, from Southampton, Hampshire, responded with "shock" and "horror" at the message and walked out of his shift on Saturday in protest.

_45381669_picture002.jpg
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/7832647.stm

I think this was part of the plan all along, even if no-one said it :D

_45381669_picture002.jpg

It says BC behind him. To me that is funny as I feel his opinions belong in the stone age. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

He's allowed have them though.

I respect his stupid opinion.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭sionnach

"Man refuses to drive 'No God' bus"

Or "Man spots an opportunity to stay at home and not be reprimanded".

It was bound to happen. I wonder how many more bus drivers will hear about this and rediscover their faith overnight (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

how is probably no god a stark message.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

how is probably no god a stark message.

Santa probably won't come to you this year.

You have to put yourself in their shoes!

• Advertisement
Advertisement