Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I run two broadbands through the same phone line?

Options
  • 09-07-2008 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I want to be able to run two broadbands (Eircom and Irish Broadband) though the same phone line. Irishbroadband is all set up and working. Eircom are telling me that a deadicated line is needed but I dont believe them!
    Is this possible and if so can the two broadbands run at the same time?
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

No. To top it off, most phone lines here barely run broadband. Two is impossible by any standard.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You can't have two ADSL providers on the one PSTN line, you may not believe or like Eircom but their telling you the truth

If you want another ADSL provider then egt another PSTN line installed

Oh and before you ask you can't run two ADSL modems on the one ADSL line either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

why is my guestion as you can share one and say for double the speed instead

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

why can't you have two modems,

Well because you'll only be able to gain sync with one at a time, its just the way its setup, your still dealing with one signal as such and if you simplify it its similar to the way you can only have one 56K connection on a normal PSTN line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can carry more people on a longer faster train in shorter time. But on one pair of tracks you can't run two trains side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

is that a train analogy?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The analogy is an easy to understand lie. I could really explain why you can't have two (or more) DSL modems on one line, but the only people that would understand the explanation would already know it. Then also you would be left with a sneaking suspicion that it is possible. It's not going to work.

You can connect a specially programmed router* running OpenWRT and make 1/2 the ethernet ports (2 each) be two separate LANs each with up to 1/2 the speed of the DSL connection. A far more elegant approach. Or have a single ALN with two different subnets on it. Then the WiFi can be shared too.

(*Or even some DSL modems with built in routers that can run OpenWRT)

Advertisement