Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary School Teaching

• 09-07-2008 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Ok I need advice, I'm 32 with a Level 8 degree pass result.. I'm thinking about Primary School teaching with a long long while and thinking about repeating Leaving Cert Honours Irish in June '09, I got a B2 in pass Irish about 15 years ago when I sat my LC..
    Can anyone recommend a place in Cork that does the LC Irish by night classes..
    What are the chances of getting a place on Hibernia or some other college doing Primary teaching?
    Am I too old?.. I feel very old going back to college but I'm single with no dependants so reckon its a good time to retrain..

Would really just like feedback and advice and opinions..

Has anyone done this at my age and succeeded.. How did they find the Irish,.. Have they any recommendations on it? and then the interviews for the courses and lastly the course itself??

Any feedback greatly appreciated folks..

Comments

Moved from Mature & Non-traditional Students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭hot chick

hey dineel

Chances of you getting into a primary postgrad here with pass Irish are slim to be honest. I know people with honours Irish and a gift for languages who can't get through because standards are so high and it's extremely copmpetitive. If you're set on doing primary, the easiest way in is to get yourself into a postgrad in england. You'll then have 5 years when you get home to pass the SCG exam but you'll be able to teach younger classes till you have. Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dineel

I was thinking of repeating the Irish in the Leaving Cert in 2009 and doing honours in order to fulfill the requirement of having a C3 in honours Irish

My Level 8 degree has a Pass result.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Absolutely IGNORE hot chick, unless of course you like the idea of going to the UK.

It's true that you have to repeat your Irish to study the post grad here.
    It's not as hot chick said a 'slim chance' of getting on post grad with pass irish, it is IMPOSSIBLE.
    Honours Irish & a level 8 degree are actual requirements to be eligible for a place on the course. Without them you are simply not qualified for a place.

Now, getting back to your question:-
    I've just repeated my Irish this summer & will be applying to Hibernia when I get my results.
    100's of people in my situation get places on the Irish Post Grads every year, so don't let this put you off.
    Yes, there's plenty of competition, & the standard of Irish can be high enough, seemingly more so for some colleges than others, but it is MORE than doable.

Apparently the SCG experience isn't all that pleasant at all.

If you like the idea of the UK route, then by all means go for it, but don't do it purely based on misinformation above!

If you need more proof of how doable the irish post grad is for people like me & you, then simply log onto www.educationposts.ie

p.s. if thinking of repeating your Irish, then make sure to do it this year, as the course changes the following year.

best of luck,
    BB

Thanks Boozy Babe, thats exactly what I was was thinking.. You say you repeated the Irish this year, I know the results aren't out yet but how did you find it, Was it a long time since you studied it before and how did you get on the first time round, I'm Shi*ting it if I'm honest as its been so long since I have studied Irish and would love to hear the feedback with regard to the course and doing the syllabus in one year. Thanks dineel

• Advertisement

Hi Dineel,

Glad to be of help, as I know exactly what you're going through!!!

I sat my LC in '97, so 11 years ago. I was very poor at Irish back then (I think a C something in ordinary) & so before I began studying the Irish again I can say my Irish was pretty much non-existant.

If you can, I'd start brushing up from today, don't wait for the course to start. Go back to complete basics, reading Childrens books from the library if need be. Although not actually needed for the course, I found it stood to me a lot.

The LC is basically a memory test. I wish for Irish' sake it wasn't, but it is. You learn lots of stuff off & on the day of the exam you spill it out over the paper & hopefully hey presto, you get your honour.

I found it very doable, & not that stressful at all tbh, & like I said, I did not have good Irish.

I attended Irish classes ever Sat morn (following school terms) in Navan. Had the Oral exam in April & then the written & aural exams in June.

I'm pretty confident that I've done enough to get my honour. I'd imagine a good bit better than the minimum grade required, but I don't want to tempt fate by saying so, in case the examiner can't read my dreadful hand writing!!!! :o:D

I'd defo say give it a go. What have you got to lose, & I imagine you'll actually surprise yourself!!

Oh, & is there a place called the College of Commerce or something like that in Cork. I got chatting with a girl from Cork who repeated this year & that's where she did her course. It only cost something likfe €200 ish for the course & she found it very good.

Thanks Boozy Babe, thats encouraging to hear that.. I heard that the College of Commerce does the LC Irish course alright so its good to hear feedback that they were good.
    I did my LC in 95 and feel like a right granny going back to college but have always had an interest in Primary School Teaching and it seems more feasible to do it these days.. and bored to tears in my current job so think that in the long run, it better to go back and do 2/3 years study and be in a job you like than spend the next 20 years in a job that you don't !!

I hope you get your honour and let me know how you get on with Hibernia as hoping to go that route too..

Best of Luck with it and Thanks again for the feedback..

Heres to many evenings watching TG4..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭noel123ie

Hi there

Im in a similiar boat Ive got a pass Level 8 degree but a B in Honour Irish( I went to an Irish School). Im 34 with a mortgage and single

What are my options for teaching i wonder. I checked in www.educationposts.ie and there seem to be a no of jobs here in Cork

The Hibernia course sems good but very expensive. Other courses are very hard to get I think

Has anyone gone to Uk would I get in do you think with a pass degree

Ive a dimploma in a course B.Sc. in Computing and could go on to do the honours course(one year full time and two part time)

I also could continus in IT that im at but IT seems to be very up and down at times

Any advice/tips would be great
    Noel

Hey,Just wondering Boozy Babe, how did you get on with the irish, did you apply for the Hibernia Course

Hey Dineel,

What did you decide? Did you enrol in the College of Commerce?
    I got a B2 in the LC, the girl who I mentioned in one of the previous posts got a B1.

Yes, I applied to Hibernia the day I got my results & I should be getting my interview in the next 2 weeks or so, so keep all your fingers crossed for me!!!:o

• Advertisement

Well done, that is fantastic
    I started in School of Comm last week but not too impressed by the teacher, think she is a new girl, and not too sure how experienced she is
    Let me know how the interview goes, I will keep the fingers crossed for you!

BoozyBabe wrote: »
    Hey Dineel,

What did you decide? Did you enrol in the College of Commerce?
    I got a B2 in the LC, the girl who I mentioned in one of the previous posts got a B1.

Yes, I applied to Hibernia the day I got my results & I should be getting my interview in the next 2 weeks or so, so keep all your fingers crossed for me!!!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Rohypnol

Another question regarding Primary School Teaching:

I got into the B Ed programme in MUI today, they rechecked my Leaving Cert results and the points went up. It's a bit of a bollocks because I'm doing really well in my Government course, but I'm definitely going to change.

My question is about the timetables. How do you choose your subjects? There's hardly a 9-5 day every day with no breaks..! The online timetable is sort of useless.

Advertisement