Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else (who drinks) getting a bit fed up?

• 09-07-2008 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

Right, well first of all I am a drinker (boo hiss ;) ) But as of late I am really getting sick of the whole scene.

I went to a party the other day which started out in a pub, I spent about 50 euro buying a couple of rounds and then another 30 euro buying drink to bring back to my mates house.

Now most of the time I am not a heavy drinker, but with the occasion that was in I thought why not. But anyway, a lot of people got pretty messed up and vomited everywhere, I remained pretty sober and spent most of the night pissed off at the loss of 80 euro surrounded by drunken morons (this is no offence to people who get drunk, just to people who vomit on my new shoes ;) )

Anyway all in all after this I don't think I'll be drinking with those people (or people like that) again. Maybe have a nice glass of wine here and there but that's about it.

Anyway, sorry if this is a bit of a rant but I'm trying to show people how it is that some people are turned off this culture.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 carl-sagan

with ya there Captain Ginger. I often wonder how different i might be if ih ad grown up in a cluture not so obsessed with getting drunk..But i still drink, though i often rant against it. And i try to get around myself and say look its only a drink. To be fair its not like o overdrink but still in the morning when i awake after drinking the night before i gwet this pangs of annoyance with myself and a feeling of regret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Yep.

I think last night might be the last straw...hit on by a black hooker and I was 'this' close to maybe thinking about it.

I felt so bad. :(

I find just going away works wonders; not being surrounded by the culture makes it much easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Feeonaw

Right, well first of all I am a drinker (boo hiss ;) ) But as of late I am really getting sick of the whole scene.

I went to a party the other day which started out in a pub, I spent about 50 euro buying a couple of rounds and then another 30 euro buying drink to bring back to my mates house.

Now most of the time I am not a heavy drinker, but with the occasion that was in I thought why not. But anyway, a lot of people got pretty messed up and vomited everywhere, I remained pretty sober and spent most of the night pissed off at the loss of 80 euro surrounded by drunken morons (this is no offence to people who get drunk, just to people who vomit on my new shoes ;) )

Anyway all in all after this I don't think I'll be drinking with those people (or people like that) again. Maybe have a nice glass of wine here and there but that's about it.

Anyway, sorry if this is a bit of a rant but I'm trying to show people how it is that some people are turned off this culture.

Just so everyone knows - drinkers are more than welcome to post here - we're not anti-drink by any way or means! The whole idea of this forum is to have a place where people can discuss the drinking culture and maybe plan a few social events which don't focus on drinking. As always, both drinkers & non drinkers should feel free to attend...the more the merrier! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

Feeonaw wrote: »
    Just so everyone knows - drinkers are more than welcome to post here - we're not anti-drink by any way or means! The whole idea of this forum is to have a place where people can discuss the drinking culture and maybe plan a few social events which don't focus on drinking. As always, both drinkers & non drinkers should feel free to attend...the more the merrier! :cool:
    I would like to go to one of those sometime, whenever I'm in a group that drinks I tend to end up drinking (to make it less boring I guess). Would much rather do something more productive.

I would like to go to one of those sometime, whenever I'm in a group that drinks I tend to end up drinking (to make it less boring I guess). Would much rather do something more productive.

My best advice is to keep checkin' this forum for upcoming events - or our website www.nondrinkersgroup.com. Better still, why not start your own event?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭bassman22

kaimera wrote: »

I find just going away works wonders; not being surrounded by the culture makes it much easier.

It has been the opposite sometimes for me going away. Other people see you as a challenge... (I hate to walk away from a challenge at anything (and yes i am still a child!))

I think I've given up the nightclub scene, or at least for the moment. Never had a huge interest in it and now whatever I had is gone. (and think of the money you'll save!)

I do like a good house party though

OP maybe your friends will grow out of the getting sick thing. at 17/18 there was a lot of it, but by now, 22, it is quite rare

bassman22 wrote: »
    It has been the opposite sometimes for me going away. Other people see you as a challenge... (I hate to walk away from a challenge at anything (and yes i am still a child!))

I think I've given up the nightclub scene, or at least for the moment. Never had a huge interest in it and now whatever I had is gone. (and think of the money you'll save!)

I do like a good house party though

OP maybe your friends will grow out of the getting sick thing. at 17/18 there was a lot of it, but by now, 22, it is quite rare

I've definitely seen it at 22! And beyond. Some people just like binge drinking but they're not able to handle the aftermath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

im a part-time drinker(very occassionally!) I prefer to go out not drinking...but have sucombed to peer pressure and have because people say i should "am more fun" etc!
    Im not against drinking...but i wish i had more confidence to say no im not drinking and thats that! this may sound weird...but i feel paranoid drinking and when i am sober i feel more at ease with the world!

Right big decision...when people are trying to pressure me to drink,shall i just say bugger off???:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I think the drink culture in this country is taking a step upwards too and I being a non drinker, find it frightening. I don't like this mentality of people having to get drunk to have any sort of fun. The way people feel that to have had a good night out you don't remember it in ireland to me is very frightening!

I'm not having a go at drinkers here at all, I just don't understand that mentality of not being able to stop when you've had enough and inflicting your attitude and vomit on others. It very much so is a culture thing and hopefully more people will start to realise it isn't the be all and end all of having fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

tbh, personally, the closest i've ever come to renouncing the drink is that i suffer depression, and can get really really bad with it after drinking. other than that, im generally a massive fan of drinking, myself.

however, i have definitely had nights like that, Captain Finger, and ill tend to pick who i get drunk with, and when. for me, it's about chilling out, staying up late, and just being with good mates, chatting, having a laugh, and letting your guards and that down a bit.

i've done plenty of nights out sober, where there's just drunk peeps around me, and i guess i just kinda learnt to feed off their buzz, to keep up (that, and copious amounts of skittles), and enjoy myself knowing everyone else's inhibitions are down, and they're just having a laugh, and im free to do the same myself.

just importnat to know who you're out with, really. cosy night in with close mates and a few drinks can't be beaten.

• Advertisement
Advertisement