Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All aboard the atheist bus

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Jakkass wrote: »
    Pretty much the same as you call a child with a religion I would have thought :)

Just less Marys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I'm sure there is a word for when you're a smug prat and think you've outsmarted and out-thought the opposition, only to make your opponents point in a way so much better than they could have done ...

So from the Telegraph:

Children on atheist billboards 'are actually Evangelical Christians'

But the campaign appears to have backfired after a Christian community leader said that the models pictured in the poster were from a family of committed Christians whose images had been taken from a stock photo.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/6617859/Children-on-atheist-billboards-are-actually-Evangelical-Christians.html

So their clever response to an ad which asks people to consider whether it is right to classify and define children using religious labels, is an article whose headline defines children using using a religious label. And somehow this means the poster has 'backfired'.

How much further could you miss the poster's point by?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This billboard ad has a bit too much Dawkins in it for me.

pH wrote: »

So from the Telegraph:

I just object to the labelling of billboards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Seems to me they couldn't have chosen a better kid for the ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

pH wrote: »
    So from the Telegraph:

The tabloid thicko's won't know any better, they have a religion to dedicate themselves to and horoscopes to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Would imagine its most relevant in Belfast. Should have put them in Derry/Portadown too.

Where the hell were you in 1969 Richard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

The tabloid thicko's.

But the Daily Telegraph is a broadsheet not a tabloid. In the same way as the Sunday independent is.....Oh nevermind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Another interesting article on the billboards issue by George Pitcher. It's good to get a perspective of how theists are regarding this.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/georgepitcher/6611937/What-exactly-are-atheists-so-scared-about.html

The only group who seem to have affirmed the message of the BHA on this one is the Evangelical Alliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jakkass wrote: »
    Another interesting article on the billboards issue by George Pitcher. It's good to get a perspective of how theists are regarding this.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/georgepitcher/6611937/What-exactly-are-atheists-so-scared-about.html
    Godwin'ed in 4 lines, impressive:
    As I was leaving church yesterday, a nice chap called Andy called to see if I would go on Radio 2 to talk about a new billboard campaign enjoining us not to "label" our children with religious tags such as "Catholic child" or "Muslim child". Beside pictures of bonny toddlers (all white, as it happens), runs the tagline: "Let me grow up and decide for myself."
    You may remember its genius: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life." The best that can be said for it is that it got people talking about God.
    *Whooosh!*

I wouldn't call that interesting in the slightest Jakkass. It's just an article full of ad-hominem, paranoid nonsense from someone whom the whole point of the campaign has clearly been lost on.

He tries to claim, for example that it's not possible to indoctrinate a child because they'll forget all about it by the time they're teenagers. Again, point completely missed (and he's completely incorrect).

• Advertisement

It started off with a good Jewish joke:
    It's like that old joke about the Jewish mother: "Help! Help! My son, the doctor, is drowning!"

but quickly decended into paranoid rambling:
    The world view of the anti-religion militants, unfortunately, is that one of us has to go. They really think, paradoxically enough, that this is their Armageddon: the forces of religious evil must be swept from the public sphere, to be replaced with a new hegemony of secularism and atheism, which from their mouths sounds remarkably fundamentalist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    But the Daily Telegraph is a broadsheet not a tabloid. In the same way as the Sunday independent is.....Oh nevermind

Meh, all newspapers are just social commentary anyways.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

TV comedy writer Ariane Sherine does, so she wrote an amusing article for The Guardian suggesting that atheists club together and pay for their own.
    Ten years on, Ariana Sherine has been up and down, but mostly down. Here's a blog post of hers from yesterday:

http://arianesherine.blogspot.ie/2018/04/when-nobody-cares.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »
    Ten years on, Ariana Sherine has been up and down, but mostly down. Here's a blog post of hers from yesterday:

http://arianesherine.blogspot.ie/2018/04/when-nobody-cares.html
    Still using the old photo.

Advertisement