Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it discrimination ?

Options
  • 09-07-2008 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I'm a meat eating guy who's happy with that, but my girlfriend is a veggie.

I'm listening to Ray D'Arcy at the moment and he is reading out texts from listeners giving out about vegetarians. It stinks of complete ignorance on the part of the listeners.

Does it get to you sometimes when you can't just get what you want to eat, as you are "different". I posted here recently about how my girlfriend asked in a chip shop if the chips were suitable for veggies, they said yes. She asked what oil they were cooked in, they said vegetable oil... She said, yes, but is there meat also cooked in that oil... They said yes... they couldn't even understand why it might bother her.

We were recently at a wedding and I chose out my food and was delighted with it... the waiter went to my girlfriend with his pen in hand. She said quietly "Do you have a vegetarian option?" He says: "Vegetarian... yes of course" ticks his order with "Veg" and walks off. So basically she didn't have a clue what she was going to get, and had no choice in the matter! It turned out to be a rissoto that wasn't very nice.. but she would have taken a portion of veg if she got the chance!

Does this stuff bug you too? Or am I taking life to seriously ?! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

Grrrr. Is there at least somebody giving a veggie perspective?

I don't really get too annoyed about lack of options in restaurants or at weddings. It's improved over the years but it's still Ireland.
    Low expectations are the key. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

I don't think it's discrimination really, more ignorance but you'd think in this day and age people would be more aware of diversity in all areas and certainly less dismissive of it. Galls me when people think veggies are just being awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Grrrr. Is there at least somebody giving a veggie perspective?
    /QUOTE]

Nope.. there was a girl on doing a quiz, who is a vegetarian. She said if she has a kid that the kid will be veggie till it can decide for itself..

One texter said she shouldn't be allowed have kids and somebody else said she would make a disgraceful mother...
    I don't think it's discrimination really, more ignorance

Think you're right there... As I say, I'm a meat eater myself so it doesn't affect me directly, but I find it incredibly mind boggling in restaurants and the like, asking if my girlfriends food will be completely veggie... and getting blank stares. Or as above, being told it is veggie, and then asking a probing question like "there's no egg in it, is there?" and being told yes there is. IT'S NOT VEGETARIAN THEN !!!

Very frustrating. People working in the catering trade should be fully aware of the meaning of being vegetarian or vegan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭dynastygal

General ignorance tbh, but it can stem into out-right discrimination in other parts affecting a veggie's life as discrimination of cultures, groups etc often stems from ignorance.

As for that thing about egg, technically, a vegetarian dish with egg in is still vegetarian as under vegetarian in restaurants and such they don't go into detail with things like lacto-ovo etc.

dynastygal wrote: »
    As for that thing about egg, technically, a vegetarian dish with egg in is still vegetarian as under vegetarian in restaurants and such they don't go into detail with things like lacto-ovo etc.

Yeah realise that alright ... but I would be right in thinking most vegetarians wouldn't eat egg?!

What I mean is though, when questioned about it, they very often can't understand why it might not be to the liking of a vegetarian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭dynastygal

It's vegans you're thinking off...there are some types of vegetarians that won't eat egg, but on the whole it's vegans whom will abstain from such.

The lack of understanding comes from the general ignorance. But then you'll get some who are unwilling to try and understand...that's where it goes into discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Yeah realise that alright ... but I would be right in thinking most vegetarians wouldn't eat egg?!

No you'd be wrong! I don't know any veggies that don't eat egg! Although I suppose a lot would avoid it where possible.

Yeah I agree, this is plain old ignorance. The comments you mentioned about the woman having a veggie baby are particularly disturbing. Unfortunately, if someone is slightly different in society they will be considered outcasts and 'weird'. Shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Yeah I would agree with the others its not so much discrimination but ignorance. Most of them who are texting in are probably wind up merchants about vegetarianism a la Gordon Ramsey

Most veggies would eat free range eggs no bother. Vegans dont eat any eggs, dairy etc.

It does not really bother me as I have been putting up with other peoples wind ups, crap food choices on menus and silly so-called jokes about me being a veggie for 20 years!!

Its great that you are a meat eater who is concerned though! Good on you!

Nature Boy wrote: »
    No you'd be wrong! I don't know any veggies that don't eat egg! Although I suppose a lot would avoid it where possible.

It's girlfriend I was talking about, and she doesn't eat eggs, but would call herself vegetarian, not vegan.. obviously in the minotity so!
    flikflak wrote: »
    Yeah I would agree with the others its not so much discrimination but ignorance. Most of them who are texting in are probably wind up merchants about vegetarianism a la Gordon Ramsey

Most veggies would eat free range eggs no bother. Vegans dont eat any eggs, dairy etc.

