Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sound Converter

• 09-07-2008 10:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Could anyone tell me how I can convert RCA (Red/White) output from a TV to either COAXIAL or OPTICAL input on a surround sound system?

Any help is appreciated. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Bump..... Anyone have any idea?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Short answer is that you can't - the red and white audio out on a tv carries a stereo analogue sound signal, the coax or optical signal into a surround sound system is a digital signal. If there is some kind of transcoder (and I am not aware of one off-hand without doing some research) it will only produce a stereo signal - simpler to input the stereo signal and let the surround system use that. If the surround system you have doesn't have stereo-in and doesn't do Dolby Prologic then you're stuck.

Why do you want to output sond fro your tv ? it's a bit more common to route sound froma dvd player/set-top box to an AV system ? What equipment are you using ?

Ritz.

Cheers for the reply on this lad.

Basically, you correct above, I'm trying to get TV sound through to the speaker system.

I bought a package deal last week (Sony Bravia 40D3500 with Sony DAV-DZ260) and hooked everything up but was amazed to find that there was no direct way to connect the TV output (Red & White RCA) to the DZ260 (Digital Coaxial and Optical in).

I found a workaround where I can use the audio in socket on the front of the unit using a RCA to 3.5mm converter, but this looks a bit minging and I'm not sure about the quality coming out of it.
    I have a standard digibox hooked up as input to the TV, and this only has (Red & White RCA) as output as well.

To my mind I really only have 2 options here
    a) Keep the minging setup I currently have
    b) Upgrade to a SKY+ box which has optical out.

Am I right or wrong here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

Having looked online at the manual for your new sony system you are corerect in the only way to connect an "analog" external source is via the 3.5mm jack on the front of the unit which I agree would not look pretty!
    Getting sky+ would kill two birds with one stone, give you the optical output you require and also give you the superb functionality of sky+ recording!

It's what i'd do!

Industria

Thought as much Industria, cheers for the confirmation on that.

(Now I know I'm not going mad.....or am I???)

• Advertisement
Advertisement