Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireworks

Options
  • 09-07-2008 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

May be the wrong place for this post, but I am based in the Dublin City area.

Does anyone know the legal situation with Fireworks in the Republic of Ireland?
    Is there any way of legally getting some for a special occassion?

I know they are sold illegally in the run-up to Halloween.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

donaghs wrote: »
    May be the wrong place for this post, but I am based in the Dublin City area.

Does anyone know the legal situation with Fireworks in the Republic of Ireland?
    Is there any way of legally getting some for a special occassion?

I know they are sold illegally in the run-up to Halloween.
    :confused: and they're legal at other times of the year?
    Proper forum could be: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=633
    Anyway citizensinformation.ie (formerly oasis.gov.ie, yeah I don't know why Oasis either) is very useful for these types of questions.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/criminal-law/criminal-offences/the-law-on-fireworks
    So possessing or buying them normally appears to be legal but selling or using them is not (private land or not) but:
    Can I use fireworks at a special event such as a party?

Yes, but first, the fireworks must be licensed for import. If you want to import fireworks into Ireland you must apply for a licence to the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform. Application forms are available (Word) from the Department and can be downloaded from the Department's website. The application must be made at least one month before the proposed event. The licence is free.

Details which you must provide when applying include the following:

* Your name and address as the applicant
    * The name and address of the organiser of the fireworks display
    * The name and address of the operator of the display
    * The name and address of the safety officer for the display
    * The date, location and reason for the display

Furthermore you must confirm to the Department:

* That you have read and are aware of the contents of the Guidance Document on Organised Pyrotechnic Displays. This document is available from the Department.
    * That all operators used in the display are competent, in accordance with the guidance document.
    * That adequate public liability insurance is in place.
    * That you have consulted the local authority Fire Officer.
    * That you have consulted the local Gardaí.
    * That you have consulted with all other relevant interested parties, for example, your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Proper forum could be: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=633
    Anyway citizensinformation.ie (formerly oasis.gov.ie, yeah I don't know why Oasis either) is very useful for these types of questions.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/criminal-law/criminal-offences/the-law-on-fireworks
    So possessing or buying them normally appears to be legal but selling or using them is not (private land or not) but:

Thanks, probably won't have enough time to get all that stuff together. Suppose it is possible though with enough time and preparation.
    Irish Halo wrote: »
    :confused: and they're legal at other times of the year?
    I don't recall saying that!:confused: I did mention Halloween though to pre-empt that line of enquiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

They're illegal full stop

Advertisement