It does not really bother me as I have been putting up with other peoples wind ups, crap food choices on menus and silly so-called jokes about me being a veggie for 20 years!!

Its great that you are a meat eater who is concerned though! Good on you!

Wouldn't say I'm concerned as such! Just wondered if it really bothers you, as thought it must.

Know what you mean about Gordon Ramsey though! Was watching one of his shows recently, he had a guest making a veggie curry and he wasn't too impressed! He said: "sure if it doesn't taste nice at the end, you could always cut up a vegetarian and throw them in to it!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Euch ray d'arcy was driving me cracked this morning! I very nearly got up out of bed to change the station :eek: (I'm lazy).When he started on about how it's "natural" for humans to be omnivores...grrr...I very rarely get pissed off at people expressing their opinions on veggie/veganism, as has been said they're usually un-informed rather than actually hostile, but some of the texts not to mention his contributions, were downright agressive and offensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It isn't discrimination - it is a matter of supply & demand.
    When people start demanding more veggy options & high quality ones at that, then the situation may improve.

If you want to see an improvement - don't ask "Is there a vegetarian option?"
    Say "What are the vegetarian options?"
    It would create a subtle shift in people's thinking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's girlfriend I was talking about, and she doesn't eat eggs, but would call herself vegetarian, not vegan.. obviously in the minotity so!
    Does she eat dairy? If not she is a vegan, if she does she is a lacto-vegetarian.
    A lot of vegetarians eat eggs and dairy so would be lacto-ovo vegetarian. We have types. :)

I find it quite annoying, very few restaurants in Ireland that i would like the food, most have horrible food as the only vegetarian option. I put up with a stirfry and mashed potato if I can get it in hotels. Heh.
    Wish there were some lovely vegetarian restaurants here like the ones I enjoyed in france.
    Options are a lot better in other countries like Britain and so on.

Here there are so many people who can't even fathom you not eating meat, 'think of all the tastes you miss' rolleyes. Sure why would ye not eat meat.
    Only nice experiences are asking for vegetarian options and random people saying 'fair play' to me, heh.

Does she eat daiy? If not she is a vegan, if she does she is a lacto-vegetarian.
    A lot of vegetarians eat egss and dairy so would be lacto-ovo vegetarian. We have types. :)

She would avoid it ... maybe she is 'lacto-vegetarian' but doesn't have the patience to explain it to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

maybe she is 'lacto-vegetarian' but doesn't have the patience to explain it to me
    well, now you know :)
    "there's no egg in it, is there?" and being told yes there is. IT'S NOT VEGETARIAN THEN !!!
    i don't know any people who call themselves vegetarian but don't eat egg ;)

your girlfried has to be able to explain to the waiter what she will or will not eat because otherwise she will not be given what she wants. it's the same with anyone else when they order; beliefs or pure dislike for the food must be stated.

i heard about the radio show from my college lecturer a few hours ago. he is a hearty meat-eater and was surprised at the angry texts which were being read out on air. radio shows love hype and a great discussion/argument; they were knowingly fueling it. don't let it get to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Yeah I recon it was just a bunch of people stiring sh1t for the laugh. Most people who talk to me about being veggie are just curious and don't take the piss (well, not much!)
    And anyway Ray Darcy is a g0bsh1te so I don't really care what's on his show!

I wouldn't trust anyone to feed my future veggie children.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Nature Boy wrote: »
    And anyway Ray Darcy is a g0bsh1te so I don't really care what's on his show!

He is a mong alright and has decided to target the plain speaking breakfast roll eating mongs of Ireland as his audience. Frankly they deserve better. It's vegetarians today and it'll be ginger haired people tomorrow. Monday they'll be targeting anyone with a leaving cert.

my kids are now 15 and 18 and were raised veggie. They are easily the healthiest kids I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I don't eat eggs (well mostly try to avoid them) but otherwise I'm vegetarian.

What is amusing is the righteous indignation of people claiming that raising a child on a vegetarian diet is some form of child abuse, and is unnecessarily imposing the parent's lifestyle on the child.

Well excuse me, but isn't raising a child as meat-eating also dictating a choice?
    Silly people..

Peanut wrote: »
    I don't eat eggs (well mostly try to avoid them) but otherwise I'm vegetarian.

What is amusing is the righteous indignation of people claiming that raising a child on a vegetarian diet is some form of child abuse, and is unnecessarily imposing the parent's lifestyle on the child.

Well excuse me, but isn't raising a child as meat-eating also dictating a choice?
    Silly people..

Bottom line? I think it's far more dangerous to raise kids in that level of ignorance and narrow mindedness than to raise them as veggies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement