Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Offer

Options
  • 09-07-2008 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey guys I have my car on the market at the moment for 22k
    I just got a call from an Irish guy (with an Irish mobile no.) in relation to purchasing it. He asked me 3 Q's about it: 1. was it NCT'd, 2. No. of previous owners and 3. was the milage genuine then he offered me 20k straight away for it !! Why would he make an offer before even viewing it??
    Is this a scam??

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

He could be in love with the partic. model or something.
    I would probably look at it, but sher go along. A lot of times people will discuss price to see if you will drop the price. maybe it was too high for him to even justify looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Could be a dodgy one. Is is a high value vehicle? Dont mean to scare you but could this be a im gonna take it for a test drive and make of with it job. Request a license and hold on to it and make sure you have someone there with you too when the deal is taking place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭colorc

Its a 318 coupe and its priced the cheapest on all the advertising sites. I was thinking could he be a salesman and has a buyer lined up for it already???

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

simple answer - money talks. get a cash deposit

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well Not the pinacle of high value, but a nice car none the less. suffice to say im getting one next week (really) and i cant wait. Any way i would still follow my have someone there advice. Chances are if its priced reasonably its probably what he is looking for and will do the rest of the questions and the looking over it when he meets you. Some people are just sh**e on the phone and dont know what questions to be asking, simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

colorc wrote: »
    Is this a scam??

No one here's going to know if it is or not but I don't see anything wrong in whats hes done. He made you an offer lower than the prices because he doesn't have 22K, most likely he'll view the car and offer you less again if he likes its.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

He's done exactly what I would do.
    I would always make an offer on the phone rather than bothering coming to see a car the owner is not going to budge on. I wouldn't think its a concrete sale its a feeler is all.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I had a similar suitation when selling a car.
    Not as high value as yours though. A guy rang up and offered asking price from an ad I had on carzone.
    Said he loved the car and would come that evening with cash.
    He came, had a quick spin in it and gave me the cash straight away - no messing.

Easiest sale I could have had.
    When some people find what they want and they have the cash they will just buy it.
    Still I was a bit wary, though it all worked out grand.

Mik

Advertisement