Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaggia Descaler

• 09-07-2008 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi,

My gaggia new baby class stopped working this morning.

Only a small amount of water comes out of the group head and the pump
    sounds laboured.

I have the machine almost a year and never cleaned it.

I use filtered water in the machine so I didn't feel the need to descale.

From a few internet searches the best way to resolve this problem is to take apart the group head and clean the parts and descale the machine.
    Apparently backflushing is not recommened by the manufacturer for the gaggia new baby class.

My problem is that I do not know where to get descaler.

The gaggia branded descaler is formulated from tartaric acid. Does anybody know where I can get the gaggia descaler or a similar tartaric acid based product quickly (I know I can get it on the internet but ideally I need it today).

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Where are you based? If you want to drop over to UCD today I'll give you some citric acid. Will do the job nicely.

The offiial reason Gaggia says not to backflush, is because there is a risk of splashing very hot water out of the solenoid and getting burns - it won't damage the machine (it has a solenoid right?).

Anyway you don't backflush with the descaler - that goes into the reservoir - backflushing is for cafiza (or similar) detergent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi

happy donkey do the descalers and backflush powders (pulycaff)

i have a 5 yr old baby and gaggia have always said not to backflush

as someone said before "he wouldnt drink coffee from a machine
    thant wasnt backflushed regularly"

as reactor mentioned, make sure it does have a solenoid
    (i'm sure it does, the baby always has, but I'm not so familiar with the later ones)

ciao

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

I'm in Celbridge so a little to far to go to UCD. But thanks for the offer RE*AC*TOR.

Thanks fourmations, I think I will start backflushing the machine for now on. It does have a solenoid alright.

Advertisement